Muppets Season 1 releases Aug 9, 2005

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a review of the set. It will be posted over the weekend. I'm going through the episodes one by one and compiling a list of the cuts.

Sean Gaffney

Reaction score
The main questions I want to ask Disney (politely, of course):

1) Are the cuts due to music rights isues, or something else?
2) If something else, is it something that can be fixed with replacements?
3) If it is due to music rights, will this be an issue with future season sets?
4) While the words uncut were not featured in the publicity, it was expected; couldn't you have broken the news gently prior to the DVDs being shipped?

If it *is* music rights, it's very odd that almost all of the affected shows are right near each other (barring Vincent Price). Does anyone know if there was music featured in the JG newsman segment, or the Jim Nabors Danceros skits?

G-MAN

Reaction score
Man, everybody seems to be getting it before me, and all these cuts are definately lowering my interests in this release. I've never seen some of the 1rst season episodes and to hear that certain skits are being cut especially from a couple that i've never seen before (Jim Nabors, Charles Aznavour) disenhartens me somewhat.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
This is starting to not sound like oversight. Either there were problems with the masters, like deterioration, or the cuts are deliberate.

Now I know I'm not buying this.

And now I'm worried about "Fraggle Rock", but fortunately there are no music rights issues, not to mention that FR is in Henson's hands, and not Disney's.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

Beauregard

Reaction score
No way...All of me is cut? i have waited YEARS to see that!!!

Looks liek we will have to keep trading pirate copies after all...man this sucks...

Still, i'm happier than with nothing...or am I...

Ernie101

Reaction score
Of course you are! Isn't this an improvement from what we did have? I mean like you said, "Better than nothing". Now that we have a little, stretch for a lot.

Exatron

Reaction score
The cuts wouldn't bother me nearly as much if Disney hadn't used the phrase "completely restored" and simply said that there were rights issues. Now all I expect from them is to fix the problem, regardless of the cost.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ernie101 said:
Of course you are! Isn't this an improvement from what we did have? I mean like you said, "Better than nothing". Now that we have a little, stretch for a lot.
You are right...i am not going to cancel my order, but...

I have been looking forward to seeing how that lovely crazy song "All of me" which I have on Mp3 plays out. Now I'll have to live wondering...or get a copy from someone else. I was thinking this DVD set would solve the trading problem...

Beauregard

Reaction score
Sorry to post twice, but this from Gelfling Waldo:

Will any skits or segments be cut due to issues with character or music rights?This has not been 100% confirmed yet, but I’ve been told that Disney has worked on all the legal stuff to keep the episodes in tact. Although some episodes/skits feature characters that are owned by other companies or feature music owned by other companies, Disney wants to release the show uncut and hopes to do so. We’ll have to wait until the press release (or maybe even until the actually release) to know for sure if the episodes are uncut, but I’ve been told not to worry about this.

Well, now we are worried about it, :smile: