No Oscar Performance?

muppfozz

Reaction score
:batty: I am not surprised that the new muppet movie did not do very well for the oscars.... It was too cute, sweet, clean to fit those people. As for Harry Potter.....I have seen all the movies and this last Harry Potter was sooooo good. Violent, scary but really, really good. I am really mad about Potter only getting about 3 oscar nominations and those were not for the ones that people watch the oscars for. They gave the Lord of the Rings last picture an oscar and to me Potter was just as good. This time some of the movies for best picture are sooooo stupid. I am just glad we got a New Muppet Movie and it will be out on video soon...:jim:

beaker

Reaction score
I now have no reason to watch the Oscars this year.
Was there ever a reason to watch? :smile: I always thought the Oscars were dull. Sure they usually nominate and award indie films I love, but like most the stuff on tv I just don't see the point. Last year's Oscars were deemed insanely boring and hard to watch by most viewers. Like this year's election, or reality tv, I say people should just tune it out.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I ain't gonna lie: Of all the nominated films — and we’re talking in every category, from best pic to supporting actor — I've only seen one. And I'm not ashamed to admit that one flick was Bridesmaids.
No one ever sees the films that are nominated for Oscars, unless there's one very mainstream film there. Can't lie, I didn't even see Bridesmaids (not a big Kirstin Wiig fan, though I like her Kathy Lee Gifford skits and her Lola Bunny). other than the times they nominated Pixar Films, I haven't seen any of them since Juno. And I dug Juno.

Of course, most of the nominees happen... heheheheh... JUST before the awards ceremony so they can still qualify. Which brings me to...

And even the ones that actually are nominated tend to still be "popular films." You won't see too many decent independent ones, heh. Nor will you see too many working actors receiving awards when you have movie stars to take all the glory. Theses awards shows are just a way to keep the Hollywood machine going, not to reward art.
They make movies specifically to get Oscars... that's why they pick certain films over something more mainstream... though I rarely see anything mainstream that deserves best picture... best sound, best effects, best animated... sure... but I rarely watch the quieter, more adult films until they come to video and I just so happen to be at someone's house and they have it.

But tell me Extremely Loud and Incredibly close doesn't scream "We made this specifically to get an Oscar!" Hollywood dealing with big events the way they usually do, 10 years after the fact when it's safe to pretend they care.

That said, when has a true indie film ever been nominated? Sure we have "indie" films that have major celebrities, put out by major studios with a fake prestige title, but never a true indie film.

Sigh... I wish Being Elmo was nominated for a best documentary... but it isn't about war torn countries from the point of view of the side that's doing the war tearing.

Alvin

Reaction score
You would think they would let the "NOMINATED" songs from the movies get a performance..geez. HECK they outta start the whole show off with Life's a Happy Song...what an opening that would be!