"Never Before, Never Again" UK vs US soundtrack

anathema

Reaction score
The vocals on the UK soundtrack and longer video release (from Palace Video in the mid 80s) are definitely a different recording to the one on the US soundtrack and 1993 CD release. I wonder if the change in the mix was anything to do with the fact the UK were slightly behind as far as disco went in the 70s so when the US were getting a little tired of it by '79, the UK were still lapping it up.
Ah, the source of the confusion :smile: The arrangement of the song on the 97-minute movie is not the same as the arrangement used on either US or UK soundtrack albums... ;-)

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
Ah, the source of the confusion :smile: The arrangement of the song on the 97-minute movie is not the same as the arrangement used on either US or UK soundtrack albums... ;-)
I have the original UK soundtrack and the 97 minute version of the movie on video. If they are not the same, they are pretty close! Even down to the "disco" beat and the way Frank Oz's voice doesn't seem to sync with the backing track properly towards the end.

anathema

Reaction score
I have the original UK soundtrack and the 97 minute version of the movie on video. If they are not the same, they are pretty close!
Yes, they are similar, but not identical. In particular, the version on the movie starts somewhat differently.

Even down to the "disco" beat and the way Frank Oz's voice doesn't seem to sync with the backing track properly towards the end.
Which is the strongest evidence that it's the same vocal recording re-edited to fit (almost...) the new music.

David French

Reaction score
The UK cover on the front of a gatefold which is otherwise identical to the US release. CBS records, catalogue no. SBP237377.
Hmmm...that's the version I've got as well. What label was the UK version released on?

anathema

Reaction score
Hmmm...that's the version I've got as well. What label was the UK version released on?
Also CBS, albeit with a different catalogue number.

I could be mistaken about which version is on the Australian disc - according to my notes it's probably the US one, but it's also possible that I haven't actually checked the LP yet...

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Now that is one of many records I would be glad to have, whatever version of Never Before Never Again was included. Thanks to everyone who answered my post.

MisterDuhFrog

Reaction score
I have the same cut on my DVD of the Muppet Movie, if you play the movie in French or Spanish. However, in Spanish, the vocals become frighteningly out-of-sync with the accompaniment, which isn't much of a problem because Piggy isn't much of a singer. I'd just listen to the accompaniment.

And I like that version. It's so great to hear the lush Nelson Riddle-style arrangement we have been familiar with for so many years, but then to hear it turn into a mellow pop ballad with smooth electric pianos, easy electric guitars, backing vocals, and thick strings, is interesting.