1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppet Babies opening sequence question

Discussion in 'Muppet Babies' started by Muppet dude, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Muppet dude

Muppet dude Active Member

I have a question about a particular "Muppet Babies" opening title sequence:

I know the one commonly seen on Youtube (starts with Baby Rowlf on the piano, Fozzie on the rocking horse, etc.) was from the first and second seasons, but when did THIS opening first be put into use?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwaddpsKdKg

I am guessing it first began to be used in 1987, judging by the animation style. I know a shorter opening sequence debuted in the 1990 season that combined clips from both intros and started with Baby Kermit on a toy train. But which season did that second long opening start?
  2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I can't tell you, but I do know for a fact they they showed this opening during the seventh season, though.
  3. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I've never seen that opening...Sorry, can't really help.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I would say that is the most common one I remember. it still looks like it was animated In Japan (I may be wrong), so it could have been season 3 at least when this premired. This one, and the shortedned version used in the final seasons (and syndication and the Buena Vista released VHS) are the most common you'll find.

Personally, I like the Toei animated first opening. If anyone ever watched anime, you'll notice that the opening and closing themes (much like American cartoons) have a fuller style of animation than the shows themselves, leading to more complex camera angles and rotations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ju75XsCO4o&mode=related&search= is the one you see on youtube the most, right? If you watch closely, especially the "I've got my computer!" "I flip through the air" segment, you see a very complex animated pull out and rotation. given to the fact that the robot Bunsen Honeydew also seems to move in a very Japanese animated way, this wasn't too subtle on being Japanese animation for American Television.

By contrast, watch the old TMNT opening from the first few seasons, also animated by Toei - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI0FbYe3lRE this also has the same style of rotations and quick scene sutting. And pay attention to the background for "Michelangelo is a party dude" segment. Those balloons and bubbles are quite similar to what they would later use for Sailor Moon's trasnformation sequence.
  5. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

Hmmmm. I've thought a lot about that. I actually asked about the different openings before and no one answers. I'd say that particular opening started in the second season, since that was the year they made that episode with the footage from Ghostbusters. (Beaker blasting Slimer)

The one I most commonly remember was the shortened version of the first opening. I've usually seen that one in syndication.

Hmmmm. I've noticed in a lot of seventh season episodes, they used a different opening with the shorter version of the theme song and clips such as Gonzo in someone's ceral and Kermit on the train. At least that was the opening that was used for those eps that are on 'You Tube.'
  6. Muppet dude

I know the second season had the old 1984 opening, so I'm betting the newer intro debuted in the third or fourth season, but most likely the fourth.
  7. Daffyfan2003

Wow! I never knew that. I thought I remembered seeing the later episodes with the shortened opening theme. I guess I'm thinking of seasons 5 and 6 and syndicated eps. Did they redub the voices for Animal, Bunsen and Skeeter in the new opening? That was around the time Dave Coulier and Frank Welker took over the voices for those characters.

I'm guessing it wasn't redubbed. After all, in the later "Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo" episodes when Don Messick took over from Lennie Weinrib as the voice of Scrappy, they still kept Lennie's Scrappy in the opening credits, even though Don voiced him on the show. I'm guessing they did the same thing with "Muppet Babies," since I haven't noticed too much of a difference in the characters voices in each opening theme. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
  8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Actually the sixth season started with Kermit on the Train. But on the season opener of the seventh "Muppet Babies The Next Generation" They used the second longer theme for that episode on CBS. The version of that on You Tube is mostly from a Nickelodeon airing.
  9. Muppet dude

They didn't redub Animal and Bunsen and Skeeter's voices for the second opening, but for some reason they re-did Nanny's line (it still sounded like Barbara Billingsley voicing her). The copy of the old opening commonly seen on Youtube had the second version of the opening theme dubbed onto it. My uncut copies of "What Do You Want to Be When You Grow Up?" and "The Great Cookie Robbery" both have the original long intro and Nanny's line sounds a bit different there. Don't believe me? Compare these clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsWmMj5BjOQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ju75XsCO4o
  10. Daffyfan2003

Oh, yeah. I remember seeing "The Great Cookie Robbery" on Daily Motion with the original opening. I sort of thought that was a mistake, because I was thinking the new opening started in the second season, but I guess that was how it originally aired. I do find it a bit strange that they would re-dub Nanny's line when her voice hasn't changed on the show. But I guess I'll check that out.

Also, I've seen a different version of the second opening for the opening for "Muppet Babies and Little Monsters." I'm guessing the second "Muppet Babies" opening came out recently before "Little Muppet Monsters." Then when that show was added to the "Muppet Babies" time slot, they modified the opening to include both shows.

One thing I'm still not sure about was the seventh season opening. Someone has said they played that 'storybook' opening for that season. Most seventh season eps I've watched online, play a shorter version of the opening. Did they use both openings that season? That would be my guess on that.
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I think they used the season long opening and the same opening from season six during the seventh season.
  12. Daffyfan2003

Oh, I get it now. Thanks.
  13. Did you notice that that first Youtube clip didn't have any sound effects over the top of the theme music?
  14. Daffyfan2003

Actually, I should check that again. Both those clips that Muppet Dude posted were from the original opening, but I didn't quite notice to many differences, so that's something I might want to check on.

Also, in another post someone posted the different versions of closing credits for the different seasons. I'd sort of like to see something like that for all the different openings of the show.

Let's see. I know the first one was used in seasons 1 and 2, Then as somebody mentioned, the storybook opening probably started in season 3. Then I guess the "Muppet Babies and Little Monsters" opening came out a little bit after that. Then there was a new opening used for later eps, with :) on the train. Also, they built the show's logo out of blocks.

Then I can think of two that were used in syndication. One was the shorter version of the first opening which is seen on a lot of the 'You Tube' videos and that's the one I remember mostly when I watched the show as a kid. Then there was another opening used in syndication which was similar to the final season's 'train' opening, but with different episode clips. (Ex: With a naked :concern: finding something scary in the closet.)

That makes six, six vonderful Muppet Babies openings. Ah ah ah ah ah!

If there's anything I left out, let me know.
  15. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

Little Muppet Monsters aired at the beginning of season 2.
  16. Daffyfan2003

Oh, I was waiting for someone to reply to that one. Though I have seen a clip of the 'Muppet Babies' and 'Little Monsters' opening with Princess Piggy in the tower and Kermit with a sword and shield. However, if that opening of Muppet Babies didn't appear until season 3, then that wouldn't really be possible unless the clip with Kermit with the sword and shield appeared on 'Muppet Babies and Little Monsters' before it appeared on the regular 'Muppet Babies' opening. This is kind of confusing.

Another thing that confuses me is that the first opening of the show features a scene of the 'Muppet Babies' playing 'Wizard of Oz' characters and walking on the Yellow Brick Road. I believe if I'm not mistaken, that one was from a season two episode. So how could it have appeared in the season one opening. I guess the production order was sort of messed up there.
  17. Daffyfan2003

Okay, sorry for the double post, but I checked the 'Muppet Babies and Little Monsters' opening on You Tube and as it turns out the Kermit with the sword and shield thing didn't appear in that one. I guess that did come later after all. I thought I saw it there before, but maybe I was thinking of something else. You can disregard the first part of my post. I am kind of curious about the other thing though. How a scene from a second season ep can appear in a first season opening. Any thoughts on this?
  18. Muppet dude

In the second season they DID continue using the first season opening. Also, that clip with the Muppets as the Wizard of Oz characters (predating the 2005 TV movie) during that intro was made for the opening sequence. They did a similar scene in a Season 2 episode, which was also shown during the "Storybook" intro. That one used some clips from older episodes while the original opening had new clips made just for the intro.
  19. Muppet dude

For those interested, here are the lyrics to the Little Muppet Monsters opening...

CHORUS: Muppet Babies, and Little Monsters too!
    Welcome to our house, there's lots of fun for you!
    (Cue Muppet Babies opening clip)
    BABY SCOOTER: I've got my computer...
    BABY SKEETER: I flip through the air!
    BABY ROWLF: I'll play the piano,
    BABY GONZO: And I got blue hair, ha!
    (trumpet solo)
    BABY GONZO: HUH?
    (cue Muppet Babies closing credits theme)
    CHORUS: Come down in the basement, putting on shows...
    WOMEN SINGERS: Little Muppet Monsters!
    CHORUS: Kermit and the Penguins and Pigs in Space, too,
    Everybody's joining Tug and Molly and Boo...
    SANDWICH: This is ridiculous!
    WOMEN SINGERS: Little Muppet Monsters!
    Little Muppet Monsters!
    CHORUS: Muppet Babies, we make our dreams come true...
    Muppet Babies, we'll do the same for you...
    Muppet, Muppet, Muppet, Muppet,
    Babies, Babies, Babies, Babies,
    And monsters too!
  20. Daffyfan2003

Oh, I get it. So that's not a clip from that show. It's just a coincidence. I'll have to check both of those again and make some comparisons.