1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

No Oscar Performance?

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by MuppetGuy75, Feb 7, 2012.

1. muppfozz

muppfozz Member

:batty: I am not surprised that the new muppet movie did not do very well for the oscars.... It was too cute, sweet, clean to fit those people. As for Harry Potter.....I have seen all the movies and this last Harry Potter was sooooo good. Violent, scary but really, really good. I am really mad about Potter only getting about 3 oscar nominations and those were not for the ones that people watch the oscars for. They gave the Lord of the Rings last picture an oscar and to me Potter was just as good. This time some of the movies for best picture are sooooo stupid. I am just glad we got a New Muppet Movie and it will be out on video soon...:jim:
  2. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Was there ever a reason to watch? :) I always thought the Oscars were dull. Sure they usually nominate and award indie films I love, but like most the stuff on tv I just don't see the point. Last year's Oscars were deemed insanely boring and hard to watch by most viewers. Like this year's election, or reality tv, I say people should just tune it out.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

No one ever sees the films that are nominated for Oscars, unless there's one very mainstream film there. Can't lie, I didn't even see Bridesmaids (not a big Kirstin Wiig fan, though I like her Kathy Lee Gifford skits and her Lola Bunny). other than the times they nominated Pixar Films, I haven't seen any of them since Juno. And I dug Juno.

Of course, most of the nominees happen... heheheheh... JUST before the awards ceremony so they can still qualify. Which brings me to...

They make movies specifically to get Oscars... that's why they pick certain films over something more mainstream... though I rarely see anything mainstream that deserves best picture... best sound, best effects, best animated... sure... but I rarely watch the quieter, more adult films until they come to video and I just so happen to be at someone's house and they have it.

But tell me Extremely Loud and Incredibly close doesn't scream "We made this specifically to get an Oscar!" Hollywood dealing with big events the way they usually do, 10 years after the fact when it's safe to pretend they care.

That said, when has a true indie film ever been nominated? Sure we have "indie" films that have major celebrities, put out by major studios with a fake prestige title, but never a true indie film.

Sigh... I wish Being Elmo was nominated for a best documentary... but it isn't about war torn countries from the point of view of the side that's doing the war tearing.
  4. Alvin

Alvin Active Member

You would think they would let the "NOMINATED" songs from the movies get a performance..geez. HECK they outta start the whole show off with Life's a Happy Song...what an opening that would be!