Muppet Film and TV References

Frogster

Reaction score
Someone seriously needs to get rid of Andy Samberg. He's terrible in every way. And I think Lorne Michaels is just letting him do whatever he wants after the success of, like, two songs. I've never cringed so badly at a Muppet impersonation like this guy. Thank God I could fast-forward.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I actually like Andy Samberg's Swedish Chef. Not for being a good impersonation--I don't think that's in any way what he's going for. I think it's intentionally stupid. It's like this big insipid caricature of a character who is intentionally ridiculous to begin with. :hungry:

Anyway, they're getting good use out of those Muppet costumes they made! I do miss Seth Rogen as Rowlf, though. :sympathy:

APRena

Reaction score
I think the Muppet sketches they do on SNL are pretty funny. Bill Hader as Animal is awesome, and it's cool they included minor characters like Janice and Zoot. Like AndyWan said, the Swedish Chef is intentionally cheesy and crazy and inaccurate. Imitation is the highest form of flattery! They've been taking stabs at the Muppets since 1975, and *most* of those weren't serious...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Someone seriously needs to get rid of Andy Samberg. He's terrible in every way. And I think Lorne Michaels is just letting him do whatever he wants after the success of, like, two songs. I've never cringed so badly at a Muppet impersonation like this guy. Thank God I could fast-forward.
Here here! You just don't say "Bork" for every word. Plus, I just think the guy's videos are so incredibly unfunny. It seems like someone that watched Napoleon Dynamite and ssaid "I can do that!" and basically just acts quirky for the sake of being quirky. I liked everyone else though... but it's a shame they couldn't get Seth Rogen in for a cameo as Rowlf.

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
"If this were the Muppets, they would be the two guys in the balcony."-Jodi on Sam and Murphy's comments on Harry Potter.

Teheheman

Reaction score
The Muppets were on Leno last night and on some other show on PBS a couple nights ago for some special with some guy I can't remember. Anyways, they sang Jingle Bells with the guy. Also, they had a category on Jeopardy called 'Things that rhyme with Muppet' in which all the answers rhymed with a Muppet(My sister doesn't think Grover's a Muppet cause she thinks that he's on Sesame Street, therefore isn't a Muppet)

Daniel

haakonsmary

Reaction score
Yesterday on Jeopardy there was a "Hen" category (...yes, I know) and the question was "This hen named Camilla often sung love-struck songs with this Muppet on The Muppet Show".

Who is Gonzo? FTW :concern:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I'm too lazy to check, but in case no one's mentioned it....

I just saw The Princess and the Frog. These are things I picked up on:

1. Dr. John sings one of the opening numbers. Dr. John is the inspiration for Dr. Teeth.

2. *inhales* Naveen is one big Kermit reference. He plays a real banjo as a human and plays an improvised banjo in a swamp as a frog. He makes friends with an alligator. He has a dream. His choices of love interests are a diva-ish pink-skinned, blonde-haired, pink dress-wearing princess wanna-be and an unassuming, dark-skinned, light blue dress-wearing (at John Goodman's dance where Tiana kisses Frog Naveen) girl. This hearkens to the Piggy vs Mousey problem in TMS. Plus, there are the lovely night scenes under starry skies as everyone, including Naveen, ponders upon how to solve the problem.

3. The Frog Prince, the Muppet version, has Taminella disguise herself to get into the royal family. While Facilier doesn't do this, he DOES get Lawrence to disguise himself to get the quote-unquote royal money and possibly the entire city of New Orleans. Not wanting to spoil too much, but part of the spell of Facilier's must be LITERALLY broken, just as Taminella's spell had to be broken LITERALLY. Also, the wedding in both is attended by both people and animals. Naveen might also be a nod to Robin the Brave, who was rather sure of himself before the frog part.

4. I doubt this is a reference/homage/parallel, but to me, Mama Odie was the Marjory the Trash Heap of this movie. Both talk to the relevant prince about getting not what is wanted, but what is needed. Both have powerful magic but don't really get around much. Both have similar styles of "helping": sing a song about something slightly ambiguous and let the listeners figure out what to do themselves. Mama Odie also shakes herself during her song like Marjory does (sorry, couldn't help but notice). Mama Odie wears dark circular glasses and Marjory has black quote-unquote "eyes" that are basically just holes in her head. Both have animal helpers.
edit: And Mama Odie loves gumbo and Marjory loves Goombah.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
On tonight's American Dad, Stan was praying and said...

"Dear Lord, forgive us for casting Whoopi Goldberg to play you in that Muppet TV movie. I was not a part of that decision."

Has VMC ever been referenced before? By anything? Awesome. :big_grin: