Muppet Wizard of Oz - Positives and Negatives

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
For me it only made me see why I dropped them for 12 years. I didn't care for MTI or MCC because I just don't like them role playing but I could still find more redeeming qualities in those films then MWO.

No offense to people who actually like it if you did that's great however this is one film that was just an epic fail to me. And that's just how I personally felt about the film.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Well, on the plus side, I liked most of the songs, Johnny and Sal were awesome, as always, and I actually thought the Tarantino cameo was pretty funny. Other than that, it blew. :stick_out_tongue:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I did watch this movie a few times in the past though just to see if I'd feel different about it but nope. Although I did think Gonzo made a cool looking tin man.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I agree with the comments about the bad out weighing the good......the funny thing is I only watch thsi when the kids want too ***sigh**** I still think though there are some good elements to it...just not enough....

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
That was the trouble for me usually even if I don't like a film I can at least try to find something good in it but this was just one I just couldn't and I did try. I'm not the type who just because I didn't like it the first time just shelve it and never give it another chance because I must've watched this film at least 4 times. I mean like I said I didn't even care for MCC and MTI but I was still able to find some positives in those. MCC oddly enough I just gave another watch recently after not watching it for several years and I think the film might've grew on me a little. This one just didn't.

I'm not ripping this film apart to be smart but there was just nothing there for me. I mean I personally liked VMMC and I know a majority on here really didn't like that film at all so...*shrugs* everyone is different and will like different things. I should note the Wizard of Oz is one of my favorite stories so in the beginning I was actually pretty excited to see it done in Muppet form but once I watched to say I was disappointed was an understatement.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hey, I loved VMX. That's what was wrong with MWOZ.... they tried too hard to make that film again, getting that same Simpsons/early Family Guy pop culture, genre savvy feel and just completely missing the mark. Sometimes trying too hard shows. VMX seemed more organic. Plus, if you take away the pop culture references, deep down, there's a satisfying character study... Kermit emotes for the first time in quite a while and actually acts like Kermit. Plus there was that heartwrenching sequence of alternate world Piggy being a depressed lonely failure without Kermit. I don't see why more people don't acknowledge that as a strong portrayal of the Piggy/Kermit relationship.

Actually, speaking of Piggy as the villain, I thought about the time she was given the villain role as The Wicked Queen in Muppet Babies. Her evil was fueled by jealousy of not getting the role of Snow White and NOT being able to play damsel in distress opposite Kermie. I really wish they worked that into the movie... a short meta sequence (like the "you're overacting" bit in GMC) where Piggy and Kermit have an argument about her being the Wicked Queen. Something along the lines of "Yeah, but you wanted to be all the witches. You said it would be wonderful to play 4 roles in a single film." And having Piggy respond to "that's before I remembered how close Dorothy is to the Scarecrow in this thing." Capped off with one of any given character saying "uh... yeah, we're still filming." Something like that could have saved the entire film for me.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Wow I couldn't have said that better myself. Brilliantly said DrTooth!

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Kind of funny how in VMMC you saw how Piggy wouldn't be anything without Kermit. And in the latest film it's Kermit realizing he's nothing without her either. That's one thing I liked about VMMC is that Kermit and Piggy finally seemed to act like they knew each other again. Or at least Kermit showing he cares about her somewhat. Cause I didn't see it at all in MFS.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
The thing about MFS is that it sort of went back to Kermit's "professional relationship" with Piggy that he used to talk about in interviews. The way I see it, since MFS was a Gonzo (and to a certain extent, Rizzo) driven story, I really didn't think it was necessary to have the whole Kermit-Piggy thing going on in the movie. They're in love, yes, but that doesn't always have to be the center of attention. Kermit's reactions to Piggy's job in MFS seems to lean back to the old days of TMS where Kermit would react to Piggy's diva attitude. "Sheesh, there she goes again".