Muppet SNL Land of Gorch Skits coming to DVD

Squigiman

Reaction score
I doubt they'll have any Special Features about them, as I'm just glad to hear they aren't edited out. It's fairly well-known that most involved despised having them on. Belushi called them the Mucking Fuppets, and a writer even had a Big Bird doll noosed in a curtain-opening string. The cast, for the most part, didn't like them taking time away from them, and the writers hated trying to write for them, as certain union rules wouldn't allow the actual Muppet people to do it, or something. Read that backstage book, Live From New York, for more behind-the-scenes info. Hope that helps.

-Squigiman

Drtooth

Reaction score
You know, that would be great. I hated the bitter disdane the SNL cast had for the Muppets (outside of GIlda Radner, who appeared on TMS), and it seems they tried very hard to hide them from all retrospectives and stuff. They made a frikkin' Goat Boy action figure for cryin' out loud. Though, the SNL Trivial Pursute had on Gorch question on it (and 2 about Osmosis Jones, but it's basically the same question.)

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
My mom's really excited; she adores Scred.

Yeah, Belushi was a real holy terror when it came to the Muppets...wonder if he ever subjected Jim and the gang to one of his verbal tirades during Gorch's run?

Barry Lee

Reaction score
YESS, I love The Land of Gorch, esp. in perfect quality, I espicially love Scred, and the Mighty Favog, in my opinion, Favog is one of the best Frank Oz characters ever, and the most underated.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Hmmm.. I am surprised that they have that picture in the set.

Barry S. Lee

Squigiman

Reaction score
I just finished the first episode, after watching most, after I picked up my set, last night. Got it for $47.99 plus tax, and it came with a $5.00 gift card. Pretty sweet deal. I'd suggest checking there, first, and while the sale lasts. Amazon also has a good discount, which I thought would be the way to go, before seeing the Target price. Better without the S&H. Overall, I still don't see what the hub-bub over the original cast is/was, but also feel maybe I had to be living during that time to appreciate the sensibilities.

George Carlin also is hit and miss, in my book, often going overboard in his characterizations and eye-widened mockery of society. Once again, maybe it was more groundbreaking, then, and I'm numbed to it by my generational gap. Either way, there were still some laughs, but overall, and as expected, though perhaps I'm biased, Andy Kaufman's bit, though I've seen it millions of times, can still be appreciated for its genius, and the Muppet bit was the best of the bunch. One question, though, as I can't seem to find the answer anywhere else, including Wikipedia. What does it mean to release one's darts? I figure it's innuendo of some sort, but really not sure.

Another thing. I felt strange, in that it seemed like I may have appreciated more bits, if there was audience laughter with it. Since this was and remains a live show, very proud of that fact, I was surprised at how often it was silent until the very ends of sketches, like the audience say the "APPLAUSE" light go on. The only real "joke" joke I remember appreciating, outside of what I mentioned, was one about stamps dedicated to prostitution, even though I feel it wasn't the first time I heard it.

Well, I hope everyone enjoys there sets. I didn't realize there was a Gorch bit in the second season, so now I guess I gotta put down the dough for that one, too, when/if it comes out. See ya.

-Zach