My Concerns About Collecting the New Muppet Figures!

Drtooth

Reaction score
THE WHOLE SET?!?!?!? ARE YOU MAD, MAN?!?!? EVEN I CAN'T GET THAT MANY!!!!! Just kidding. Seriously, few people can get a whole set unless they spend every waking hour on e-bay, out bidding themselves. Or like Resident Lilly, you work for the company..heh..heh! Personally, I don't want the whole set, just the ones I really like. The only times I'll get the whole mainstream, non-exclusives of a set of a series will probably be series 2-4 provided I can afford the playsetts.

But if you insist....

bhg738

Reaction score
Dr Tooth - Yep I am mad! Maybe as I am not a huge Muppets fan I should just collect the ones I like or at least the normal figures. At the moment to have a full set you have to be one of 400 people or something like that!

Also another question for anybody is how do you feel about the playsets. Now I am a huge Simpsons fan but even I hate having to spend so much on a playset just to get a cool figure. I know there are a large amount of Simpsons collectors feel this way. How do you hardcore Muppet collectors feel?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, I have been put off from collecting Simpson action Figures now. Mainly because I didn't like the last series. Superintendant Chalmers is a funny character, but only when paired up with Skinner. I already had Willie, and Uter isn't as funny as he was in the first few episodes he was in. I was going to get the Troy McLure figure, but the only places that have it cost 8 bucks. That's a muppet figure. (I will get him once I get in some real spending money, but not now!) As for preferences, I just wanted Dr.Teeth for sereis one (maybe Kermit) But now I'm talked in to buying Honeydew and the Muppet Labs set as well.

bhg738

Reaction score
Whilst I agree that the characters coming out are not that well known the sculpting is brilliant.

Also in my case as a massive fan it is exciting to see these characters who have smaller roles. Who ever thought we would see a figure of Chalmers!

You see thats the problem with having an interest - once they start doing mercahndise you buy one thing, then another and then you have no money (but at least a nice collection)!

MM-III

Reaction score
playsets...

If the muppet playsets looked like the simpson playsets I might be upset too... but here is so much coolness packed into the muppet playsets that 20 bucks seems more than reasonable. Plus they're almost twice as big as the simpson sets.

GWGumby

Reaction score
I love the detail of the Muppet playsets. You can actually play with these playsets and they actually compliment the characters they come with -- as well with other figures from the regular line (with the exception of maybe Chef's Kitchen).

The Simpons sets seem only to be static dioramas with annoying voice-pegs that limit what characters can be there and where they can be placed and the direction they can face. I am also somewhat upset that I had to buy the entire Comic Book shop to get the Comic Book Guy, and am sad that I have given up on other figures like Apu, Skinner, and Lovejoy because I didn't want to pony up the dough for the set when all I wanted was the figure.

I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll be getting the playsets, but if I weren't, I'd probably be upset at having to buy the playset to get the character. However, it seems like there are plans for exclusives of the playset characters (like VC Beaker and the upcoming Aniimal) that will come on their own. With the possibility of a collector's club, it may make grabbing characters sans playsets a possibility -- although probably still at a higher price than at TRU.

Dr Teeth

Reaction score
bhg738- I am only collecting the Muppets and Sports Picks (NBA, NFL and MLB only) as of right now. I've scaled back what Star Wars I get to just what I like in the Episode 2 line. And no I don't have the Kermit in the Lunchbox, since it isn't carded I just don't feel like I have to have it. I to have gone through phases of collecting about everything since I was about 8. I collected comics for over 15 years and had closets filled with long boxes of comics (had to have every issue, variant, holographic cover, etc..). What got me into toys was that I am a HUGE X-men fan (have every comic from 1972 Giant Size X-Men to present) and the toys were released in 1992 and then I was hooked. Then in 1995 when the new Star Wars figures came out I was in heaven and have been a avid toy collector ever since. :big_grin:

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by bhg738
....Also another question for anybody is how do you feel about the playsets. Now I am a huge Simpsons fan but even I hate having to spend so much on a playset just to get a cool figure. I know there are a large amount of Simpsons collectors feel this way. How do you hardcore Muppet collectors feel?
I cannot wait for the playsets! As far as the simpsons, one of the coolest things about them is that they talk, and only if you put in on the playset. So, you are not paying "just to get a cool figure" you are paying also to enrich the fun of the figures you already have. You are the first person I have ever heard complain about this. I assume you are a mint-freak, who keeps all of his toys in the boxes, out of the sun and away from prying eyes.
IMHO the people who do not open and play with their toys do not fully enjoy them. Would you buy a house never to live in it? Would You Buy a Car never to Drive it? (Keeping the odometer low will increase it's blue book value!)
If you are not buying toys to open them and play with them, you are treating them as an investment. I would suggest you simply put your money in the stock market. Hey Ken, is Palisades publicly traded? That way you can profit off this toy line without frustrating yourself.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by uncleduke
I assume you are a mint-freak, who keeps all of his toys in the boxes, out of the sun and away from prying eyes.
IMHO the people who do not open and play with their toys do not fully enjoy them. Would you buy a house never to live in it? Would You Buy a Car never to Drive it?
I have the same opinion towards christmas ornament collectors who have a bird about the boxes being in mint condition. Do you hang the box on your tree or the ornament?

bhg738

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for contributing to the thread - much appreciated.

I must point out that I do find the playsets cool but I would rather have the figures. The fact taht they talk is great and provides plenty of amusement but does not bother me that much!

I do like to keep thing in packages BUT that is not for money value (TRUST ME) only because I prefer them. I have no willing to want to play with them any more I find much more enjoyment finding cool ways to display them around my place. They do look good all lined up and hanging up!

As for the Muppet playsets I do agree they are better than the Simpsons but if I did start to collect the line I really think I would pass as my interest is more into Simpsons. I really hope the figures might be sold single through the club.

Ah and Dr Teeth I hope your figure arrives ok. Let us all knwo when it does and what its like.