Muppets at the Smithsonian

Erine81981

Reaction score
My sister a long time ago went to the DC on one of their High School trips and got to see Kermit in Smithsonian and took pics of several things. Now being that was pretty long ago and before we ever had a computer. (if that doens't tell you) But i kept that picture of Kermit she took with me everywhere. I had it up on my wall for a few years then i don't know whever happened to it but it was one of the things i charessed for all my childhood.

ploobis

Reaction score
Well I finally saw the Exhibit today, And I LOVED IT! :smile:

It was so AWESOME! I could go on and on about how cool it was!

It was so cool seeing Kermit, Rowlf, King Goshposh, Featherstone, Mahna Mahna, The Two Snowths, Sir Linit, Wilkins & Wontkins, Bert & Ernie, Gobo and Cantus!

Goshposh & Featherstone were huge! I bet Jim had to have his whole head inside the puppet to put his hand in his head. And if you look in Goshposh's mouth you can see a hole in there where his cigar use to be.

I'm sure the Rowlf puppet there was from either the 70's or 80's. It's amazing that his head is kinda smaller then his body.

I even found out how Mahna Mahna's blinking eyes worked. If you look closely you can see black wire in his foam ring eyes that are pulled down for him to blink, COOL!

Seeing a lot of Jim's original drawings and storyboards all over the walls was really amazing, It's cool that he did some of his sketches on really big sheets of paper! Next to the original Animal drawing it said that Dave Goelz built the first Animal puppet. It was also cool seeing Jim's original drawing for Doglion too.

The clips that they showed on the plasma screens were awesome, You enter in to the Gallery and you turn around and the classic "Visual Thinking" sketch is playing. On another screen you can watch "Time Piece" with Jim's original storyboard next to it! Another screen plays Jim's Commercials from the 60's, it was really cool!

Those books that they had on the table for people to look at were really neat, Too bad ya couldn't buy them. The pictures in those books were awesome!

I had so much fun at the exhibit and I hope that everybody here at Muppet Central got a chance to see it or plans to see it real soon! :wink:

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Indeed. Those who wish to see it had better do so whilst time is available.

ploobis

Reaction score
Biggest suprise was the size of Bert and Ernie. They are HUGE!

Yeah, But not as huge as King Goshposh & Featherstone. Now those were huge puppets! :smile:

I went to the exhibit today and I LOVED IT! :big_grin:

ploobis

Reaction score
Just got back from Washington DC and a visit to the International Gallery at one of the Smithsonian Buildings. They have a great exhibit of Jim Henson and I would highly recommend anyone going to see it. The display is there until October I think, but they have a 1970's Kermit, Gobo Fraggle, Bert and Ernie, and quite a few other puppets. There are also video interviews with Jim, as well as some of his early drawings and designs.

Biggest suprise was the size of Bert and Ernie. They are HUGE!

Go if you can, it is well worth the time.

Sue
Bert & Ernie were huge, But not as huge as King Goshposh & Featherstone! Now they were huge puppets!

I saw the exhibit today and I loved every minute of it! :big_grin: