Monsters Inc. on Video an' DVD!!!!

kansasteen14

Reaction score
I have to say a few things Monsters Inc was a lot better than Shrek and Ice Age.also I think it was perhaps the best pixar film and I dont think Disney is ruining them so please stop saying that.also I will say that Disney not only claimed NBC after it became big but they did that to Roger Rabbit as well that is why Touchstone pictures mainly came for Roger Rabbit.and so what if Shrek had a PG rating so did lilo and stitch but they were still able to make a good family film which I cant say for Shrek..

GWGumby

Reaction score
My 2 year old gets scared during Monsters Inc. Not where you would expect, though. He runs out of the room every time Roz comes on the screen. He hates that particular Monster. Can't say I blame him.

I will step in and say that Disney has helped Pixar. They rejected early ideas in the original Toy Story because they felt that the characters (I believe Woody in particular) wasn't sympathetic enough. In fact if you watch some of those early story concepts of Toy Story you can see some really terrible ideas that thankfully were replaced by the movie we have today. Part of that change was due to Disney. So I will say that absolute creative freedom is not always necessarily a good thing. That being said, however, I can't see how making movies for a company who merely wants to exploit you for their own personal gain since they have you bound to a contract can inspire excellence.

Finally, in regards to the Oscar, I was torn between Shrek and Monsters. Both were good films, both expanded the bounds of what had appeared in both animated and CG films in the past. Neither were typical tired Disney song-and-dance pieces. I find it extremely ironic that Disney lost the very first animated Oscar, I'm just sad that Pixar lost at the same time. I'm also sad that Final Fantasy didn't get a nomination. I don't care what anyone says about the story, the work that went into that movie was absolutely amazing and deserves much more credit than it got. Surely it was labored over much more meticulously than Jimmy Neutron.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
My 2 year old gets scared during Monsters Inc. Not where you would expect, though. He runs out of the room every time Roz comes on the screen. He hates that particular Monster. Can't say I blame him.
Agreed! Roz, though one of my favorite characters (allong with Mike, Fungus and the Agreeable Snowman) was veeeerrrry freaky!!!!

But I have to say, (in regaurds to Antz and Bugs) I actually expected less from A Bug's Life. I saw Antz, and it blew me away! I really liked the more adult humor, and I liked the bigger named celebrities. But I saw Bugs and I loved it!!! Not on the level as Toy Story 1 & 2 or Monsters, but I liked it!

SO.. about this Nemo film.... is John Ratzenburger ( aka CLiff Clavin) going to be in this one too?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Wasn't he the voice of the school of fish in the teaser?

beaker

Reaction score
>>>I'm also sad that Final Fantasy didn't get a nomination. I don't care what anyone says about the story, the work that went into that movie was absolutely amazing and deserves much more credit than it got. <<<

I KNOW! It's heresy! Final Fantasy whether on th ebig screen or beautifully presented in the 2 disc special edition is hands down in my top 5 of last year(along with Monsters Inc, Made, Mulholland Drive, and the Pledge)

>>>But I have to say, (in regaurds to Antz and Bugs) I actually expected less from A Bug's Life. I saw Antz, and it blew me away! I really liked the more adult humor, and I liked the bigger named celebrities. <<<

I was really really surprised by Antz. I really thought itd be the lesser of the two Fall of 1998 bug cgi films...but to me it outshined A Bug's Life in every way(well maybe not colors, but in adventure, smart humour, etc) Then again, Im a big woody Allen fan.^_^

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Wasn't he the voice of the school of fish in the teaser?
Well, I haven't got Monsters Inc on video yet. I have to wait for Christmas, which is really tearing me appart!!! I need to get a rental card!!!

But I'm Glad that ol' Johnny boy is doing more vo work for Pixar. I mean, if anything John Ratzenburg being in a pixar film is an absolute! I swear, in every film, he just steals it away from the other characters for me. I had to buy an entire figure collection just to get one Yeti figure. I tried to get it at McDonalds, but to no avail! I saw one in a candy store that a little kid left behind, but I turned it in!

I just wished Karen Prell was here! I'd love have her discuss "For the Birds" with us!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Well, I haven't got Monsters Inc on video yet. I have to wait for Christmas, which is really tearing me appart!!! I need to get a rental card!!<<<

Oh no wait my friend, WalMArt has Monsters Inc 2-disc dvd set for the insane price of $14.88!

I just wished Karen Prell was here! I'd love have her discuss "For the Birds" with us!<<<

Oh yeah...For the Birds has to be my favorite PIXAR short ever(and Ive been seeing em for over a decade) Very very Muppety indeed!(The bird reminds me of an international Sesame Street Big Bird)

Drtooth

Reaction score
First of all, I do not have a DVD player! If I did.....well, I'd be a heck of a lot poorer, with this, the Muppets DVDs, the first and second season of the Simpsons, etc.

Secondly, my mother reserved it for me as a Christmas gift. When I go for Christmas, I'll get it And watch it a million times over, Just like my Emperor's New Groove vid!

Thirdly, about the Oscars, they had a CGI baised. I do not think they will have this nomination next time, since all we had was Ice Age and Vegitales (which I really got to see an episode of, I'm curious). Now, if it had all kinds of Animation, it would definately go to Spirited, or maybe Lilo and Stitch (both great films, I got to see the former, I have no money! It's that or get Muppet labs).

Fourthly, I loved for the Birds, and the goofy looking one kinda reminded me of Season 1 Big Bird. However, I liked Geri's Game just a bit more. I mean, an old guy playing against himself, and CHAETING!!! Man, that cracked me up. Loved his cameo in Toy Story 2!

beaker

Reaction score
>>>First of all, I do not have a DVD player! If I did.....well, I'd be a heck of a lot poorer, with this, the Muppets DVDs, the first and second season of the Simpsons, etc.<<<

I noticed at Walmart the vhs is about $15 or lower...but you can always rent it at Blockbuster...why wait?

>>>Thirdly, about the Oscars, they had a CGI baised. I do not think they will have this nomination next time, since all we had was Ice Age and Vegitales<<<<

Yeah, Ice Age was bland as can be. And Im not too much into christian vegetable children's cgi cartoons.

>>>Fourthly, I loved for the Birds, and the goofy looking one kinda reminded me of Season 1 Big Bird. <<<

Most definately!