Muppet Family Christmas OR Very Muppet Christmas?

BEAR

Reaction score
Actually Minor Muppetz is right. Prairie was there just without lines. I remember now. Still, it would have been more appropriate for Prairie to be a part of the Sesame Street pageant. Fran Brill was probably just not available to perform her.

As for the Telly thing, I meant that at the time of this special Telly was a fairly prominant character and Martin Robinson performs Telly much more often. That's all.

Didn't Gladys have lines?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Didn't Gladys have lines?
Gladys wasn't in this special, but there was a black and white cow who sang a line in Deck The Halls. Richard Hunt performed that cows voice (I've read that Terry Angus performed that cow in that scene, though it's weird that Richard didn't perform the one character he voiced in that scene) and used Gladys' voice for that cow, so maybe it was planned to have Gladys in that scene but they mistakenly used the wrong cow.

Xerus

Reaction score
Muppet Family Christmas will always be my all time favorite MUPPET special.

The four Muppet worlds, Muppet Babies, Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock all come together and interact with each other. It was great seeing a live action baby Animal, Doc meeting the Muppets, Kermit and Robin visiting the Fraggles, and Robin giving Grover a Fraggle pebble.

GROVER: "This Fraggle pebble is for me? Oh, I love Christmas!"

It was great hearing Frank Oz use the word, Fraggle, since he didn't work on Fraggle Rock.

BEAR

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Muppet Family Christmas will always be my all time favorite MUPPET special.

The four Muppet worlds, Muppet Babies, Muppet Show, Sesame Street, and Fraggle Rock all come together and interact with each other. It was great seeing a live action baby Animal, Doc meeting the Muppets, Kermit and Robin visiting the Fraggles, and Robin giving Grover a Fraggle pebble.

GROVER: "This Fraggle pebble is for me? Oh, I love Christmas!"

It was great hearing Frank Oz use the word, Fraggle, since he didn't work on Fraggle Rock.
You know, I never really thought about it, but that pebble gets passed to each sub-family. Boober Fraggle gives it to Robin who gives it to Grover. Probably the closest connection between Sesame Street and the Fraggles. "This Fraggle pebble is for me?!" I wonder if Grover even knows what the heck a Fraggle is. Ah well...he was excited to get the rock. What doesn't please Grover? :smile:

janicegroupie

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
And I love a good running gag- like the "Be careful of the icy patch" bit.
That has to be one of the best Muppet running gags of all time. My mom and I still say that when it's icy. It's just classic.

BEAR

Reaction score
And the best part about the "icy patch" gag is that is doesn't get old even the 20th time you hear it. The funniest thing is when the whole group comes throught the door and one by one slips and falls, pops back up and continues, like its some kind of circus act.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've never seen A Muppet Family Christmas before, but I've heard it's good. I didn't like It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie too much...it didn't seem to have the feel of a good family-friendly Muppet movie. That one got WA-A-A-A-Y to edgy as far as Muppet movies are concerned. And plus, that scene in "The Dot"...:eek: were my eyes playing tricks on me, or was Scooter in a thong?!

rexcrk

Reaction score
Definitely Muppet Family Christmas... even though I've only seen the edited DVD. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie was good and all, but it lacked the heart that Muppet Family Christmas had.

BEAR

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
I've never seen A Muppet Family Christmas before, but I've heard it's good. I didn't like It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie too much...it didn't seem to have the feel of a good family-friendly Muppet movie. That one got WA-A-A-A-Y to edgy as far as Muppet movies are concerned. And plus, that scene in "The Dot"...:eek: were my eyes playing tricks on me, or was Scooter in a thong?!
Then as soon as you are able to, go find yourself a copy of MFC. It is truly feel good Muppets at its best, atleast as far as Christmas is concerned. There is really no big plot but it is just good and clever fun. The writing is wonderful. What a fun project it must have been for Jerry Juhl finally getting to write what would happen if Muppet characters from different worlds spent time together. I mean we all wonder what Animal would think of the Cookie Monster or if Bert and Ernie got into an ABC's conversation with Doc, or how Sam the Eagle would respond to one of the infamous, and often absurd, Sesame Street pageants. :frown: : "Who let the Two-Headed Monster be Santa Claus?" :attitude: : "Is nothing sacred? Ugh!" I would love to see production notes from this project.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Elmo and Prarie dawn were both there without lines. They both appeared in the front row when the SS cast sings deck The Halls. Prarie dawn is in the audience during the pageant, and when everybody sings christmas carols, she sits next to dr. teeth. I think Elmo was in a lot more scenes than prarie dawn.
Elmo is also sitting on the landing going upstairs at one point. He's talking to someone, but I don't remember who.

Frogster said:
Muppet Family Christmas, no second thought about it. VMMCM was a joke
Absolutely agreed. I loathe IAVMMC; it's a parody, it tries too hard to "push the envelope" and while it has the pros of having celebrity guest stars, that automatically kinda' kills it 'cause it takes away from the gang.

MFC: ALL Muppets (+ Doc), SS, TMS, FR & MB worlds come together, original performers, Excellent music, funny jokes and running gags, fun but not overly serious plot... it's a classic, and if that's not enough for you; fast forward to the end and you have the number one reason why it's the greatest Muppet special of all time: Jim. 'Nuff said. :wink: