1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppet Replicas on Ebay

Discussion in 'Puppets For Sale' started by MUPPETMONKEY, Mar 29, 2007.

1. spcglider

spcglider Member

Okay, now it's just getting downright silly. This joker has had his auctions pulled twice in as many weeks and he's got them listed AGAIN under yet another name! Now he's "theaterofpuppets". So, he's gotta make a NEW seller name every time he gets yanked.

That's some nerve.

Heck, now this is just another part of my day to follow along and watch what this guy will do next. Its like entertainment... only dumber.

-Gordon
  2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I know it. Some people just have no lives.
  3. dpurves

dpurves New Member

I like the way he/she very carefully avoids the use of the word Muppet, or any of the character names, even though virtually anyone could easily identify them as such.
  4. spcglider

spcglider Member

That's one of the great popular misconceptions about intellectual property rights. It doesn't matter what this person calls the puppets... they are unlicensed replicas of property owned by MHC and Disney. If this person started producing animated shorts starring "little rodent with red-shorts" and the character looked, to any ignorant observer, to be Mickey Mouse they'd be in violation of intellectual property laws.

I think it hilarious that people delude themselves into thinking they can find some obvious flaw in existing law and get away with doing an "end around". Its just not that easy. And if they DO get away with it, its not because there's a problem with the law. Its because there's a problem with enforcement. And a lot of the time that's what these people count on... just not getting caught.

-G
  5. dpurves

dpurves New Member

Well, I think it's also to make it more difficult to track this person down. My first inclination was to search for "Muppets" on eBay, and obviously that wouldn't have worked, so this person probably wanted to make himself as inconspicuous as possible. I wonder if he used the word "Muppets" in any of his prior auctions, and thinks he got nailed for it.
  6. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Image and likness! Nut the thing is is he has not sold ny of these yet. It they were actually sold then that would be an even bigger problem. I believe e is just doing this now to get to people like us. We shouldn't waist out tims worrying about this guy because he when he he gets busted, he gets busted. The people at disney are certainly not stupid. After all, they tried to shut down a pre school because their mouse was painted on the wall of it.
  7. spcglider

spcglider Member

I look for search parameters that are not going to produce a billion results. MUPPET or MUPPETS is like that.

But this guy uses the same descriptors every time, so he's pretty easy to track down. He has a limited number of words he can use to describe the things because there are certain words that everybody uses to search for stuff like this.

I have no doubt that he's gonna eventually get busted and served with a C&D from Disney.

But for the time being, I'm starting to be entertained by the cheek of this guy. Unless the mods here implicitly command me to end the discussion, I think he serves as a perfect object lesson and example of what it means to stomp on someone else's intellectual property rights.

-Gordon
  8. spcglider

spcglider Member

Actually, it isn't any bigger a problem. It doesn't really matter if he sells at all... he's infringing on IP rights just by making them available. His profits from the activity only modify how much he surrenders to the actual IP owner in resitution.

Though I think you may be right about this person just doing it to blow a raspberry at us for mentioning it and making a big deal. Doesn't matter.

I think it's funny that he's paying so much money to eBay for listing fees and not making anything back out of it.

-Gordon
  9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

Outside of ebay deals

He has sold some, through enquiries outside of ebay.I had enquired and he said there is a waiting list.Also, if he wasnt selling any, he wouldnt be keen to keep going.
  10. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

Muppet Puppets on Ebay

Not sure if anyone has asked this before, if you have sorry, but I've seen several muppet replicas on Ebay from theatreofpuppets. They have been around for some time but I am curious as to if anyone has actually purchased one.

Can they be trusted, there doesn't seem to be any feedback.

Thanks

Leanne

:flirt:
  11. MuppetsRule

MuppetsRule Active Member

12. LeanneFuller

LeanneFuller Active Member

thank you for this.

Sorry to take up space on the board.

Leanne
  13. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

A lot of fans reproduce kermit for there own personal use and do not sell them. You just can't put if up for sell like this or use it for the purpous of making any money from it. You think Disney want;s to spend there time cracking down on evey person who ever made a Kermit puppet.
  14. spcglider

spcglider Member

Absolutely correct.

They'd also be very upset if you decided to make a You Tube video starring Kermit doing unacceptable things. THere's not too much they can do about the folks who do that sort of thing with commercially available puppets, but I know that there were some pretty serious discussions around the table when they were talking about making the "Photo Puppets". Originally, Master Replicas wanted to make exact copies of the puppets themselves. But Disney Licensing wasn't keen on letting people have exact copies of the characters in puppet form for just the reason I cited above.

So as a compromise, they settled on making them like the photo models they use for publicity shoots and children's books and the now defunct Muppet Magazine.

-Gordon
  15. Nick

Nick New Member

I see this person has changed their name again... TOTAL FRAUDSTER STAY AWAY!! I last heard JHP and DIZ are after this person! probably a rumor... will report them to eBay again... sigh

OH AND I FOUND THAT MANY OF THE PICS HAVE BEEN STOLEN FROM JIM HENSON OR DISNEY PRODUCTION PHOTOS ETC.
  16. Jinx

Jinx Member

Leanne, someone who's been on ebay for a considerable amount of time without feedback would seem to indicate a seller (or buyer) to avoid. This particular seller has had many auctions pulled by ebay because of intellectual property infringements. Amicus seems to think that because he buys and likes them (allegedly) that it's OK for someone to make unlicensed likenesses of copyrighted characters.

Oh, Amicus, you're such a little troll. What a pity that (if we're to believe what it says in your profile) you are 38 years old, yet you behave like a 12-year-old. You spell like one too... only a loser would call someone a looser.
  17. Nick

Nick New Member

"Waiting to see those pics pal!"

18. biblebetty

biblebetty New Member

young man you have said you can do what you want, we do not live in Nazi Germany. You are correct, but that doesn't mean you have to support those who break the law by making money off of the backs of thoses who have spend time, money and talent to see their ideas come to life.

That's why we have copyright laws to protect the interest of those who should benefit from their hard work, not like your friend.

You are very fortunate to live in this county. But to live in this county means to be responsible for your choices.

Biblebetty
  19. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

Last request to the battles between a few of the members posting in this thread. DO NOT ARGUE!

Amicus, stop irritating the situation with your attitude. Nick, SPCGlider, fellows the argument is understood and you're only going in circles with the conversation with this guy.

Everybody, please just stop. Last request.

There are better ways to discuss this without being so adamant with one another.

Please.
  20. spcglider

spcglider Member

Once again, Amicus, you are completely wrong. As wrong as a human being can be. Wrong with a capital W... just ask your unlicensed, illegal Ernie puppet.

You obviously have no grasp of intellectual property rights and are utterly incapable of speaking about this subject with authority.

This person IS BREAKING THE LAW by offering unlicensed replicas of Muppet characters. That's FACT. And no off-the-cuff poo-pooing by you will change that.

As for Nick and myself being the same person, you are wrong about that too.

My name is Gordon Smuder. I live in Minneapolis, MN. I own a house there. I run a special effects and prop shop there called Minnefex, Inc. You can verify my identity in a dozen different ways.

Nick? Would you care to offer up anything to evidence how wrong Amicus is?

I came back to this thread to post a link to another puppet by this same maker:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Professional-CU...4QQihZ016QQcategoryZ18839QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its a VERY nice puppet and has nothing to do with breaking laws. I was going to give it some lip-service and encourage people to bid on it.

Like I said before, I have nothing against this puppet maker personally. They are very talented and have excellent technique and an eye for pleasing structure and proportion. I wish they'd simply stop stepping on the rights of others.

-Gordon