Most tearjerking moments

Chris Gawley

Reaction score
Sorry, but I had to do a double post!

A moment in Sesame Street history that still puts me in a sombre state, was when I realized that Big Bird wasn't mispronouncing Hooper's Store anymore!

He continued to mispronounce it for a while after Mr. Hooper's passing, & when he stopped it symbolized to me the end of an era & the loss of a link to my childhood.

I guess you really can't go home again (at least until the "Old School" dvd box set comes out)!

Kiki

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
There actually have been episodes when Oscar was depressed, and not mean and Grouchy. Like in the season finale from the 1980-1981 Season (Same one that featured Mr. Rogers) when it was very hot outside and everybody was in Hooper's Store to keep cool. Telly told Mr. Hooper Oscar looked depressed, and he suggested everyone go out there and bother him so he will be himself again. Olivia thought it was a crazy idea, but they all went out anyways, and Oscar was back to his Grouchy self again. Another time he got depressed was in 1993 when a Grouch named Prunella came to Sesame Street when she was driving by Oscar's can and her motorhome broke down. Oscar had hopes of Prunella settling on Sesame Street, because he was really starting to like her. At the end of the episode when Prunella gets her motorhome running again and leaves, Oscar sinks down into his trashcan moaning and feeling depressed and lonely. Big Bird and Snuffy give him a polaroid picture they took of a mess they made in Big Bird's room, but it still doesn't cheer him up.

As for a tearjerking moment. I'd have to say it was around 1997 when a Bird Art Collector named Leo Birdelli offered Big Bird 100 Bags of Bird seed for his picture of Mr. Hooper, but Big Bird explains to him that he could never sell it, and tells him all about Mr. Hooper and they show a few flashbacks of the old days, and in one of these Mr. Hooper is seen with a photo Album and he's singing that goes "When I...... was as little as you are...... I worked in my papa's store. I delivered the groceries and brought back the money, and on weekends I did even more...... When I was as little as you are........" Then it shows Big Bird and Leo Birdelli back in Big Bird's nest area and the they are both quiet. Then Leo asks gently "What happened to him" and Big Bird says "Oh, he died..... and it was very very ver-ry hard saying goodbye to him because I really loved him, I'm sorry Mr. Birdelli, but I couldn't trade this picture for even 1 million billion bags of Birdseed" then Big Bird looks at the picture sadly and says "I can't say goodbye to you again Mr. Hooper" Pretty touching for a 90's episode. It also surprized me they did a tribute episode to Mr. Hooper, since at that time it had been 15 years since he died. I guess it was basically an episode for us classic fans. :smile:
Saaay, I remember the one 'bout the art collector! Man, I havn't thought 'bout that for donkey's years! Indeed a tear-jerking moment, it was.

Kiki

Reaction score
Moments that pull the heartstings:
  • 'We are all earthlings' I dunno! It sounds sweet;
  • 'Bein' green'. Gorgous song, reminds me of our late Jim;
  • The death of Mr.Hooper. ("Big Bird, he's not coming back...")
  • 'Rainbow Connection'. Um, that wasn't on SS either, was it? I don't think so, but anywayhoo;
  • The episode when the Bird guy tried to convince Big Bird to sell his drawing of Mr. Hooper to him;
  • Er, I think I've covered everything. I shall think up s'more.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I don't actually cry over much, and keep in mind that most of what I know about Sesame Street I just learned/heard in the past few years. If I had seen certain things when I was little, I might have been differently affected by them. The one that almost makes me cry though, is Things That I Remember. The first time I heard it, I got the feeling that it must have been done shortly after Jim died, and it's just such a beautiful song to begin with... I don't know, it just seemed to have a little something of a tribute to it. Can anyone confirm when it was done?

Thanks

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
It was in 1993, and It was steve's first time preformng Erine on the show.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
It was actually in 1998 and it was a tribute to Jeff Moss, the head writer for Sesame Street who had cancer at the time, but was in denial that he was dying. Jeff Moss died shortly after the song was wrote.