Movies You Like But Everyone Else Hates.

Eyeball

Reaction score
I really loved what the actors did for the characters in the first Flintstones movie. But I can understand why the movie isn't universally praised. The overall execution is a bit confused and some things that work well in cartoons just end up looking weird and awkward in real life, lol.
This 100x, the first flinstones was actualy enjoyable and can actually be watched with people in the room without cringing, but i think i would actualy cry if i had to watch viva rock vegas again...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I'd say the only thing wrong with The Flintstones movie is casting Rosie O'Donnel as Betty. She gives a good performance, but is too overweight to be Betty.

Another movie I like that seemingly everybody hates is Baby's Day Out (though I saw a clip from Siskel and Ebert's review and Gene Siskel actually liked it). I recently got the DVD, and the audio commentary is a great listen.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I like those Pebbles and Bamm Bamm songs.
But we didn't need two of them, and one of them sure as heck shouldn't have been about what they want to do when they grow up. They take too much time out of the film better left exploring the actual spy subplot that, again, doesn't come in until 3/4th's of the movie. I liked the film, but was disappointed by that. At least the two live action ones got their respective plots underway within the first half of the film.

Can I just say I was fine with Rosie O'Donnell playing Betty. Betty in the cartoon is a stick. We have enough sticks in Hollywood, lol.
Eh, she got the laugh down right, at any rate. It's strange that the Flintstones themselves were well cast, but the Rubbles seemed off. I mean, I really really like Rick Moranis, but he came off more neurotic than he should have. The second one's casting was all over the map. Only Fred and Gazoo really seemed to be cast well. Steven Baldwin played Barney as a complete idiot, and Kristen Johnson was a little awkward and gawky to play Wilma. But you did get that wonderful sequence with Harvey Korman as Wilma's father, and Alan Cummings's Mick Jagged impersonation was the highlight of the movie.

Still, I give those movies credit for trying harder than most of these things. Most of the time they can't even get the character's names right, most of the time the ignorance of the source material shines through, and the changes are far from artistic license and more just laziness. It really speaks to that genre that even when they get it right no one likes them.