New Members: Please Post and Introduce Yourself

katiecandraw

Reaction score
hello all!

i've been a forum lurker for a while and i thought it was time for me to finally peek my nose in (and finally start commenting around the forums!)

my name is katie cook, i'm a 27 year old comic artist and illustrator living in the ann arbor, michigan area. i do most of my work for star wars, but i've also done licensed work for DC, Marvel Comics, Lord of the Rings, Heroes, Crayola, Disney and more. I work in a studio as a toy designer by day and draw comics by night.

I'm a fanatic muppet/henson fan and accuse my childhood dreams of building and performing muppets to leading me down the career path i took in life :smile: i build puppets when i have the spare time and constantly follow my poor cat around with the what-not puppet of myself my dear hubby gave me for my birthday last year.

whenever i have a spare moment, when i'm not trying to build a puppet, i doodle up my favorite muppet characters to while away the time.

you can see some of my work at www.katiecandraw.com

cheers!
k

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to MC Katy. Hope you like it here. Toy designer and illustrator, man that's a perfect double whammy right there. Slightly jealous in a good way am I. :batty: :super:

migueland77

Reaction score
Hi, there. I sign up long time ago (Well, less than a year). And I never since then introduce myself(Sorry to be disrespectfull). But I'm Miguel, and Started in this field like almost a year, and I really like it (But since kid i love a lot puppets; Sesame Street, Muppets). And now i'm learning how to build puppets(I've done some). But a lot to learn. So, any advise, help will be welcome and appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Miguel!

pressedsilk

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm an art teacher and an artist living incentral Wisconsin.

I've loved the Muppets since I was a child. Everyone in our family loves the Muppets and we've watched them on TV for years.:smile:

Now my children are adults they still love to watch the Muppets!

This past school year I brought my Muppets into my classroom.

I brought in some of the Muppet movies and read the books on Jim Henson and we talked about Jim Henson and the Muppets during our art class.

My students got some TV press coverage and a few news paper articles written about our class and how used Jim Henson and the Muppets as our theme for art class.
It's not easy being green!

StreetScenes

Reaction score
I'm an art teacher and an artist living incentral Wisconsin.

I've loved the Muppets since I was a child. I'm 53 years old and when my children were younger they watched the Muppets.:smile:

Now my children are adults they still love to watch the Muppets!

This past school year I brought the Muppets into my classroom.

I brought in some of the Muppet movies and read the books on Jim Henson and we talked about Jim Henson and the Muppets during our art class.

My students got some TV press coverage and a few news paper articles written about our class and how used Jim Henson and the Muppets as our theme for art class.
very cool. welcome to the forum! i'm an educator too of sorts and i LOVE to think/talk about teaching...and muppets...so i'd love to hear more about how you teach with them. ideas & experiences about using muppets in the classroom is a topic rather lacking in this forum...i'm going to go start a thread on it. not sure where to put it, i'm thinking muppet worlds?

pressedsilk

Reaction score
Muppets inspire Arts Camp and in the Classroom

:smile: I used Jim Henson and the Muppets as an inspiration at both a 4-H State Arts Camp and my art students.

I felt that Jim Henson was a great artist for my art students to have a mentor. He creasted his first puppet in 8th grade. My students could relate to his creativity and how he followied his dreams.

Since Him Henson's first (Kermit) puppet was made from his mothers coat, my students could learn about recycling materials.

So my course theme addressed both Jim Henson and his ability to recycle materials.

Viewing the Muppets TV Program and movies introduced my students to an almost forgotten Muppet creator. (Some of my students had forgotten that the Muppets exist.)

Jim also made a bit of money from following his dreams. My students need to know that artists can make a living if they follow their dreams.

Jim Henson and the Muppets made a great impression on my students.

I have photographs of both the arts camp and my 3rd through 8th grade students. Both organizations made the local news papers and my artstudents also has press coverage on a local TV Channel 9 News Program.

pressedsilk

Reaction score
Hello!

Congrats on the baby!

I remember walking my my three little childrne across a street or parking lot and telling them "Walka! Walka! Walka!
Fossy Bear would say that all the time!

Now I'm sharing my love for the Muppets with 51 art students in central Wisconsin.
:smile: