1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

My Theory On Elmo

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by That Announcer, Jun 9, 2005.

1. That Announcer New Member

As we all know, few on this forum like Elmo (myself included.) So why do we all hate him? Well, I have a theory.

One reason is his voice. The rest of the Muppets have fairly normal, pleasant-to-hear voices. Elmo has this screechy, whiny tone that goes straight down your spine. Baby Bear suffers from the same problem to an extent, but not as much as Elmo does.

Another reason is the phasing out of Ernie, Bert and the rest of the classic characters. I see no problem when Pepe comes in with the main Muppets and replaces, say, Rowlf. That's not a problem for me, because Pepe is only replacing one character. Elmo, on the other hand, has knocked out at least 7 Muppets- Bert, Ernie, Cookie, Grover, Oscar, The Two Headed Monster, and even to an extent Big Bird. All our favorite classic characters replaced by this little red annoyance.

The third reason is his new show dominance. It's bad enough that we rarely see the classic characters any more. We could just see them every once in a while. However, Elmo now occupies the street segments (1/4 of the show), "Elmo's World" (another 1/4 of the show) and many insert segments (about another 1/4). So, Elmo is now 75% of Sesame Street. Perhaps overdose, no?

All these things combined make us hate that evil furry monster. He ain't fuzzy and blue. He's just like the sight of blood- too much can make you scream.
  2. Convincing John Well-Known Member

3. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Thank you That Announcer! I have the exact same feelings!
    One other thing that bugs me about that furry red menace is he always says "Elmo did this" "Elmo did that." instead of "I did this." or "I did that." He's a bad influence on little kids when he talks like that. :mad:
    (In one of the fanfics in here,Elmo's babysitter Kiersten was getting frustrated with Elmo talking like that. DTF wrote the fanfic.)
  4. Convincing John Well-Known Member

5. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

6. That Announcer New Member

CJ: I agree with you pretty much 100%. I forgot to put the 'overexposure' deal in my post. And I hate Baby Bear more than I hate Elmo, but unfortunately, I cannot blame Baby Bear for the practical demise of Sesame Street. I also agree with your theory about the songs. "Air" sung by Bip Bippadotta is a perfect example of this. A while back there, I had pneumonia. So inasmuch as I was stuck in bed, I would watch the 10AM Detroit showings of SS. "Air" was the only memorable segment. Repetition yes, educational value yes. What is "Elmo's World" going to teach a kid, other than how NOT to do something (with the Noodle segments?) Oh by the way- Michael Jeter as Noodle was and is the only good thing about Elmo's World.

Kathy: Thanks for the compliments!
  7. BEAR Active Member

Hey, Katz...is this any different than Cookie Monster saying "ME want Cookie"? I riddle you?
  8. Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I don't know BEAR...I guess not. But Cookie Monster doesn't do it too often or have his own segment of the show like Elmo does. (I'm not getting into a fight about this btw)
  9. BEAR Active Member

Oh, me neither. I don't care about either of their impediments, I was just making a point regarding the poor example to kids thing. If one is bad, then a classic one that has been around from the beginning must be bad too. I was just jabbin.
  10. That Announcer New Member

Moreso that Cookie Monster doesn't come on a whole lot. Elmo, on the other hand, is everywhere- and so kids are likely to copy him and not Cookie.
  11. MrsPepper Active Member

Aw, I actually love Elmo. Though he does annoy me too, sometimes, Elmo's world is actually really good. Most importantly, it reinforces what kids are learning. If you throw something at a kid once, they're not gonna understand or remember, but with Elmo's world, they present a format which manages to stay fresh while being consistent, and kids can learn from it.
    And he's so CUTE and RED. I dont mind Elmo's voice, though I do understand how it could be grating to some. Here's an idea to keep it fresh: imagine Elmo talking like Splinter. :D If you do that, it NEVER GETS BORING.
  12. That Announcer New Member

This may come after MrsPepper's post, but it is in no way directed at her.

I'd like to reinforce what CJ said in one of his previous posts, that Raposo's songs are indeed educational. Repetitive yes, but educational, unlike the "Jump Song" and the like from Elmo's World. Take my all time favorite SS song, "Air", sung by Bip Bippadotta:

Listen up, America
    We've got something great for you!
    It's something you can feel and breathe and even see right through
    It isn't something you can smell
    Or taste or eat or see
    And please don't send us money --
    It's absolutely free

Oh yes, it's air, air, air
    It's the bargain of the day
    Air, air, air
    Doesn't look like much but, hey!
    It's handy when you're working
    It's handy when you play
    So get some air, air, air
    It'll blow you right away!

Oh, you can breathe it with your mouth
    Or you can breathe it through your nose
    And when you take your shoes off, you can feel it on your toes
    It isn't purple, green, or pink
    Or red or white or blue
    It's kind of hard to spot it, but
    It's always there for you

No taste! No waste!
    No tell tale smell, it's swell!
    Oh yes, it's air air air
    Send for your supply today
    Air, air, air from Maine to Monterey
    Americans just love it
    They breathe it night and day
    So get some air air air
    It'll blow you right away!

I'd also like to reiterate his hate for Elmo's non-educational purposes (and his hate for Baby Bear, who is my all time least favorite Muppet.) Now, I'll give the SS writers credit, as occasionally they try to make Elmo educational. However, you can see right through the "educational" value of the Elmo skits by watching a Raposo segment. A fine example of this clash (no pun intended) is the video "Elmo's Magic Cookbook." For starters, there's not a classic SS character in the whole dang thing. Not ONE. Who is there? Zoe, Elmo and Telly. No classic characters.

However, this video tries to be "educational" by having Elmo "teach" children about different foods, cooking and Trying New Things. However, you see what little the Elmo bits are doing by watching the Raposo segments put in. They actually have educational value! It's amazing! What is Telly going around, saying "makin' ice cream" going to do for a kid? What is a Very Special Cameo Appearance by Emeril (this man cannot act!) showing how to "BAM!" pepperoni on pizza going to do? Nothing. However, that classic pinball machine bit or the Ladybug's Picnic will do something- teach kids how to count to 12.

We need more classic SS, not some "baby beaw who dwaws Hewo Guy!" Not him. Not by a long shot.
  13. Convincing John Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for reading my posts and commenting on the Joe Raposo songs. He and Jeff Moss were very talented indeed.

One comment, though: the version of "Air" you typed up was sung by Guy Smiley. Bip Bipadotta had a different version of "Air". Both are great, educational songs though.

Convincing John
  14. That Announcer New Member

(watch TA's spirits drop)

Whoops! Sorry about that CJ. Couldn't remember what the lyrics were to the BB song (as I only ever saw it in hospital and a few times when I was really young) so I Googled the song and got that. Hold on a minute here, I'll get the lyrics and edit them into the post.

EDIT: Well, I couldn't find the lyrics. But I did surf on over to Tough Pigs and read Danny Horn's reviews of some Elmo DVDs.

I now realize exactly why I hate Elmo. Let me present to you some actual quotes from Mr. Horn, whom I used to like a lot, but whom now I hate:

For starters, we don't say that he takes the attention away from the other SS characters. We say that he WIPED OUT the other SS characters. Face it. When you walk into the toy section of a (say) Wal-Mart,and ask to see the Sesame Street toys, you see... Elmo. There might be a stray Cookie, or possibly if you're really lucky a Grover, but mostly it's Elmo.

Fair enough, Danny. But you don't call The Muppet Show's anniversary special Fozziefest, do you? It's not Kermit's Konvention, or Piggy Pals! It's The Muppets! There are many Muppets, all of whom are equal! There is no one! And even with the title aside, who did everyone want to sing with? Who took Jon Stewart's host position? Who was the one everyone tried to take care of? Who was the one who was the central bloody focus of the special? It ain't Grover, let me tell you...

HE FINALLY SAID IT! He admitted himself that Elmo has become the "central character that things revolve around." Even they admit it. Sesame Street has been running now for 36 seasons, and shows no signs of stopping. How can a series that's been running for that long have a "central character?" That's like having a piece of classical music that runs for 45 minutes all told, with 8 different parts to it, and saying there's a "central note!" It's impossible!

Oh, and by the way, if only going by the five videos he reviewed that week, our side won. Three to two. He didn't admit it, no; all he went on about was how Cute and Funny, and Deeply Sincere Elmo is. Well, he's none of those things. He's a little fireball, determined to get us all talking in a high screechy voice and demanding to be tickled. Sorry, Elmo, can't go along with it. I'll stick to the Cookie Diet.

I have another theory to propose: What we see on Sesame Street far too often now is not actually Elmo. What we see is RELMO, Elmo's evil twin brother. Elmo himself is actually rather smart, with a British accent and good grammar. Elmo reads a lot, and likes the old Sesame Street. Y'know- the one with Lefty the Salesman, and the Big Bad Wolf? The one where children were being tought to count to 20 at a young age? The one where many learned what went on in the world? The one where we learned how to make friends, and not to talk in "W"s or in the third person? That one.

I assume most of you know what I'm talking about here. If you disagree with me, fine. But you need no further proof of what Sesame Street is all about then to look at the only 3 SS smilies on the page: Oscar, Ernie and Bert. That's what we want, you SS heads. That's what the Street's about.
  15. D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Believe it or not, in 1998, I started to watch SS regularly again BECAUSE of Elmo's World; at that time I thought it was genius! Now, I wish they had something new like...Grover's World! Elmo is fine once in a while, but now, we're just plain Elmoed out! I mean, if there's any remakes of classic songs that he sings in, he'll hit a bad note here and there. Like when he sings "One Small Voice" with N'Sync. Here's another thing...in an article about SS from People Magazine April 2004, they talk about a few celebs who've guest starred on the show including: Queen Latifah, Jim Carrey, Denzel Washington, Julia Roberts, Ellen DeGeneres, and Ben Stiller. When Ben Stiller was on, he sang a "People In Your Neighborhood" with Telly. Elmo was nowhere to be seen in that bit, yet in the photo in the magazine's article, there he is, sitting on Ben's shoulder. My wish is that rather than kill Elmo off completely, dwindle him down a BIT!
  16. SillyRed Member

Elmo sang "One Small Voice" with the Backstreet Boys. :sing:
  17. That Announcer New Member

We need to expand beyond the only four characters being used today: Zoe, Elmo, Telly and Baby Bear, with ocassional cameo appearances by Papa Bear or Ernie. SS had more characters in its early years.

Oh, and D'Snowth, I like your idea of "dwindling him down." Why not cut Elmo's World, and instead have something called, say, "Come On Over to 123" with Ernie, Bert and Oscar (and the like.)
  18. Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Well, that's basically the concept of "Play With Me Sesame" except Oscar's not in that one.
  19. BEAR Active Member

I actually really like Baby Bear, but you know who my favorite newer character is? ROSITA!! I love her personality and she has a cool look to her.
  20. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Also the Guy Smiley version was actually a parody of a long discontinued car commercial. I don't think anyone who wasn't around in 1987-1989 When the commercial probably aired. Even still, it's a pretty obscure refference.

Personally, I dislike Elmo being the central focus, but I like the character. I mean, love him or hate him, Kevin Clash did take the charater turned down by two puppeteers and gave him a personality, and ran off with it. And you have to admit, he's 3 and a half years old, and three and a half year olds like to watch other three and a half year olds. Kids like other kids, and IMO, Elmo is one of the few Muppet kids I actually believe is a child, right up there with Big Bird and TMS Robin. I mean, I can't believe Grover's a child. He works odd jobs. To me, he's a college student trying to make ends meet. Ernie and Bert seem like 20-30 year olds who act childlike and share an appartment. Cookie... well, he seems anywhere from 20-40 to me. Telly seems like a worried 40 year old in a 20 year old's body (i.e. me). But Elmo has the exact mannerisms of a 3 year old.