Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
It just seems the general public was hoping for it to be similar to the last film or at least looking for that same emotion as the last one when that wasn't the intention. MMW had it's heartfelt moments in it's own way though. At least IMO.
I get the feeling when people say they wanted the same emotion as TM it's just another way of saying they didn't identify with the characters and their plight this time.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Just want to make it clear, MMW definitely didn't need to be all sappy for me to like it, lol. MCC was pretty sappy and that never grabbed me. GMC was probably the least sentimental of the original films and I love that. Like I said for me I just thought MMW's plot didn't reach high enough for a movie and just plain misunderstood the characters.

All in all, it's not a question of how emotional a movie is for me. It really just comes down to execution.

For the record, Groucho Marx used to say Night at the Opera was their best film. Over time he backed off that opinion when Duck Soup found a new audience in the 60s. Gene Roddenberry complained about Wrath of Khan. Creators are often too close to the material to judge things. And their opinions change and evolve, the same as the rest of us.

There's absolutely nothing sappy about MCC. It hits some emotional notes, but never in a sappy way.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
As a kid I did not like MCC, but as an adult I love that movie, and it has become a staple in my Christmas tradition.

Some are saying it's a flop, and others are refusing to accept that, because as Muppet fans it really seemed like it was made for us. The numbers however tell the story of a movie that did not to well, and Disney will see that. I think that the only thing that well help the movie is Blu-ray and DVD sales. If they sell really well then maybe we can come out of this Ok.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
As someone who takes pleasure in calculating and predicting box office figures, I think the answer here really is there isn't one. It happens.

There are certainly reasons why this person or that person didn't see MMW, but I don't think that speaks for the entirety of moviegoers. For whatever reason, a lot of people skipped this one. It has broken even so it's not doing poorly and with the home video market it will prove to be a good investment.

But we're now in a different age of movies. Even Johnny Depp's golden touch has been tarnished. It's clear that modern auds just want to see CG cartoons and emaciated teenagers pretending to be vampires or futuristic scifi heroes. Cinema has lost its gravitas. My hope is that it will all bounce back.

Nonetheless, the Muppets have always been best suited for the small screen. They need a show or at least some star-studded show-like specials (but not in the Gaga sense).

beaker

Reaction score
The answers are simple:

MMW were for the real fans, while TM2011 was the kind of sugar coated pill half meant for a wide audience.

The reason for the dismal box office of MMW is because the modern era has zapped a whole generation of creativity, magic and imagination. MMW was a litmus test to bring out the smart people, dreamers and thinkers to theaters.

LouisTheOtter

Reaction score
I think there's going to be a tremendous surprise reaction when MMW hits the home audience (Blu-Ray/DVD but also TV airings) and people who might have shrugged it off see how good it actually is. I, personally, am looking forward to that.

Good to see it's still playing in a few hundred theatres around North America even as the competition intensifies (particularly with the Marvel sequels). It should crack $50 million soon and might even get to climb up a little higher, depending on how long Disney leaves it in theatres before the August 5 Blu-Ray/DVD release. (I'm honestly surprised it's not completely out of North American theatres right now.)