Muppet Christmas Display at Macy's in NYC

MuppetFan123

Reaction score
Hey All

Just thought I'd pass a lil bit of info along to you in regards to the Muppets and Macys this holiday season.

Here is what the paper had to say in regards to the display:

"When 7,000 people pass your store every hour, how can you catch their attention? With classic characters, says Joseph. Starting Nov. 22, passersby will catch mischievous Muppets running wild along Broadway, disguised as tourists. The original Muppets, on loan from Jim Henson Studios, will be animated in six displays. "The characters are so much like New Yorkers, always grumbling and grousing about the city," Joseph says. "But they'd never leave it."

I will be taking photos of this display as soon as this opens and will post them here for all who can't make it to NYC to see.

This isn't the 1st time that the Muppets have appeared in Macy's window. When A Muppet Christmas Carol opened up, the one side of Macy's was decked out with the Muppets showcasing various scenes from the movie.

Maybe a bunch of us from Muppet Central can get together and view the window display.

Hope to see all ya Muppet fans there

Mike

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Oh thanks for the info Mike! I Wish i could go! Thank's! we cant wait to see the pictures when you take them:wink:

Zachary,

Chilly Down

Reaction score
That's awesome, Mike! Please do take pictures for the rest of us. :smile:

The person writing the article and the Macy's person both made mistakes. "The original Muppets"? Well, the original Kermit was made in 1955 and is preserved in the archives. The original Miss Piggy looks nothing like she does now. And if by "original" the author meant the current puppets of the most famous characters, that ain't gonna happen either. Those actually need to be used for filming! More than likely, some electronic-controlled versions of the characters will be built specifically for this (unless they have some leftover characters from previous displays). Also, what do they mean "disguised as tourists"? They're Muppets, not superheroes. They don't have secret identities. Either they're DRESSED as tourists or they're not. Lastly, since when the Muppets known for "grumbling and grousing" about New York City??

I also have to wonder what was meant by "running wild on Broadway." One gets the impression of costumed characters running up and down the street, but the rest of the article suggests a store display, in which case they'd likely be mechanical characters as noted earlier.

Oh, well. At any rate, it should be fun to see the display (or pictures of it, at least). Thanks again, Mike!

Luke

Reaction score
They could use the wire full body ones that were made for the parody posters and things i guess, but even then dunno if they could be animated.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Luke,

Yeah its just basic animatronics.

So they can wave, or move slightly.

It would still be nice to see tho, Tiffany's had Kermit dressed as Bob Cratchit one year when Muppet Christmas Carol came out !

We also had the full Mopatop puppet in Hamleys window once !

See ya

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'd love to see pictures of this, if you can get it!

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
Window unveiling will be tomorrow (the 22nd according to the press release).

See, working at the news has its moments....

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

Someone should take a video camera along and video tape this !

It will make a GREAT trade item !

and i know i would !

See ya

Muppets1985

Reaction score
I'm GOING!!!! Yeahhhhhhh °o°

Hey Mike I'll be in NYC for Macy's I FINLLY coned my Mom and Dad in lettng drive down there, I like in NY so NYC is only a 5 hour drive so its NOT that bad, MAYBE i'll see ya there?!! IF u wana look for me i'll be whereing my Mickey Santa Hat from WDW, b/c i wana hang with some MC peps. LOL.

later - Stevie °o°

Disney BUY the Muppets...PLEASE!!!!! :frown:

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
OOO...trading would be festive. I needs me a copy of Down at Fraggle Rock....