NFFC Big plans announced for the Muppet gang

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I believe the roast idea was to celebrate Kermit's 50 years in showbiz. To leave out Sesame Streeet then, would just be a huge lie and everyone would know it. Even some of my non-muppet-fan friends know that Kermit was on Sesame Street first, before the Muppet show. If that's what they are doing, they'd have to include it. I mean, it's general knowledge. People would know something is up.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Presumably though Disney can ask to use a clip of Sesame Street in a special same as anybody else can ask to use a clip of any other show in any other special...

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
beaker said:
Perhaps you do not realize the significance of Sesame Street with Kermit. Were not talking about Fraggle Rock, were talking a theme and identity so ingrained with Kermit the frog, that to take that away would truly be a sad day.

Oh, I certainly do realize the importance, and nothing would make me happier than to see it happen the right way. If they can do it, all the better. But if they can't reach an appropriate agreement, I'd rather see them go ahead and celebrate Kermit than just ignore the milestone. It's impossible to turn back the clock, though, and pretend that all of the muppets are under the same roof. I do hope that Disney pursues Sesame Workshop and makes a deal with them for such a special event, though. It would be nice to see them avoid taking the easy way out on this. Looking at the specs on the Muppet Show dvd set, though, it looks like they do have people working for them who want to give the fans what they want, and who care about the history of the muppets. Let's hope that those people are in charge of this special.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I am not sure if disney plans on using clips in the roast or not, but if they do then i hope that they use some clips from The Jim henson Hour and Muppets Tonight.

I wonder who will roast kermit: celebrities, muppets, or both. It would be cool if the newsman and/ or Fleet Scribbler did a report on the roast at the beginning (like how kermit did a report on Elmopalooza at the beginning of that special).

As fo Sesame Street characters being needed for Kermit, think of this: even when henon owned part of the rights to the sesame Street characters, Kermit wasn't normally seen as part of the gang. In follow that bird and most of the specials, he normally appeared as a news reporter. kermit rarely appeared in any Sesame Street cast photos (although I have seen a cast photo from the first season with him). He rarely appeared in illustrated Sesame Street books. he rarely appeared as part of the Sesame Street gang (did he attend Maria and Luis' wedding? did he go to the metropolitan museum of art with the cast? did he appear in Big Bird In China? did he go skating with them at the beginning of Christmas Eve On Sesame Street? was he in The Muppet Alphabet Album?).

Also, he normally appeared by himself on sesame street, or with one-shot anything muppets. he normally appeared with grover, and there are quite a few sketches where he appeared with the Count, Cookie Monster, Don Music, and Dr. Nobel Price, but he pretty much stayed away from the regular cast on a regular basis. You might have noticed that whenever sesame Street characters cross over with the muppets, they rarely interact with kermit anyway (kermit didn't talk to any sesame street characters in A Muppet family Christmas, and he hardly talked to Big Bird in the leslie uggums episode of The Muppet Show).

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
(kermit didn't talk to any sesame street characters in A Muppet family Christmas, and he hardly talked to Big Bird in the leslie uggums episode of The Muppet Show).

Well, he had a lot on his little froggy mind...

:smile:

unclematt

Reaction score
This makes the end of TMM and the end of TMTM so special and it makes a special like MFC priceless. If you own these they should be protected like they were your kids.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Probably. It probably meant that in 1999 though when they were first sold. I'm sure if Disney asked SW would allowed Big Bird or Grover to show up on a special. Old Kermit skits still show up on Sesame Street and I bet Disnye oculd have them yanked if they wanted.
There have been a small number of crossovers between the muppets and sesame street cast since then. Elmo appeared at muppetfest, the cast of both shows appeared in a music video called "We are family" (although I don't think that should count, since it featured characters from other kids shows as well) and kermit did make a few new appearances on sesame street: in part one of the hurricane episode, and in the song "Ev'rybody be yo'self". also, back when it was announced that the south african version of sesame street would have a character with aids, I saw a news report involving this where kermit was talking about the situation (although I guess that the company that owned that news program got the rights to interview them, not sesame workshop).