1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

My Theory On Elmo

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by That Announcer, Jun 9, 2005.

1. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Exactly ... have some go to school/college ... have some get new jobs. Kids also have to learn that life changes. New people come ... other people go.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Mmm... well, you see the problem lies within the fact that Elmo originally was a little more monstery, and speaking in third person is a reflection on his brand of Monster speak. In fact, if you check out the video "monster Hits!" you'll notice that Elmo is more like a monster child than a child that just so happens to be a monster. I feel that it is easy to over look that, but don't forget...Cookie Monster has a very stitled speach pattern. Clearly they were going for the same effect, but a different extent.

As the character became more child like, and the monstery mannerisms started to fade, he kept the third person way of talking. Of course, he just doesn't say his own name because of the ego (like that guy on Seinfeld, I forget the name of, and George started copying him... "George is Gettin' Upset!"), just out of his monster roots. I like how he also says everyone else's name in third person as well.

But trust me, I find quite a few characters more annoying than Elmo. Well, at least Elizabeth and Murray Sparkles. not so much the cat, but the fact that there's a girl who's overly proud of her, displaying none of the charm of overzealous parents that praise Natasha for being a baby (there's so much truth in that, if you know the right people).
  3. Greedo

Greedo New Member

I don't have anything against Mr. Kevin Clash per se, he seems like a great fellow. SO I wonder what he thinks about all the Elmoization happening, and who's exactly responsible for the spread of the red tide, so to speak.:concern:
  4. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

LOL ... "cha-CHING baby!"
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Who's responsible? Why, the kids of course. Why on Earth would they try to force something on kids if they don't like it? They'd change the channel in a micro second, they would. It's like, why is Survivor still on the air? Because people watched it, and they are still watching it.

It takes 2 people to make something a fad... the creator and the audience.
  6. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I don't find Elmo a nuecence as a character, but an overexposed one. He's on literally everything! On toys, shirts, DVD covers (even the ones he doesn't star in) and a whole bunch of other things. He's got his own 15 minute segment on the show, that's enough. On the old show, did we get Grover or Kermit in every Muppet segment? They show is full of variety. Having Elmo all the time is the complete opposite.
  7. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Please don't misunderstand, we don't dislike him (or at least, like me, he isn't a favorite) because we didn't grow up with him IMHO, at least I don't think that is true mostly. He was around when I was little to, in fact our generation might be called the first one to have 'Elmo' as really himself :). But he was a background character then, and much more understated and not so...'on' all the time. I think our Elmo, the 80's Elmo I remember from age two onward, was a bit more..realistic..than he is now. If that makes any sense.

So, no, I don't hate Elmo for being himself..I just miss the character he was, back when SST had a little more balance and Big Bird :3
  9. antsamthompson9

Oh, I see.
  10. antsamthompson9

I'm with you. I don't have a problum with Elmo's voice at all.