New Electric Company TV Show and DVD

Dantecat

Reaction score
Are Box Seasons of Vintage SS are going to be released too? Because that will be great too. :excited:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Interesting that someone on ebay is selling 3 discs of The Electric Company for a total of 12 episodes. It's listed as volumes 1,2 and 3. Didn't think any yet existed. But the price of the high bid right now is over $50. Too much for my blood. :smile:

Ziffel

Reaction score
Here's a new article about the 4 disc, 24 episode set of "The Electric Company" dvds being released on February 7th.

Some highlights from the article:

"The 24 episodes will have the most memorable skits, least repetition and best representation of celebrities (including Morgan Freeman, Bill Cosby and Rita Moreno), says Heather Hanssen, a spokeswoman for Sesame Workshop."

- - - - - So it will be like a "best of" set. I can't wait. These ought to be really, really good!

"Now the company is focusing on the adult nostalgia market." "We're not intending for this to be something that kids can watch, although I'm sure they would enjoy it," Hanssen said. "It's really for ... the person who grew up watching 'The Electric Company' on PBS."

- - - - - Excellent! And yes, parents who buy this will see that their kids will really enjoy these (as I heard so many adults say was the case with the SS Unpaved shows). But that's awesome that they realize there is a market for adults with nostalgia in itself.

"Now what about "3-2-1 Contact," another popular PBS show of the era? There are no plans at this time to release it on DVD, Hanssen says."

- - - - - And I say, what about classic Sesame Street for dvd? Anything would be great, whether it be a "best of" set, a season premiere of years one to twelve set, etc. And as was pointed out by Fozzie Bear regarding "The Muppet Show" season one dvd (that if we all pre-order it in droves it will help ensure the release of the subsequent seasons), let's make sure we likewise make this "TEC" set a big hit. They will get the message and be more likely to issue more of the "TEC" and perhaps other classic PBS shows. And maybe Sesame Street too!

Ziffel

Reaction score
The Electric Company dvd is already available for pre-ordering on Amazon!
It's $34.99 and it's called "Best of the Electric Company". Currently it's ranked #6913 in amazon dvd sales. But I'll bet (and hope) it will eventually be #1 as was "The Muppet Show". :smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
You know, I have never ever seen this show. I dont even know what it's about..

Ziffel

Reaction score
Like Sesame Street, The Electric Company is a PBS children's television show (1971-1977) put out by Children's Television Workshop. It lacked the muppets though. It also didn't quite have the magic or level of brilliance of SS either, in my opinion. However I still enjoyed it a great deal. Like Sesame Street, it taught kids spelling and reading and letters through often humorous and clever skits, both human and animated. A lot of great catchy songs too.
I just ordered my dvds at Amazon just now (and also The Jeffersons season four, due out October 11th!). Have to wait five months now to get them. I hope a lot of people pre-order this and make it a big hit!

mikebennidict

Reaction score
not exactly like SS it was supposed to be a reading series such as reading sentences and was aimed at older children around the ages of 7-10.

Ziffel

Reaction score
That's true Mike. I was just giving a brief overview of the show to Mrs. Pepper and mentioned the similarities to SS and the difference that it lacked muppets. But there were other little differences as well, such as the emphasis on reading and letters and not numbers, and the aim towards a slightly older child audience like you mention.
By the way, are you excited about the upcoming TEC dvds and do you think it could very well potentially lead to some vintage SS dvds if it does well? :smile:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
well since I don't plan to get any DVD's of any kind I don't think much of it very much but then again at the same time it's good that they thought of it for all those who remember the show.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I only just found out about this. So cool! I'm really intrigued by the idea of a new show. Very interesting...