My Puppet Experiment

Joggy

Reaction score
This is funny. Whenever I mention "a puppet experiment" in school, my fellow students think it's XXX related.

Back to the original subject.

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Update....not that it matters.

Got a lot of work done this aftrnoon. I did go pick up the felt circles and Lo And Behold...they make them in black! So SCORE!

The head is done for the most part, just need to do some touch up work and attatch the neck. I have the hands finished (I may redo them though if i get everything done on time). I plan on working more after dinner tonight so I'll hold off on posting pictures till then!

Thanks for all the advice!

ROCK ON!

Grant

pdbooch

Reaction score
awsome

That's looking great! Glad the felt eyes are working out for you too.
I'm currently working on a baby dragon puppet for a friend. I'll get pix up soon.

pdbooch

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Grant!!

That looks GREAT!! I'm so proud of you!! And are you SURE this is your FIRST puppet to build??

Groovy!!

FOZ

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
Heh.

Thanks for the compliments Foz! Yes this is the first REAL, trying to be professional, puppet I've built.

A few years ago I built a sVERY simple sock puppet using the Muppets Make Puppets book. I also made a large Practical Hand Puppet with a broom for a head (as is also talked about in the Muppet book). Both of these were used for a pilot for a kids show, but neither had the time put into them that I did with this one.

I should finish it all today (including arm rods and a display stand). I'll post pictures when it's all said and done.

I've learned a lot while making this one. My main gripe with it is something no one even notices. I built the inner mough (with finger grips) musch like is described in the FOAM BOOK. But then I got a long atletic sock and slit it at the toe and covered the finger grips so it made a long tube that lead directly to the finger grips. During the rest of the construction of the head, the sock was a real pain to get on and off my arm and I feared that when I was finally done it would be impossible to get the sock off my arm without ruining the body, so I cut the sock off and built the rest of the puppet.

Well it turns out that the sock was doing a great job of holding my hand firmly in the finger grips and without it, the puppet has a nasty habit of sliding foward on my hand. There's now no way, because I'm pretty much completed, that I can re attatch the sock, so I'm skrewed!

I have remedies this my making an extra piece of foam that sort of wedges my hand more firmly in there, but it is no where near the same as that sock!

But you learn as you go. Next one will have a sock.

Thanks for the support through the whole thing! As I said I'll try to get some photos up tonight when it's all done!

ROCK ON!

Grant

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Hiya,

If it's sliding forward, attach elastic to the base of it that you can wrap under your arm and over your shoulder to hold it down in place on your hand.

FOZ

ToasterBoy

Reaction score
DONE!

Well, I'm finished and not a moment too soon seeing as Christmas is only a day away and the girlfriend gets in this afternoon! This last picture has no arm rods, but they are added now. I also have dowels on the end of them (which were stained to look nice and I also made a display stand. Murph also has a green chew bone made of foam and a computer printed Pedigree. Once I get back to S. California, I'll make a nice page detailing the progress, but for now, here's te last photo!

MurphDone.JPG

Thanks to everyone who contributed! I can't wait to make my next puppet!

ROCK ON!

Grant

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I am PROUD of you!!!

Looks great!!

Now, come do me a puppet show. :smile: