My first Bert Replica.

unclematt

Reaction score
That is great. I know I already said it but I just looked at the new pics and he is incredible.

Nojoy

Reaction score
Really is a great replica...
I love taking my puppets "out on the town" like you did... My wife, however, finds it completely embaressing... Double win for me *evil grin*...

Question for ya tho, and for any other replica builders...
Where do you track down the right materials to use for the clothing? Is it just luck, a right place and time kind of thing? Or is there somewhere you can order from on line? Seems to be one of the trickiest parts of the build.

Once again, gratz on the awesome Bert... now get in there and make his roommate!

psiomicron

Reaction score
Finding Bert or Ernie stripes are impossible unless your really lucky and they are carrying the same material from the 70's or 80's. The way I did it was go to a shirt logo place. Bought a white shirt, made the pattern on the computer, then gave it to them to print on both the front and the back. Only cost me about 20 bucks total. Then I had to cut it up and make a smaller shirt for Bert. The turtle neck I found for a buck at a kids clothing shop.

So that is what I'm going to have to end up doing for Ernie's shirt. :stick_out_tongue:

Nojoy

Reaction score
Absolutely brilliant.... never occured to me to actually have the pattern screenprinted or recreated that way. Thanks for the tip...

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
That looks great! You know, with the smaller nose you could pass him off as Baby Bert. he does look quite awesome, though!

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Awsome! :smile: I took a look at the other replicas and they look great! I almost made a grover.. but stopped because i was starting with no experience or idea in what i was doing, nd instead of seeing something ugly, i waited till i had more experience... and i'm still waiting but i have more confidence in making other characters... not a whole lot tho lol

also, what did you use for his nose, and is there a tutorial method? (if needed)

psiomicron

Reaction score
There is a couple of ways to do it. First way is getting one of those $1 nerf foam balls that is the same color and carve it down. Another way is just taking a foam block from a craft store carve it down and felt it (that is what I did). The other way is to get a styrofoam egg, flatten one side and felt it.

When felting you wet the felt in warm water and streach it around the foam so there is no wrinkles. Then put it on.

The one in this thread was too small. That is why you will notice a difference in his eyes and his nose in the newer post:

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=37859

Thanks again for the feed back!

kmk888

Reaction score
Hi psiomicron,
Forgive me, as I'm new to the forum...I wanted to email you, but couldn't. I'm looking for help on making an Elmo replica for my son's first birthday. Any tips? Thanks a million!