Muppeteer headband microphones

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I did already get a lapel mic, and I built my own headband setup which works great. View it here. But I still would like to make one to the specs of the actual Muppeteer ones.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
No offense but if you look at it thats not how they're made. Jim has a regular lav mic with a head thing (like earphones) and then has a head band around his head probably to keep the min in place. and the foam part made by the workshop.

but I do like yours...is the wood part painful on you're head?

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
gfarkwort said:
No offense but if you look at it thats not how they're made. Jim has a regular lav mic with a head thing (like earphones) and then has a head band around his head probably to keep the min in place. and the foam part made by the workshop. But I do like yours...is the wood part painful on you're head?
Eh, I have to totally disagree with you. If I had better pics you would in fact see that is basically how they are made. The technical term for the mics used by the Muppeteers is a cantilever mic and the mic is in fact mounted on a custom bent rod that is riveted to the headband. There are some fairly good shots in Jim Henson The Works. You don't even feel the wood, it's riveted to an exterior band of leather with a 1/2 inch foam liner on the inside for comfort. And you can't see it in the pic, but the band has an adjustable velcro strap on it. Anyways, the old setup for the Muppeteers is most definitely not your basic lav mic.

Beauregard

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
I did already get a lapel mic, and I built my own headband setup which works great. View it here. But I still would like to make one to the specs of the actual Muppeteer ones.
Is it just me, or does it look like Jim's headstrap has Oscar on it???

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
practicecactus said:
..you even used the same type of patterned fabric. :zany:
Yeah, that's actually from an old guitar strap that I had lying around. :smile:

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Is it just me, or does it look like Jim's headstrap has Oscar on it???
Kevin's right, it is in fact Kermit. And the mic head has a foam Kermit head on it.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
OLD topic thread, I know; but, pertinent.

The links don't work for the pics anymore, Kev.

So, who has an idea of an inexpensive resource for good WIRELESS microphones?