Muppet Convention Thread #2: Where Should it be Held?

bandit

Reaction score
Hahahahaha.......
*strokes chin* Oooorrr doooo weeee? Hmmmmmm *nods sagely*

Borples

Reaction score
"We are HAVING a conVENtion in your TOWN. You want to help us out with that, don't you, mon amis? ...Don't you, mon amis?" :mad:

1) Okay, I think this was addressed earlier but not answered? What are we calling ourselves? In reality, we're a small group within one internet-based Muppet fan community. That's not an impressive way to sign a letter. Are we a committee? An exploration committee? Are we really going to call this thing HenCon? Because I can't think of any better ideas, but it seriously makes me think of :cluck::cluck::cluck:.

2) What exactly are we asking the Chamber of Commerce for? Permission? Assistance? Venue suggestions? Date suggestions? Banners in downtown Greenville? All of the above? I'm just asking because I toyed with the idea of working on a letter this morning. But, being new at this sort of thing, I really have no idea what we might want or expect from the city.

3) Are there any potential benefits to the city that we can mention in the letter? I don't think we can promise a huge crowd the first year. Should we mention our intention of making it an annual event? Does anyone have good examples of fan conventions that started out small and quickly became A Big Thing?

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Answers (at least, what I think they should be):

1) First off, I think we should be called HenCon like you've suggested or HensonCon (both being short for Jim Henson convention). We should most likely do that and say that we cater to a variety of Henson/Muppet/Sesame fandoms all in one or we resurrect the name MuppetFest, but maybe add the word 'fan' in it to make sure we are a fan-run thing and, elsewhere, we put emphasis on our span of fandoms. We should also add in that, while we aren't associated with them, ToughPigs has a wide number of adult fans that might also be excited to come. Adding that together we probably have over 30,000 to 50,000 fans. Just my guess, because ToughPigs doesn't have a place that keeps track of how many members they have. We are a small group, so just kind of getting some statistics for you.

2)All of the above. We really just want their okey-dokey before we contact any guests or schedule dates.

3) Not sure how to answer. Though I would enjoy it if we made this annual or bi-annual (every two years).

panmanthe2nd

Reaction score
I like HenCon, but people won't know what it's about if they see the name on a poster, when walking past. Maybe HensonCon, with something like "A convention celebrating the life and works of Jim Henson" written under the name on banners, posters and stuff?

bandit

Reaction score
Ooo! HensonCon! That really rolls off the tongue. I like it! And you know, you can officially call it that for now....and then on buttons or banners you can use shorthand 'HenCon' to give it the right snap.
For now, that could work as our 'Cloverfield' if you know what I mean. A working name.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
Well I gowth Henson con..... the hencon thing was kind of a joke but who knows if it catches on..... I reccomend any letters we send out at this point are signed Jim Henson Convention Exploratory comittee as we are really just gauging the feasibility of this at the point and it uses big words wich makes us sound more official (and super brainy :smile:). Ialso have been saying this for a while that we really are a comitee at this point and perhaps someone should start gathering together a list of who that comitee is (which is pretty much anyone who has thrown in there 2 cents worth on either of these threads). And its good to see Beakerboy on board here too..as a) You started this conversation and b) since you posted again it seems like this topic has heated up and c) You really had some great things to say today.....

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I also think we should set up a private chat room/website somehwere as I think we will need to start having "meetings" soon. Virtual meetings but meetings none the less....also we need to start spreading the word to other Muppet websites/fans out there because we want to get support for this beyond just talking on this website...and those are my overblown thoughts for the day......come on can you all feel it...I think we are at the start of something that will be big someday...maybe not at first...but some day...so don't give up