Muppet Christmas Carol on DVD?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
But is the Australia version in PAL format? Is that true about Harry Potter?? How insane. I feel we were given a great gift that most titles were released in widescreen when DVDs came out just to have it yanked away because of some brainless consumers and bean-counting execs. Argh!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Well, (insert expletive here)! I will just have to hope that Disney changes their mind and releases a widescreen version. It's funny that they claim poor quality for not putting two versions on one DVD when cropping the film automatically degrades it!

On another note, a friend of mine who is a die hard Madonna fan is refusing to buy the cheap cropped version of Dick Tracy they have released. I think they may go back to their original practice once pressure is placed on them from those of us on the other side of the argument! We need to bug the (insert expletive here) out of the Disney people.

CraigD

Reaction score
Agreed.

Warner's and Disney are the big problems over here. Warners with releasing titles in NTSC, and Disney have the problem of mysteriously forgetting to give us extras on certain discs. They have gotten better, but we still sometimes get entirely ripped off by them by not including the extras Region 1 gets.

That makes me very mad.

Craig

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I guess they think if we're starved for the DVD we'll take anything. They are wrong.

On another note, I was watching primetime television tonight and noticed that more and more shows are "enhanced for widescreen TV". Wow! Ultimately these TVs will be a reality and the new format will me anamorphic widescreen.

The crooks (oops, I mean execs) at Disney know this, but want us to buy another copy ten years from now. You know, I doubt this release will even have any extras. They are so cheap. I wonder if they would treat the Muppets better if they did own them?

Luke

Reaction score
Disney Contacts

Hi Guys

Just in case people will find it easier to have them all in one place or haven't written them down yet i thought i'd do a post where people can find all the info on who they need to complain to.

PHONE :-

1-800-723-4763 - This will connect you to the people in charge of DVD support OR 1-800-477-2811 - This is a more general number for customer relations.

Willis Nalle - (818) 560-4062 at Buena Vista Domestic Public Relations

EMAIL Via Web Form :-

http://studio.go.com/cgi-bin/gmail/generic_mail.cgi?template=video/dvd_feedback/feedback.tpl

SNAIL MAIL :-

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
Attn. Consumer Relations
3rd Floor
800 Winneconne Ave
Neenah, WI 54956

OR

David Jessen
c/o Buena Vista Home Entertainment
350 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank CA 91521-4691
USA

OR

Robert Chapek
President - Buena Vista Home Entertainment
350 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank CA 91521-4691
USA

I would suggest you write to Robert Chapek and CC a copy of the letter to David Jessen and Consumer Relations.

smcguire

Reaction score
When I called, I was told to also send e-mail to:

disneyinfo@disneyhelp.com

if you want a direct e-mail address instead of a web form to fill out.

When you contact Disney, remember:

* Be polite. You're less likely to be taken seriously if you rant, insult, swear, etc. Just be firm about your disappointement, explain what you want, and why you want it.

* Mention specific titles (in this case, Muppet Treasure Island and Muppet Christmas Carol) that you will not buy because they are not widescreen. After that, you can mention that you won't buy other Disney titles that aren't in their original theatrical presentation either.

* If you've got a kid, be sure to mention that; Disney's supposed angle on this is that these are "family" films and "families" don't like black bars caused by widescreen.

Hope this helps!

FER SURE

Reaction score
That address for Neenah Wi will do you no good at all. I live 5 min. from there and I can promiss you it is not a Disney office of any importance. They are an outside firm that basically handles technical problems with discs and they also support the disc replacement program. From my experience as a Disney cast member sending your letter here would be like sending it to guest relations, all you would get is a sugar coated response. Your opinion would then be catogorized and placed within a monthly report. Don't waste your time with that address.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Luke-

Thank you very much! I will definitely be contacting them (and being polite about my disappointment). LOL!

Luke

Reaction score
Yeah i understood that the more general 800 numbers and customer relations addresses would give you a generic reply and just get filed away but it's important to give people the official address - some people don't like writing direct to people they don't know. I however, don't care - they get paid thousands upon thousands anyway ! LOL !

Obviously i'd strongly suggest writing, faxing or calling people where specific names have been given. I don't have the office number for BVHE in the states but i'm sure you could find it through the operator in the states if people wanted to call them. David Jessen in particular is very helpful in these kinda cases, and trying to contact the president of BVHE will likely get you forwarded to someone important. As for the press office guy, just hassle them and they'll likely bring it up at some meeting or another - after all this is all bad press for them so tell them the site address and ask them if they realise the rap they are taking.

I just agree with everything thats being said, i don't think it would take much for them to offer it in widescreen and theres probably still time to change their mind. It seems weird that these are the only current crop being presented in full frame format - could it be Henson who are insisting on this format for some reason ?

I hope that this could be well supported on the main site as well - i think for this to really work you need a lot of attention and a thread on the forum clearly isn't going to be enough. If MC is a site where people go to buy products then Disney need to see that the fans are being told that they are being given a poor deal - if you just add a link to amazon they are getting exactly what they want and the majority of people won't know any different.