1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Now what's going on with YouTube?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Apr 2, 2010.

1. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Wow, they have changed MySpace a lot since I've visited last! Love it or hate it, I don't think it's the new design is to blame for the slow speed. That's usually a server-side issue. However, it's probably being caused by the conversion. :wisdom:

Personally, I'd rather these sites look different. As things in the web world get larger everything else starts to look the same. :sympathy:
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

GAH! Now Deviant Art is pulling the same stuff too.

Razzafraggin
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Shitaki mushroom...

Seriously, when the Elmo is enough going to be enough? ! This is the second time in a one year period dA suddenly changed the layout on us, and it always takes forever to get used to... and this obviously wasn't designed with relatively older laptops in mind - my maximum laptop resolution is 1024 x 768, and this is stretching out my window whenever I open it. At least there's ONE consolation to all of this... this has put a stop to the invasive automatically refreshing ads on the pages.

But seriously... Yahoo! YouTube (several times), deviantART (twice), MySpace, Wikipedia, MSN... WHEN the ELMO is this all gonna END? !
  4. D'Snowth

I take it back... THAT didn't last long. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm 50/50 about the new dA layout... it really has no pros, other than our profiles and such still look cosmetically the same, but our galleries have been stretched out because of the new wide layout, and as such, I had to upload at least two more random deviations to fill in the new two empty spaces where my gallery didn't come out evenly.

My cons about the new layout are mostly related to the messages... a few days before the new layout debuted, I noticed that our mailboxes for PMs and notes had already been overhauled, and they were kind of hard to navigate through... not to mention, if you received a new note, used to, you could just click on it, and it would take you right to it... NOW, if you click on it, it takes you to your inbox, where you have to click the message again to open and view it. Another con is when you receive messages in general now... in the old days, you used to could hover your cursor over the messages link at the top of the page, and an alt would tell you 'C' for comments on your deviations, profile, journals, etc; 'R' for replies to comments; 'A' for favorites or adds and such, 'CM' or 'N' for spam from the dA staff about contests and such... now, whenever you hover over the link, you get a drop down menu, and things are divided into different categories, so now 'C', 'R', 'A', etc are grouped under "Feedback messages", so you never really know offhand what you'll be reading, so it's kind of a gamble anymore.
  5. D'Snowth

Okay, you know what YouTube's problem is NOW? They keep cranking out all these new playback settings like 720p and 1024p that it's impossible to even watch videos anymore... try watching a video on the average 360p setting? The playback is slow and choppy after just two minutes of watching. Watching on what was once considered HD at 480? You've got choppiness almost after just half a minute or so. It's gotten so bad that you pretty much HAVE to watch videos on their new slow-connection 240p setting, in which the video is really fuzzy and the audio is slightly distorted, but it's the only setting that will allow you to watch a video completely with no choppiness, slowness, lagging, etc.

And speaking of audio... is it just me, or does it seem like the audio has been distorted on a lot of videos (when played at a normal setting)? I've noticed a lot of videos I watch regularly suddenly it's like the volume's been lowered, and I'm having to turn it almost all the way up to hear it plainly as I used to when the volume was either halfway or even one-third up.
  6. SSLFan

SSLFan Well-Known Member

No, it's not just you. I'm experiencing that same problem myself. For a second I thought it just had something to do with the new lab top I had recently bought.:p

Honestly, Youtube changes itself TOO often. Nothing was wrong with it before all these changes starting happening. The site itself has gotten worse, IMO.
  7. D'Snowth

And I KNOW that we can't even mention this to YouTube, because they won't listen to us, nor do anything about it./
  8. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

the ads are driving me crazy so i just press f5 to get rid of the ad and it sends me straight to the video :)
  9. D'Snowth

Ads are a problem on a lot of sites, deviantART in particular these past several months.

Are you sure about the f5 thing? It refreshes the entire page for me, ads and all.
  10. Drtooth

my problem is that it's just gotten slow as slime yesterday, and I REALLY hate how if you watch a recommended video or subscription or something it AUTOMATICALLY goes to the next video after it, even if the "Auto play" setting are off.
  11. D'Snowth

In addition to that, everyday I have to go in and manually adjust my account settings, because everytime I login, they're automatically reset.
  12. muppets2

muppets2 New Member

some videos it works others it doesnt it just depends who runs the ad :eek:
  13. D'Snowth

Um... what just happened to Google Images? When trying to do image searches, you get this LONG page of jumbled thumbnails, that only the first 20 or so load, the rest is just gray squares, and when you try to click to view the actual-sized image, it opens up in a Windows Picture and Fix Viewer-esque thingy... :rolleyes:
  14. Drtooth

I'm sick of this "Newerer is betterer" crap myself... I wouldn't mind any changes if it didn't make everything even harder to use. I liked the smaller pages of picture searches that had the websites listed under them. This "We wanna be Bing" garbage is annoying, hard to use, it has a terrible aesthetic... and it's jus' plain OOgly!

I actually don't mind a couple of Deviant art's changes... well... the fact that looking through someone's gallery photo by photo's a tiny bit easier... I actually like that feature.

But Google images is the worst so far.
  15. Drtooth

Another "wonderful" site "upgrade." Now you get an annoying pop up that takes half the screen with you're recommended or activity selections. Yay! That's not annoying at all.
  16. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

This only seems to happen when checking out a subscriber's video via the "Subscription" menu.
  17. D'Snowth

SQUEEEEEE!

YouTube FINALLY fixed a problem with the site: the glitch with the subscription box, now videos disappear again after you've already watched them.
  18. D'Snowth

I'm sorry for posting outside of the only two threads I still update, but I'm here to share some info I found out regarding the current problem with YouTube...

How many of you here have been getting this message on every other video you try to watch...

?

I have too, all week long, and it's gotten worse everyday, BUT, as it turns out, I've figured out what's going on... apparently, this "situation" is only affecting Internet Explorer. My theory is that since Google has really been even more dictatorial lately, going so far as to force members to register Google accounts to link to their already existing YouTube accounts (for added security), this is probably a plot they've cooked up to get people to switch to their Chrome browser.
  19. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I haven't been getting that message, but I recently found that I'm unable to post comments in the comments sections of my most recent videos.

EDIT TO ADD: In one of my most recent videos, I noticed an icon with "!" in it (between the caption icon and the thing that looks like a word balloon). I haven't noticed it on any videos before. Does anybody know what this means? It couldn't be something bad, because I haven't gotten any contacts from YouTube about it.
  20. Drtooth

My videos get stuck in processing purgatory with no actual processing going on. That's the second time now.