Muppets as british as fish n chips

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
erm, not to pinch your american tv characters guys, but some people consider the Muppet Show as british as fish n chips, and i myself do, after all the americans would'nt have the muppets and a lot of people i know in england think the muppets are english, so The Muppet show is i suppose it was all done over here, your opinions

Marky

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
erm, not to pinch your american tv characters guys, but some people consider the Muppet Show as british as fish n chips, and i myself do, after all the americans would'nt have the muppets and a lot of people i know in england think the muppets are english, so The Muppet show is i suppose it was all done over here, your opinions
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Being neither Yank nor Limey I`d consider myself unbiased.

True, the Muppet Show (1976-1981) was produced in London with many brits in the production team. And true, the show itself (particularily the music numbers) were deliberately geared towards a UK audience, no doubt.

But when you look at the history of the Muppets frmo 1955 onwards, to say that they wouldn't exist w/o the UK is a rather daft conclusion.

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
yeh isee your point, but it is weird the amount of people that think the muppets are british, and was voted the 2nd greatest British Kids Show of all time in 2005

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
:eek: yeh isee your point, but it is weird the amount of people that think the muppets are british, and was voted the 2nd greatest British Kids Show of all time in 2005

Marky

Reaction score
Perhaps they think it's British - in the UK. Not here though, nor in the States, I'm sure.

By the way, how does a show that's been out of production for 25 years win an award for 2005?

Kaiser Gonzo

Reaction score
i don't know, its not shown on TV that often, it is just very, very popular over here, merchandise is avaliable and DVD's. the only way i got into the muppets was because of y parent s, i was born nine years after the show was on TV, my dad passed his kermit toys and love for the show onto me

MuppetDanny

Reaction score
Kaiser Gonzo said:
the only way i got into the muppets was because of y parent s, i was born nine years after the show was on TV, my dad passed his kermit toys and love for the show onto me
So your dad is a Muppet fan too? - that's great :smile:

I don't surpose you have in your video collection, original airings of "The Muppet Show" do you? - I have a vast Muppet Archive (click my hyperlink below :wink: )

Marky

Reaction score
To stay on topic, yes, the British element was definitely there to give it the "Zing" neede to separate it from the other stuff on TV at the time.

And like I said in another thread, it all feels too cheap and American now.
Where's the wit?

My advice to Disney...
get some perfect hybrids of American/Bristish comic sensibilty in your ranks. They're only just north of your border.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Well, they owe alot to the brits, fer sure. The show was produced in britain, and was aired syndicated in North America. Of course, the performers are American, and chances are that The Muppet Show might have existed in some form or other without the British help, but it certainly wouldn't be the same. Plus, it being a british show, it was a big part of the culture. So I'd say that the Muppets belong pretty equally to both parts.

Edit: and yes, hire Canucks! Whoo.