"Never Before, Never Again" UK vs US soundtrack

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the version of "Never Before, Never Again" on the UK soundtrack album is quite different to the one of the US version. On the UK soundtrack the track was more upbeat with a disco rhythm and the vocals had obviously been re-recorded. When the soundtrack was released on compact disc in 1993 they opted for the US soundtrack version. Any idea why a different version was used on the original UK release and does anyone know of any backstory behind the recording of the soundtrack?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, we play both versions of the song on Muppet Central Radio. It's very interesting to hear the different arrangements and melodies in the song.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
There were two different US versions, too. I had the original vinyl album (remember those?) of the soundtrack, then I bought a cassette version and they were different. I couldn't describe them to you now. It was too many years ago, but I always liked the verison on the record album better.

:stick_out_tongue:

anathema

Reaction score
Both versions of the song have appeared on US releases of the album - I have two different cassette releases. The alternate version also appeared on a Canadian issue of the album, and the original soundtrack of the film (the 97-minute cut). The latter is probably the reason why it appeared on an album.

The vocals are, however, the same in both versions - it's just the musical arrangement which changed.

anathema

Reaction score
There must have been a third version, then.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Does anyone know which version(s) came out in Australia? I've never heard The Muppet Movie soundtrack.

anathema

Reaction score
Does anyone know which version(s) came out in Australia? I've never heard The Muppet Movie soundtrack.
The Australian copy I have is the same as the US version, I think.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
The vocals on the UK soundtrack and longer video release (from Palace Video in the mid 80s) are definitely a different recording to the one on the US soundtrack and 1993 CD release. I wonder if the change in the mix was anything to do with the fact the UK were slightly behind as far as disco went in the 70s so when the US were getting a little tired of it by '79, the UK were still lapping it up.