New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Anything but muppets in space!! No offense to people who liked that movie but I did not like it at all. Right up there with MTI.
I'm thinkin' you're confusing 'In Space' with 'From Space'. 'In Space' was a Kirk Thatcher written (Jerry Juhl approved) script where the Muppets actually went into space. 'From Space' was a Jerry Juhl script that was hacked apart into meaty story chunks and reformed into the movie that was finally released.

EDIT: I should really type faster. :stick_out_tongue:

Beauregard

Reaction score
EDIT: I should really type faster. :stick_out_tongue:
I believe you were, what we like to call, Ziffled. (Names after an old member Ziffle who was constantly caught typing answers slowly, whilst others got there just before him!)

Muppets IN Space has always seemed a MUCH more inspired idea (ala. Galaxy Quest...but actually funny.) But, I wouldn't want to see it now. Too much time has past. Space movies are not really in at the moment.

Beauregard

Reaction score
Aww, I think Galaxy Quest is hilarious... guess it takes all tastes! :wink:
I did quite enjoy it, especially as a Star Trek parody, but I'm not a huge fan of Tim Allen so his presence as the main character hampered it a little for me you see. I've always imagined a movie where some aliens (Koozbains?) think Pigs in Space is real though, would be amazing.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Maybe they could make a telefilm while we wait for The Muppet Something Or Other. Someone mentioned The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made, but there are other unfinished films that I'd rather see. The Muppet Time Travel thing was an interesting idea. If you don't know about it: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppet_Time_Travel. Also, the original Muppets In Space. Again: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Muppets_in_Space. Just some ideas. I think both of these could also work as feature films. I want to see both of these films, and this is our best chance to.
The main reason why The Muppets was made was because Jason, and the other writers, were sick of the gimmicky movies hat were being made (and I guess ones he heard about that weren't). If the movie succeeded in one thing, it was showing that the Muppets can be in a movie where they play themselves without some crazy theme that's completely inorganic to the film.

Time Travel and In Space are the very same kinds of Muppet movies that Jason and the rest would have dreaded... and in a sense, we probably wouldn't be too happy with them either. Not that Kirk's "in Space" movie wouldn't have been more enjoyable than MFS ever was... but deep down, we know Jason and Stoller were right in doing the right movie at the right time. Something like In Space or Time Travel wouldn't have lit the fire under the collective bellies of Muppet Fans, especially the ones that forgot how much they loved the characters due to the meh-ness of the last films. It wouldn't have relaunched the franchise, and I don't think they could sustain it just yet.

They're not quite in the stage of playing with house money just quite yet. The first movie had to be a hit to get a second one, the second needs that same passion to become a hit to make a third movie. They can do whatever the heck they want then, but right now, we need something as passionately driven as the last film.

Powerstars

Reaction score
The main reason why The Muppets was made was because Jason, and the other writers, were sick of the gimmicky movies hat were being made (and I guess ones he heard about that weren't). If the movie succeeded in one thing, it was showing that the Muppets can be in a movie where they play themselves without some crazy theme that's completely inorganic to the film.

Time Travel and In Space are the very same kinds of Muppet movies that Jason and the rest would have dreaded... and in a sense, we probably wouldn't be too happy with them either. Not that Kirk's "in Space" movie wouldn't have been more enjoyable than MFS ever was... but deep down, we know Jason and Stoller were right in doing the right movie at the right time. Something like In Space or Time Travel wouldn't have lit the fire under the collective bellies of Muppet Fans, especially the ones that forgot how much they loved the characters due to the meh-ness of the last films. It wouldn't have relaunched the franchise, and I don't think they could sustain it just yet.

They're not quite in the stage of playing with house money just quite yet. The first movie had to be a hit to get a second one, the second needs that same passion to become a hit to make a third movie. They can do whatever the heck they want then, but right now, we need something as passionately driven as the last film.
I see. Makes sense. Because if they hit with a film that does that, but does it the wrong way, it could further sink the Muppets into submission. The last few films before TM I didn't like very well. Wizard Of Oz, From Space, Treasure Island, and yes, I didn't like Christmas Carol either! The Time Travel thing looks sort of like it would be the same set-up as MFS. The Muppets live in a house together and sing one song while the others are stock licensed music. ****, MFS didn't even HAVE an original song! So, yeah, I see what you mean.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Last I heard Nick said it would have the feel the first three muppet movies did meaning "caper" TYPE comedy and the feel of the first movie and mtm.

Status
Not open for further replies.