Moby Dick

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I then took off my coat, and thought a little more in my shirt-sleeves.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But beginning to feel very cold now, half undressed as I was, and remembering what the landlord said about the harpooner's not coming home at all that night, it being so very late, I made no more ado, but jumped out of my pantaloons and boots, and then blowing out the light tumbled into bed, and commended myself to the care of heaven.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Whether that mattress was stuffed with corn-cobs or broken crockery, there is no telling, but I rolled about a good deal, and could not sleep for a long time.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
At last I slid off into a light doze, and had pretty nearly made a good offing towards the land of Nod, when I heard a heavy footfall in the passage, and saw a glimmer of light come into the room from under the door.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Lord save me, thinks I, that must be the harpooner, the infernal head-pedlar.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
But I lay perfectly still, and resolved not to say a word till spoken to.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
Holding a light in one hand, and that identical New Zealand head in the other, the stranger entered the room and without looking towards the bed, placed his candle a good way off from me on the floor in one corner, and then began working away at the knotted cords of the large bag I before spoke of as being in the room.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
I was all eagerness to see his face, but he kept it averted fr some time while employed in unlacing the bag's mouth.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
This accomplished, however, he turned round -- when, good heavens! what a sight!