Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I can compare it to nothing but a large door mat, ornamented at the edges with little tinkling rags something like the stained porcupine quills round an Indian moccasin.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
There was a hole or slit in the middle of this mat, as you see the same in South American ponchos.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But could it be possible that any sober harpooner would get into a door mat, and parade the streets of any Christian town in that sort of guise?

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I put it on, to try it, and it weighed me down like a hamper, being uncommonly shaggy and tick, and I thought a little damp, as though this mysterious harpooner had been wearing it of a rainy day.

Feeling pretty defeated right now. This Moby Dick thread has become a kind of therapy. :wink:
Again - really glad y'all are enjoying this!

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I went up in it to a bit of glass stuck against the wall, and I never saw such a sight in my life.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I tore myself out of it in such a hurry that I gave myself a kink in the neck.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I sat down on the side of the bed, and commenced thinking about this head-peddling harpooner, and his door mat.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
After thinking some time on the bed-side, I got up and took off my monkey-jacket, and then stood in the middle of the room thinking.