"Muppets Ahoy!" Stage Show on Disney Cruise Line?

Marky

Reaction score
joemuseum said:
Entertainers that live aboard the ship do lots of different entertainment things, like for small groups or kids, etc. Some do character appearances. Like Peter Pan on stage is the same Peter Pan who does appearances on the ship. I seriously doubt entertainers clean the decks as "chores" suggests. :smile:
Why wouldn't they? Others do. Believe me :wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Marky said:
I've heard that Disney makes its entertainers do ship chores on their cruise lines when not performing.

If you are trying to make another jab at the Disney Company, then I am afraid you missed. So what if Disney has their performers do other "chores" on the ship when not onstage? That is not surprising as it is the case with many cruise lines. During the day, the performers are often given jobs such as helping in the ship library, pool or fitness center. Nothing like swabbing the deck or scrubbing toilets. They already have people hired for that stuff.

joemuseum

Reaction score
Honestly, Disney performers are a bit higher class than on cheaper cruise lines. I'm sure "chores" are within the entertainment field. I'll ask the cast member that I know but I really think the job categories are very carefully designed. If you serve meals, you do that morning noon and night. There is plenty of entertainment all the time and plenty of jobs for them to do. I might wonder how much stage work they do, like moving sets, but I really honestly doubt Disney would treat these fine performers as you suggest. Disney does lots of character appearances though, and I'm sure performers must do that. And I just remembered that I did see someone who had appeared on stage helping with Minnie Mouse. You never see Minnie Mouse or Mickey Mouse without someone who is helping. I imagine all the characters who cannot speak need helpers. It still falls in the entertainment category though. And I think almost everyone who works for Disney realizes they are a "cast member." For instance, when we were buying some lithographs in one of the shops on board there was one that was missing from the set. The cast member said, "Let me look backstage."

Marky

Reaction score
joemuseum said:
Honestly, Disney performers are a bit higher class than on cheaper cruise lines. I'm sure "chores" are within the entertainment field. I'll ask the cast member that I know but I really think the job categories are very carefully designed. If you serve meals, you do that morning noon and night. There is plenty of entertainment all the time and plenty of jobs for them to do. I might wonder how much stage work they do, like moving sets, but I really honestly doubt Disney would treat these fine performers as you suggest. Disney does lots of character appearances though, and I'm sure performers must do that. And I just remembered that I did see someone who had appeared on stage helping with Minnie Mouse. You never see Minnie Mouse or Mickey Mouse without someone who is helping. I imagine all the characters who cannot speak need helpers. It still falls in the entertainment category though. And I think almost everyone who works for Disney realizes they are a "cast member." For instance, when we were buying some lithographs in one of the shops on board there was one that was missing from the set. The cast member said, "Let me look backstage."

Actually, BEAR is spot-on. It wasn't another jab at Disney, though. Just small-talk.

joemuseum

Reaction score
Also, the ratio of cruise staff to cruisers is 1 staff member for every two cruisers.

BEAR

Reaction score
joemuseum said:
And I just remembered that I did see someone who had appeared on stage helping with Minnie Mouse. You never see Minnie Mouse or Mickey Mouse without someone who is helping. I imagine all the characters who cannot speak need helpers.

Yeah, all those type of characters have assistants that hang out with them and make sure they are okay. I believe they are also in charge of time making sure that the character goes on break when they are supposed to, etc. This is how it is in the Disney parks as well.

joemuseum

Reaction score
Marky said:
Actually, BEAR is spot-on. It wasn't another jab at Disney, though. Just small-talk.
Well, it would matter to me if the performers weren't treated like performers.

Marky

Reaction score
joemuseum said:
Well, it would matter to me if the performers weren't treated like performers.
Nor should it. Work is work. A gig is a gig. Take'em or leave'em. It shouldn't matter to the performers, either.

:wink:

joemuseum

Reaction score
Marky said:
Nor should it. Work is work. A gig is a gig. Take'em or leave'em. It shouldn't matter to the performers, either.

I give up. You win.... :smile: :smile: :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
Marky said:

:wink:

It's just part of the contract. It may or may not be negotiable. It's just like at some regional theaters, the actors are asked to help with strike assignments. If you're getting paid, it shouldn't be all that painful to help a little more.