Muppet Mobile Labs Launched This Week!

Noonchester

Reaction score
Hello everyone... long time reader, first time poster. I work at Disney's California Adventure and got to see the Muppet Mobile Labs first hand. I think anyone who is able, should come down and see it in person. Not only is the technology impressive... Dave Goelz is performing Bunsen himself during this limited test run. You WILL be sorry you missed it. I had been hired by Disney and Imagineering to do the test until Dave, himself decided to be a part of the project.

I got to hang out with Dave for about a half an hour and the guy is very gracious. I had some puppet rods in my bag that I had made for a friend at the park. I took them out in order to dig out my Muppet book for Dave to sign, when he asked to see them. He was genuinely impressed with the design and execution. They are designed after the rods I had used in Avenue Q so while I didn't come up with the idea, I was sure happy to take the compliment. He's not a talkative man by any means, but he'll basically tell you anything you want to know... however, thinking of the right questions to ask when in the moment is not as easy as it should be.

I saw day 4 of the test run and Dave has started to work out good bits with the crowd while still coming out with fun "off the cuff" comments. As Bunsen surveyed a small group of people who had basically lined up in front of him just as the Muppet Labs came out from backstage, Dave let out "My, look at you all. You look like the offensive line for the Rams." I'm not going to spoil the illusion and tell you all HOW it works... but Dave is definitely performing the character. Do not miss it.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Great story!! Thanks for sharing that, and welcome!

I wonder, did Dave happen to say anything about the new Muppet series pilot? We're all hoping against hope that it gets the greenlight sometime soon.

So what else do you get to do at DCA? Hugely underrated park, my wife and I love it!! Soarin' rivals Pirates as our top ride, well, and Space Mountain too, along with CA Screamin' of course (okay, okay, I'll stop trying to turn this into another Favorite Rides thread :wink: ).

Thanks again for commenting here, please don't stop!
:smile:
Anthony

Skye

Reaction score
How awesome... thanks for sharing, Noonchester! And welcome to the forum! How cool that you got to talk to Dave, too. It definitely sounds like a fun time seeing the Muppet Mobile Labs! I really wish I could see/hear Dave doing it now during the test, but I hope I get to at least see it sometime!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
WOW! I had know Idea that dave was actually preforing the test Lab. I wish I could see it so badly, too. By the way, welcome to the forum, Noonchester!!!

MWoO

Reaction score
Wow, Dave is doing it? That's cool. So much for people saying the voice is off. :stick_out_tongue: Does anyone work Beaker? I read in another thread that Steve was there. Maybe he was doing something with him?

Please, PLEASE spoil the illusion for me! I assume that some of the lines are pre-recorded and some are live. What I want to know is how will the voice match up when Dave is no longer doing it. I mean, I doubt he'll be the main performer.

rurulesunc

Reaction score
What I want to know is how long he will be doing the voice live. If I can find the time to stop by next weekend will he still be there or was he just there for this past weekend?

Beauregard

Reaction score
*stares*

*stares*

*stares*

*blinks*

*stares*

Wow...WOW...wow...I'll try and formulate some more words together at a later point.

*shakes head*

*wow...*