My Version of Behind the Scenes of "The Muppet Movie"

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Tim said:
...Jim came up behind me and as he did for so many others, put his hand (THE hand!) on my shoulder and asked "How ya doing old man?".
I can't explain why, but that beautiful moment actually made me weepy. God, it must have felt like time stood still...

Tim

Reaction score
If it helps to take away some of the "weepys", the moment wasn't exactly "beautiful". It was late in the day, we were all exhausted, and sweaty and (because I looked and still was) pretty young, he was kind of making fun of me (in the nicest way).

Tim

Reaction score
Jon said:
Tim , thank you so much for your recollections of distilled magic! I envy you. (but in a nice way!:smile:

I do have a question(s):embarrassed:

Did you try on Uncle Deadly? I always imagined he to be one of the heavier Muppets to operate.

I'm wondering about the colour of the puppet aswell .Sometimes the puppet comes over as rather pale and others a deeper blue. Do you recall?

Again thanks for such a wonderfull story.
Thank you!

The only time I saw Uncle Deadly was when Jerry Nelson was entertaining with him (nose picking), and got a quick close-up look at him afterwards, but I didn't get to try him out. I would assume since his head was not much more than a greyish/blue colored foam that he is more bulky than heavy like many of the characters. Saturday Night's Ploobis looks huge and heavy, but was not much more than (very sweaty) foam.

As for color, blue is used a lot since it photographs so well. I think I mentioned the "whites" of all the S.S. charcters eyes are all powder blue. Made them look like "Night of The Living Dead Muppets"-creepy!

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Tim said:
but was not much more than (very sweaty) foam.
Lol!

Tim said:
As for color, blue is used a lot since it photographs so well. I think I mentioned the "whites" of all the S.S. charcters eyes are all powder blue. Made them look like "Night of The Living Dead Muppets"-creepy!
LOL, oh man...that sounds so cool!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Jon said:
Did you try on Uncle Deadly? I always imagined he to be one of the heavier Muppets to operate.
I don't think he looks very heavy. Especially not compared to Bobo, Behemoth or Gorgon Heap.

Jon

Reaction score
Yeah should have clarified i meant in relation to a certain type of Muppet. Also i am not to familliar with the Saturday Live Muppets.

Great info Tim , thanks.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Tim said:
If it helps to take away some of the "weepys", the moment wasn't exactly "beautiful". It was late in the day, we were all exhausted, and sweaty and (because I looked and still was) pretty young, he was kind of making fun of me (in the nicest way).
You must never take away my weepy's! I need them! Now I must replenish my weepy's by watching "The Fox and the Hound".

But seriously, the bottom line is still great story, dude. :cool:

PhsychoChimp

Reaction score
In the screening room, Baskerville, with legs, is next to Gonzo. Rowlf and Lew choose to stand. And Rowlf even throws a paper airplane, that lands infront of the Lunche On Counter Monster.
Muppets that gained legs could only sit I think... Link, Luncheoncounter, Baskerville, Boppity, Nigel, Marvin, Zoot, Statler, Waldorf, Fozzie, Bunsen, Beaker, Robin, Kermit, Floyd, Janice, Animal, Camilla, Dr.Teeth, Crazy Harry, Sam, Piggy.
And, they have an extra chicken in those scenes. Who was supposed to be there? Beauregard? Gloat? Droop? Deadly?

Tim

Reaction score
OOOHH touch question!

Cop out answer..they were ALL my faves!

Actually, that's probably true. First, it was almost unreal actually holding all my televison friends. Then, since I build, I was fastenated by their size, the design and construction, how they worked, and finding out a lot of their "secrets". All the while realizing just who's hands were normally inside, plus just how world famous these thing really were in the first place.

Keep in mind, I only had a few seconds with each one, so you see, it would be impossible to pick one.