1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppet Show Season 4 coming in 2013

Discussion in 'Muppet Merchandise' started by Traveling Matt, Apr 7, 2009.

1. ploobis Well-Known Member

I'm just hoping that this will be the year The Muppet Show season 4 will be released on DVD! Especially with this being the year of the new Muppet movie. ;) :)
  2. Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna hazard a guess and say that season 4 will not be out in 2010...thats just a hunch :p
  3. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I think it's high time to either close or lock or delete this thread or something until we have any actual news about the season's release. Pining over it and complaining about it is not going to make it come any faster, and any new posts would suggest someone has any actual info... but instead we get pages of "why isn't it out yet" questions.

That said, the least Disney could do is actually give a press release saying why it's been delayed. Other companies do it all the time on TVshowsondvd.
  4. eday2010 New Member

Ddisney is planning to relaunch the Muppets this year, so perhaps they are waiting for that to release Season 4; get some hype going for hte Muppets first.
  5. Quesal Active Member

It's 2011 and The Muppet Show has not done a darn thing!
  6. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think this is the calm before the Muppet movie storm this fall. As much as I'd like to see the remaining Muppet Show DVDs out right now, we might have to wait until 2012. Disney seems to have a long-term strategy with the Muppets so maybe it's best they refrain from releasing any media until the movie launches. Then next year they'll release the DVD of the new film along with subsequent Muppet Show DVD releases that are advertised on the movie's DVD previews. Just a thought. To me - the sooner the better. I'll take this stuff whenever they decide to put it on the market.
  7. j3h Active Member

it would not surprise me to see season 4 get released a few weeks before the new film hits theaters, and then tie season 5 with the new film's dvd/Bluray release. At that point we might also see the older Muppet films get Bluray releases too.
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Let's say what I forget who, but someone said earlier in this thread said there might be a rights issue they have to renegotiate.

Now, we can't be sure this is true, but it seems like a possibility. Seeing as how season 4 was announced 2 years ago to come the following year, movie or no movie, that sounds like welshing on a promise. I don't see why season 4 couldn't have been released that year, with season 5 due in time for the movie, and a complete series collection and further releases of other media when the DVD comes out. So it is very likely that music rights renegotiation with Michael Jackson's estate seems to be the actual problem. I'd hate for them to have to release this near the movie without solving that problem and having large gaps in the program like season 1 did.

And as I said, even if they DID want to hold this over 2 more years for the movie, it's not like they have a shortage of Muppet past projects to release. TV specials, rereleases of movies with special features about a movie that's about to come out, with a special movie ticket coupon (If we can get 8 releases of Big Momma's House in a year, we can certainly get the Muppet Movies rereleased with more bonuses). Not to mention the potential for single disk "Best of" Muppet Show compilations, similar to the Time Life/Sony ones.

Again, I think we should close this thread unless we get actual news. This is all circulatory at this point, and asking "Why?" to questions we don't have answers to.
  9. Whatnot1988 Member

I have my own theory for the delays:

What I know so far:

1. LucasFilm probably DID grant Buena Vista the rights for the Mark Hamill episode, since they allowed C3PO and R2D2's Sesame appearance to appear on the Sesame Street 40th Anniversary compillation.

2. I cannot recall if there are any Sesame guest appearances in S4, but I am sure they are no big deal since CTW allowed Ernie, Bert and Big Bird to appear on the S1 and S3 boxsets, respectively.

My Theory:

With Blu-Ray surpassing DVD, they'd probably want to release S4 on DVD and Blu-Ray simultaneously. However, to take advantage of Blu-Ray's higher-resolution image capabilities, they needed new high(er)-resolution transfers from the old masters (which would later be downsized for DVD). They would have also prepared the first three seasons for Blu-Ray re-issues, and also make a second attempt to secure the song rights for the missing bits from S1, and add new bonus features to all 3. This explains the longer delay because of all the extra work involved.
  10. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Blu Ray wouldn't add or detract from anything else, and that theory is definitely NOT why this is delayed. Not every TV show is released in that fashion. And re-releasing the others to fit some fadget is not why we had an extra year wait.

That said, moderators take notice... this thread should be closed UNTIL we have confirmation of the DVD even getting released at all.
  11. eday2010 New Member

I think that episode was/is a major hurdle to clear for the season 4 set. LucasFilm loves getting money, as does Disney/Buena Vista. Because the Muppet Show is completely commercial, LucasFilm may demand a lot more money for the rights to include that episode. Since Sesame Street is non-profit, I am sure they are more lenient/generous in granting rights for the R2/C-3PO segments. Celebrities do sign a contract where they are paid peanuts ($80 when Ray Charles was on) when they appear on the show.
  12. Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

...as should be said for the EFX Poser thread also, as thats NEVER gonna happen! ! ! ! !
  13. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Yes, but let's not forget LucasFilm has a good relationship with Disney. Otherwise Star Tours wouldn't still be around.

No, the main rumor is that songs Michael Jackson owns (i.e. Beatles songs) have to be renegotiated with his estate. And we ALL know what goes on with estates.

There's a huge difference though. When it comes down to money and business, we're talking about small selling large products that are very much vanity buys vs a series of affordable DVD's that have sold solid since 2005. There's too much internal politics keeping posers at bay from what I understand... with TMS, it's just a matter of having to renegotiate idiotic music rights they busted their humps and bent over backward to get. Let's hope the Jackson estate doesn't get greedy on this one and clears those rights post haste.
  14. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

It's a little more involved than Michael Jackson owning the Beatles songs. He owned the PUBLISHING rights, not full ownership of the songs themselves. Read this link to explain it a little more and a lot better than I ever could: http://www.snopes.com/music/artists/jackson.asp

If the hold up is the Beatles songs for the Season 4 DVDs, it's not just Michael Jackson's estate. My sister used to work on the legal end of the music industry and there are for lack of a better term "too many cooks in the kitchen". Royalties, legal fees, ownership is scattered amongst a bunch of different parties, so it's not just Michael Jackson's estate, family, etc. holding things up.

The legalities of the Beatles music could be a reason, and I also agree with the other poster said it could be Lucas' company holding up stuff too. They are an empire (no pun intended) unto themselves and George Lucas is a bit of a maniac but also a shrewd businessman.
  15. JEANYLASER Member

thanks for the info!
  16. Drtooth Well-Known Member

It could very well JUST be that segment, as the rest of the rights were hammered out long ago. And if there's a sever in those connections, and they may have to renegotiate with everyone, that's a possible other layer to this whole crap.

Which could be true if not for Stuff like this

Again, Lucas has a good relationship with Disney and Henson (even though Henson is no longer part of the equation) over the years, and no doubt, unless something went really REALLY wrong with that (then we'd see Star Tours boarded and closed up instead of being renovated) it wouldn't be that tough to negotiate.

Now my theory is that something could very well be up with the John Denver stuff, because someone here once mentioned how poorly his estate was being handled, and why that's the reason the John Denver/Muppet specials are sitting in a closet.

But again, these are rumors and theories... they could just very well be holding this off to promote the movie or something... though I still say we've got a season to go.
  17. MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I understand where you're coming from, Dr. Tooth, but again, merchandising rights is a whole other layer of legalities that are involved. Just because the Muppets have put out Star Wars products in the past, and George Lucas and Jim Henson may have had lunch together every Sunday for two years while filming Labyrinth, when it comes to licensing out usages for merchandising purposes, it's a whole different ballgame, and home video licensing and other products is also different. I know it's hard to explain and understand and I'm not trying to be condescending, but I work in the home video industry, my sister formerly in the music industry, so we both kind of get this stuff when it comes to what's involved with getting a product pushed out there.

As for the music thing, your theory about John Denver could also be very spot on. Although they did officially release the John Denver/Muppets Rocky Mountain holiday special on DVD.

I had read various rumors that Michael Jackson had willed back the Beatles catalogue to McCartney should he had passed away, and of course now he did, but it turns out those were definitely rumors as confirmed in various articles online by Paul McCartney himself. If it doesn't end up being the Jackson estate, it could be Capitol records, the Beatles record company, Yoko, there are a bunch of people who could easily have the finger pointed at them. But like you said in an earlier post, it's just speculation right now.
  18. Quesal Active Member

darn rights crap! The Muppet show started coming out on DVD the summer before my freshman year of college and I've been done with college for over a year now!
  19. BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Season 1 came out the summer before I started 8th grade (last year of middle school) and now I'm in the middle of freshman year of college. Insanity these season sets I tell ya.