Muppet Wizard of Oz to film in September

Beauregard

Reaction score
Whatever said:
I wish Beauregard and some of the other ultra-talented people on this board were writing the movie. It'd be a good one! :cool:
Actually, I would love to do that, but, er, not going to happen, me thinks.

Trust me, when I have some credentials, and an agent I'll be putting togther scripts and sending them to JHC. Me and some others here wrote Muppet vs Las Vegas a while back. I've been working on about twenty different Muppet film ideas since then, so as soon as I have the time, energy, and agent (whithout which the JHC pretends I don't exist) I will be right onto it.

Until then, we get this...

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Muppets from OZ

There was at one time a distinction between the Muppets that appeared on the Tonight Show and SNL, and the Muppets that worked on the set of The Muppet Show. The SNL Muppet characters were much more adult, and lets face it that is where the Muppets began. But with programming like the Muppet Show, Muppets were suddenly fun for children of all ages, and with that began their involvement with Children’s Television Workshop and other family programing.

I do not disregard the fact that Fair Scape has a decidedly adult or grown up feel to it. But I fail to see how any one can over look Fozzy bear picking his nose, Sam checking out a half naked girl on the beach, or Pepe getting a topless dancer license for the theater (just in case). In case of what, the Muppets finally deciding to go topless? This was not on SNL, but a holiday special for kids and families to watch together. The lines used to me more clear, but intodays world sex sells, and potty jokes make kids laugh. Looking at the recent Cat in The Hat film, as another example of a kids film gone wrong the original story is lost in a tangel of Sexual, and Toilet humor.

A hallow shell is the best way that I have herd it described so fair.

“The Muppet version does not have an Urban Oz. In this version she lives in a Kansas trailer park."

I actually agree with this statement, it does not have to be urban; my biggest gripe is that once again the story of OZ bends to interpretation. I think the Original L. Frank Baum story of OZ needs no interpretation, and once I get my film studio up and running I will bring it to life.
:excited:

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
The Good Doctor said:
but intodays world sex sells, and potty jokes make kids laugh.
That's the whole point. The Muppets, wheather you agree or not, to surive in the media of today need to do what sells. It's a little sad, but kids today would much rather watch a film like "Muppets From Space" than one like "The Muppet Movie". If they Muppets want to surrive they need to do what sells, otherwise they will become exstinct. It may be disheartning to those who expect the Muppets to stay at the same level of exceptance, but as time goes on what is and is not appropriate changes, and the Muppet do to. The Muppets are not more "adult" now, children of today are. When I was a kid I would have been shocked by some of the things the Muppets do today, but the kids of today are shocked they aren't doing more. Things are changing. So if you see more sex jokes (for adults/teens), potty humor (for kids..and even adults/teens), it just means the Muppets are evolving to meet the market and build up more viewers. They are a prime part of a buisness, they need to make money, otherwise they will dissappear. As the market changes, so will the Muppets. It may be sad and disturbing, but it is what needs to be done to survive. Call it selling out, call it stupid, call it whatever you want, but it is putting more money in the pockets of the decision makers so I doubt they will change their ways. They do what sells, and that's the way the industry is.
:smirk:

lautanner

Reaction score
GelflingWaldo said:
That's the whole point. The Muppets, wheather you agree or not, to surive in the media of today need to do what sells. It's a little sad, but kids today would much rather watch a film like "Muppets From Space" than one like "The Muppet Movie". If they Muppets want to surrive they need to do what sells, otherwise they will become exstinct. It may be disheartning to those who expect the Muppets to stay at the same level of exceptance, but as time goes on what is and is not appropriate changes, and the Muppet do to. The Muppets are not more "adult" now, children of today are. When I was a kid I would have been shocked by some of the things the Muppets do today, but the kids of today are shocked they aren't doing more. Things are changing. So if you see more sex jokes (for adults/teens), potty humor (for kids..and even adults/teens), it just means the Muppets are evolving to meet the market and build up more viewers. They are a prime part of a buisness, they need to make money, otherwise they will dissappear. As the market changes, so will the Muppets. It may be sad and disturbing, but it is what needs to be done to survive. Call it selling out, call it stupid, call it whatever you want, but it is putting more money in the pockets of the decision makers so I doubt they will change their ways. They do what sells, and that's the way the industry is.
:smirk:
I agree completely. Changing with the tastes of modern audiences is all the Muppets can do to maintain their popularity and social standing in today's pop culture circuit. Personally, I can live with the change. Muppets From Space was a hoot, and the best of the three theatrical Muppet films produced since Jim's passing. I may not go head over heels for everything the Muppets are producing these days, but I love them, I support them, and no matter what, they always leave me entertained.

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Changeing times, chageing lines

:boo: Well gang what can I say, you make a very valid point. I have a background and 2 degrees in Advertising Graphic Design, and when something sells you run with it, for as long as you can until you have to change it.

My younger siblings have always wondered and often asked me what has happened to The Muppets. Because when they were very young and I was younger too we used to watch them together. They remember when things were more fun, and the gags were not as cheap like Fozzy picking his nose.

I do not agree with it, not at all, I do not feel it is right, nor do I wish to send a message to the Muppets/ Disney that it is ok in my book. I would rather have the Muppets be a happy memory than to stoop so low as to pull Jokes straight out of the trash. But that is not the way the world works, when Muppets Tonight first came on I sent a letter to the Henson CO. expressing my disgust and concern, and I was told then (1996) that this was a show for the 90's, and it was geared towards a 90's audience, but they would take my suggestions under advisement.

A real Heart Breaker to learn that my letter changed nothing, but then I never really expected it to change a darn thing.

The Muppets taught me that the world could be a better place, and that I can make a difference, that one person can change things.

But not really, Not when you are up against big busniss, and the real world...... After all it was just a silly dream.

"Oh yeah, well I've got a dream too! It's about singing and dancing and making people happy, that’s the kind of dream that gets better the more people you share it with. I made a whole bunch of friends, and they all have the same dream, that makes us a little bit like a family. Who are your friends Dock? Those guys?
Listen I don't think you’re a bad man, and I think if you look in your heart you'll see that you really just want to let me and my friends go. If not, if what I am saying doesn't make and sense to you.. Well then go ahead and kill me!

beaker

Reaction score
Again...there is a parralel universe out there...one where JHC owns the Muppets and didnt sell out to the Diz...one where an edgy Fox prime time Muppet show is on the air or soon to be on the air, and the Mupepts aren't going back to classic fairy tale retellings. Smells like early 90's poo to me...all I know is this made for tv thing better have a lot of so called 'edgy' humor, lots of obscure cameos, and inventiveness...I never thought the main attraction of the Muppets 50 year annv. would be a retellizing of Wizard of Oz.

gipsey muppet

Reaction score
just a thought - i could lease disney the electric mayhem bus ( aka the bus )for the wizard of oz? they could get George Carlin or Bill Cosby to play the professor/wizard and drive the bus ? anyone want to start a rumor? have there people contact my people :crazy: wait a minute i don't have any people :eek: so have them contact me.
p. s. i'm emailing pictures to the webmaster this week in preporation for an article on The Bus. roger

The Good Doctor

Reaction score
Wizard of Muppets

The cameos in Muppets from Space really di dnot do anything for that film. I mean it seemd like they were trying to hard to re-capture what worked in The Muppet Movie, and well it just did not work in my view.

A good question is if Jim were Alive to day would the Muppets be doing what they are doing? In my mind I think they would be, but some how there would still be a level of class and dignatey about them.

Aaaww...who knows...we will just have to wait and see what comes next.