1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppet Babies DVD Box Sets

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by erniebert1234ss, Aug 3, 2004.

1. MustangRockstar

MustangRockstar New Member

One reason I filed it under a constantly churning rumor.

Though it is cool to see so many people who get the newsletter. I primarily get it to keep up with my Disney Comics hobby, specifically Scrooge and the Ducks.

2. haydenschoen

haydenschoen New Member

I'm new here, so maybe this is old news. I just found this website called comickorner.com and they claim to be selling a 5 disc dvd box set with 35 episodes. Anyone tried this? is it legal what they are doing? I am very tempted to try buying but I would like confirmation that it is legit before I do it. Here is the link:

comickorner.com/product_info.php?products_id=348

3. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I'm convened it's a matter of time.

4. AnakinGonzo

AnakinGonzo New Member

Um...don't they already have the rights to use those clips? They're in the show already, right? Therefore they have the right to use them.

5. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Hmmm...Good point, AnakinGonzo (oh, the jokes I could tell about THAT name...).

Yeah, all the "live-action clips" from the show would have to be in there. Even the World Trade Center. The events of 9-11 hurt more just by that MB episode "Six To Eight Weeks" featuring the WTC.

BJ

6. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Gosh,I just wish Playhouse Disney would air them.Anyone know the e-mail to Playhouse Disney?

7. MustangRockstar

MustangRockstar New Member

Not exactly.

When TV shows negotiate rights to clips, they negotiate them for the actual airing of the show.

Nowadays many shows also negotiate rights for DVD's and VHS but back in the early 80's the concept of home video was still fairly new and the concept of TV shows on DVD or VHS wasn't even on the table.

While some clips were probably worked out for home distribution (those companies with whom Henson had a working relationship) the odds of all the footage being cleared is pretty unlikely.

The whole TV show on DVD craze really caught the industry by surprise, so little planning was ever considered for securing the rights to a lot of shows which can get pretty expensive.

While certainly possible, it's most likely that this is a show that's going to have a hard time coming out.

8. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

Only if they do it right!

Remember, MB was one of the first shows to make it onto VHS in a professional manner (and I have a good number of them). I think that home video rights transfer to DVD, but I may be wrong (thanks DMCA, you're not much of a help at all).

BJ

9. Any idea who actually owns the rights to Muppet Babies? Are they owned by the same company as Muppets Take Manhattan cos that particular movie wasn't sold with the rest of the Muppet stuff to Disney. It is still owned by Tristar Pictures.

10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Disney owns the rights to Muppet Babies.

11. Do DIsney own the rights the the Muppet Babies scene in Muppets Take Manhattan? This copyright stuff is confusing!

12. minor muppetz

No. Disney owns the rights to the characters (excluding the Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock characters used in the film), Sony owns the rights to the movie. I think Disney might have some ownerrship (If The Jim Henson Company had any kind of ownership of the film, then Disney would have some ownership). I do not know who owns the rights to the "I'm Gonna Always Love You" music video that was produced to promote the movie (I've heard that it is different from the scene in the movie). I am not sure if Disney owns the rights to the songs or the script.

13. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

Disney and Tristar BOTH own it. When henson sold the mUppets to Disney, Disney got Hensons stake (Hensons 50% in the film) in the film along with "MUppets from Space" and "Kermits Swamp Years" :smirk:

14. minor muppetz

I think that only Tristar has the distribution rights to the movie, though.

15. a_Mickey_Muppet

a_Mickey_Muppet Well-Known Member

thats right!... BUT ONLY if disney desides to buy the Tirstar half

16. yanilover

yanilover New Member

I know where you can get Muppet Babies on dvd ;) !!! it's kinda expensive though. I saw it at TVDVDPLANET.COM

17. Marky

Marky Member

The show wasn't that great. I don't think we'll get any new Muppet DVD's for a long, long time (unless Columbia re-re-releases the films it still can).

18. Lamina

Lamina New Member

19. Marky

Marky Member

20. Lamina

Lamina New Member