More Snooze Features from Disney doth cometh

beaker

Reaction score
Yikes...right when ya thought there was hope of breaking the mold and taking new directions(Lio and Stitch)...just announced is Disney's traditional animated lineup for the next year and a half...

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14515

Dear gosh almighty...Why dont they just make Song of the South 2 and be done with it.

This article mentions these will be Disney's last two traditional animated features ever??? Geez, has Eisner lost his mind? Disney ditching traditional hand drawn animation is like the Muppets ditching the puppets. The mouse is clearly smoking crack.

Here was my respect for Disney after they released Fantasia 2000 and Emperor's New Groove:

:smile:

After they released Country Bears, endless cheapquels all in one year, and bungled Lasseter's hard work in Spirited Away:

:frown: :confused:

Here's what I think of the future of Disney after getting wind of this and other in development works:

:rolleyes: :frown:

Luke

Reaction score
Did we turn into a Disney forum all of a sudden ? :rolleyes:

Seriously, i don't think it matters whether Disney ditch hand drawn animation or even *gasp* to a certain extent if Henson dropped using puppets. What matters is the end product - if it makes the finished production better i say go for it !

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Yikes...right when ya thought there was hope of breaking the mold and taking new directions(Lio and Stitch)...just announced is Disney's traditional animated lineup for the next year and a half...

http://aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=14515

Dear gosh almighty...Why dont they just make Song of the South 2 and be done with it.

This article mentions these will be Disney's last two traditional animated features ever??? Geez, has Eisner lost his mind? Disney ditching traditional hand drawn animation is like the Muppets ditching the puppets. The mouse is clearly smoking crack.

Ha, I had to chuckle when I first saw the ad for "Home on the Range" in a Tinseltown calendar. It looks like Disney just rewound 40 years or something. Then again, that is not necessarily a bad thing. Most of Disney's earlier stuff was pretty darn good. Are they seriously halting traditionally animated films? Does that mean everything that's animated will be like "Toy Story" and "Monsters Inc."? I've loved their computer animated films so far, but I never thought it would replace the tried and true regular animation. I agree -- it would be a travesty!! I hope they change their mind... :frown:
Erin

GWGumby

Reaction score
I really like the look of these upcoming features. "Home on the Range" looks to be a return to the wacky cartoon comedy that "Emporer's New Groove" captured so wonderfully. Neither seems to be a corruption of a beloved fairy tail, nor an overly preachy allegory, or an uninspired straight-to-video sequel amped up for theatrical release. Just fun animated stories. I hope they do well.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I really like the look of these upcoming features. "Home on the Range" looks to be a return to the wacky cartoon comedy that "Emporer's New Groove" captured so wonderfully. Neither seems to be a corruption of a beloved fairy tail, nor an overly preachy allegory, or an uninspired straight-to-video sequel amped up for theatrical release. Just fun animated stories. I hope they do well.
Home on the range looks pretty cool and all, but I do not like the Brother Bear thing one bit! It's too much like Spirit or Pocahauntus in my opinion.

As for them going CGI all the way...(cough.. sell out) I think they nshould stick with Pixar. I mean, remember the snoozefest entitled Dinosaur? I fell asleep. I snuck into it after I saw Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas, and I felt cheated by it (even though I saw it for free and got free samples of gum after the showing) Even Rock Vegas was better written....

radionate

Reaction score
I don't buy for a minute that Disney will be giving up hand drawn animation. I remember the big hubabalou when ink and paint was no longer used for feature animation. This is being blown out of proportion (I hope), and certainly they would not close down the department that has been their bread and butter for so many years.

If they do, I will cry many a tear for what could have been.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Though, in my opinion, they should really think of getting some new blood in there... they're running out of ideas, and sequalling junk.... They really need to get more writers in there. And stop copying from classic liturature!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
Seriously, i don't think it matters whether Disney ditch hand drawn animation or even *gasp* to a certain extent if Henson dropped using puppets.
Thanks for that dubious insight Murgatoad :rolleyes:
(rhymes with wumbleteeds)

Have to say, not only do these next to features look boring as all get out, but definately not the epic last hurrah if they truly are moving away from pure traditional animation. Two movies about the old west Americana...real edgy.

I was hoping the 50th feature would be that Mickey Mosue Roger Rabbit huge crossover type thing, hmmm...

But man, at this alarming entropy, they should just go back to simple, scratchy turn of the century black face rodent cartoons with stereotyped Bugs Bunny Indians and cowboys.

Btw, WDW has frozen all new entires for employees...as well as major cutbacks in the new animation departments...poor Diz.
And Tooth your right, even *I* knew to steer clear of that snoozefest Dinosaur...what were they thinking, a cgi feature without Pixar? Man.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Btw, WDW has frozen all new entires for employees...
...snd that's not all they've frozen. :stick_out_tongue: Come on! Somebody had to say that. :big_grin:

radionate

Reaction score
Have to say, not only do these next to features look boring as all get out, but definately not the epic last hurrah if they truly are moving away from pure traditional animation. Two movies about the old west Americana...real edgy.
Let me preface this with I'm not trying to be mean, but why the heck does everything have to be edgy with you Cory? Do you know how boring your life is going to be if you expect everyday to be edgy? Do you know how obnoxious and annoying you'll be to everyone too? There's a lot to appreciate in life, and it doesn't always have to be edgy.

Disney is experimenting. The same thing Walt did when he was alive.

Have you seen very many animated films dealing with America in its early days? I consider that kind of edgy, but I refuse to utter that word anymore, as you've made it loose any impact around here, and turned it into a mockery.

I really pity the things in life you are missing, as you would rather whine that they aren't "edgy" or representing the fabulous decade of the 80's. More times then not, they could really be considered “edgy”, but not thru your eyes.

I just don’t understand. In the last 15 years of Disney animation, isn’t winning a Golden Globe for best Musical or Comedy edgy? Isn’t being the first and only animated film nominated for an Academy Award for best picture, or blending traditional animation with CGI, or having stories based on classic European literature, American Folklore, Chinese legends, and an animator’s own idea edgy? What about going back in time and using watercolor techniques from the 40's? Or how about doing an animated film on Native Americans? (How many feature films in today’s world are about Native Americans?) The list goes on and on.

Try to understand things from other perspectives, you’d be amazed at what you might see from looking at things from all different angles. Life’s too short to see the world from a single point of view.