My Concerns About Collecting the New Muppet Figures!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby

I'm already resigned to the fact that I'll be getting the playsets, but if I weren't, I'd probably be upset at having to buy the playset to get the character. However, it seems like there are plans for exclusives of the playset characters (like VC Beaker and the upcoming Aniimal) that will come on their own. With the possibility of a collector's club, it may make grabbing characters sans playsets a possibility -- although probably still at a higher price than at TRU.
Though they may be worth more, they'd (forseeably, if that's a word) cost more that the playset itself!!!

Besides, These toys have much cooler playsets than the Simpsons (of which I have none, I got the Burger King Apu and Skinner). I'm probably even going to buy the Muppet Labs set. Originally I was going to wait for a different Beaker in the series. There are loose talks of an "exploded Beaker" down the line. But I might as well get the play set. I'm getting the electric Mayheim, Kitchen, and Swine trek sets, why not!

radionate

Reaction score
A lot of people keep their figures on the Blister Cards. I don't care for it in most cases. The one exception in my collection? My World of Sid and Marty Kroft figures. I hung them on the wall as they just look really cool in the TV blisters. Although everynight as I fall asleep (they are on my bedroom wall), I just want to rip them open some nights to play with them. Like they say in Toy Story 2, toys are meant to be played with and bring a smile to a child's face. Even if that child happens to be 27 years old!

Luke

Reaction score
I feel your pain - imagine how hard it is for people in countries outside the USA if they want complete collections.

The thing is if you are so intent on being a completist, there is nothing to stop you from being one. Of course being a completist takes money and effort to search out those hard to find figures but then if it was so easy to do this, there would be no prestige in having a complete collection.

As to the playsets, personally (whether we are talking about Simpsons OR Muppets) i think it's nice that they are being made but it's not essential to consider yourself a dedicated collector of the line. While the pricing for playsets isnt bad if you just wanted to collect the ones you really wanted, it's gonna be very expensive collecting every single one. I do agree that the Muppets playsets look superior to the Simpsons ones, which i think have got worse as the line has gone on. I do sympathise about having the playset figures sold seperately, but then part of the draw of playsets is about getting the figure inside so it's a catch 22 situation.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Me? I take mine out of the package. With a few exceptions

#1 the figure is rare and valuable (my Scrooge McDuck PEZ dispenser, it's rare state side, and my Yellow Sub figures, and the Shagadelic Austin Powers)

#2 I have extras.

#3 I have variants of a character (Casual Homer and Sunday Best Homer)

#4 I have no where to put them, and they are fragile (once again, My Yellow Sub figures, and My Maxwell Smart action figures)

Last night I took an old Burger King Universal Monsters Wolfman toy and opened it. It was from 97, I think. I couldn't take the suspence!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
bhg738

Welcome to the board! Just thought I'd weigh in here. I know you are a completist - to tell you the truth, I am too. I still haven't gotten the Dr. Teeth paint yet, but I will soon.

To make it very clear, though - Palisades has been great with restricting what their exclusives will be. They have pledged to release only slight repaints or variants of the cast that has already been released as a regular version so nobody feels hosed. That's something - and it's why Patrol Bear Fozzie will not come out this year. They had even completed the sculpt!

That being said - I have found the idea of exclusives to be a little bit troubling too ever since it was first stated almost a year ago. The packaging is the same except for a possible sticker placed by the retailer.

Lunchbox Kermit was an industry give-away and that practice is likely in place with many other companies so there's not much we can do about that. At least we can get the stuff seperately.

There is also a possible 3rd variation Teeth for those that missed out on the second one and the exclusives will be marketed differently in the future. There is also the possible collectors club as mentioned.

The reason that some of the figures will come in sets is so that people will buy them. It is unlikely that in such a limited run for playsets to be produced otherwise. Sad but true - and the Animal playset looks amazing! There will be an exclusive of him as well.

I hope you don't pass on this line - at least you can own all the characters they make - though it may be a little difficult to have every version.

towels

Reaction score
Originally posted by Drtooth
Last night I took an old Burger King Universal Monsters Wolfman toy and opened it. It was from 97, I think. I couldn't take the suspence!!!
Five years seems like enough suspense to me! That makes the month we spent after the Muppet figures left China wondering when they'd hit stores seem like nothing!

bhg738

Reaction score
frogboy 4 - Thank you for the welcome - I am glad to join. Your comments are a great insight and help! Your suggestion may be the best - I think I should look at collecting them but reside to the fact I should just get one of each character. I do like the playsets and know from a marketing point it = sales. As I am not a player and displayer though I cant warrent paying for a whole playset rather than just one figure. I do agree though that the Animal set sounds very tempting. It is also nice to know that someone shares my views. I hope you get that Dr Teeth!

Luke - Thanks for your message. I am in the UK. My local comic shop just got them but they are expensive. They are so great it is hard to pass them up. i really think the idea of one of each character is now the way to go. The playsets are a catch 22 though I do feel they are worth the money as they look substancial. However, have you seen the recent Simpson ones. They are not as good as Muppets but they are much better than they first were! As I do not take them out to display them it annoys me that I have to purchase a playset to get a nice figure.

I must point out to all that I am a completist of figures only. I have never been into buying playsets or vehicles unless they come with a figure. I guess I am a strange type of completist!

brutus

Reaction score
new toy line

Hi,
I am new as well, but I really agree with you about the need for a complete collection, but the problem with doing that is the price(at least in Canada). It also bugs me that you have to buy Beaker with the lab set and Prof. Bunsen Honey Dew separately! These figures cost a lot already, so why split up the pair? And will Statler and Waldorf be apart as well? Completing collections is hard enough, but at least while you might be trying to do it you would know that at least you had pairs that realy fit together.
also, I really don't like the Piggy sculpt. I hope that maybe later on down the line they'll make one that actually looks like one on Frank Oz's best characters.

brutus.

beaker

Reaction score
Well, from my star wars potf days one can beat oneself up abou trying to get every repaint, every package error, etc.

But its just silly.

So ya wanna be a Muppet figure completist?

Well, youll have to get 1-4, excl tux, excl piggy, kermit in lunchbox, dr teeth repaint, VC beaker, invis. beaker,
beaker with playset, oh...and break into palisades and
get the prototypes to series 2 and 3, as well as patrol fozzie sketches. see how silly that is.

you can always take it to the extreme.
as of right now the only figures you need are
kermit, kermit in tux, EB ecl piggy, bunsen, dr. teeth reapint, and the beakers coming out. bare bones, ya just need one of each.

Luke

Reaction score
<<I am in the UK. My local comic shop just got them but they are expensive. >>

Oh now i DEFINITELY feel your pain - i am thankfully not any kind of a completist where i would have to have every variant released, or i wouldn't be eating for the next month or two. I posted a link to an online store a while back in the UK where the figs were £10.99 each though yet to see if they've actually had them delivered.

As for the Simpsons, i like the orginal playsets, i do think there is more to do with the newer ones, but after about wave 3 it all just turned it a bit overly plasticky. Is it just me or are the newer figures a fair bit larger than the older ones and the characters features very over-emphasised ?