1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

NY Times: Fuzzy Renaissance

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Sep 20, 2008.

1. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

Very nice read!

I'm very interested in that "Make your own Muppet" thing at F.A.O Shwarz...

2. monkeyjb1988

monkeyjb1988 Member

I hope this works out. I would love to see the return of the Muppets. I just hope they don't get too santized. Hopefully, it also means the other two season sets for the Muppet Show. Hang in there Muppets. :o :concern: :shifty:

3. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

Well I have read the article and all the comments, and I have to say, it sounds like Disney really wants to do something with the Muppets. If that is so, I can hardly wait.

4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

MFS had a lot of things wrong with it. There where two verisons of the movie one by Jerry Juill and the other by Kert Thacher. Kert's movie is the one shot. Then you have to take that it was released by Sony and there marketing was not done well for the movie. Brian Henson has said that in an old interview, and I can always give you the link to it. So MFS had its problems and is the same with OZ thats why they both did not do as well. because you had to many writers or a problem with the writeres with MFS, and comapny prblems. Look at how many comapnys where involved im making Oz. There where bound to be trouble, plus the fact that Henson sold the Muppet to Disney durring the making of Oz.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I think the article shows truth and promise. Hopefully, they won't let us down at the Mouse House, and it doesn't seem like they will. What they are planning right now is what they should have been doing 3 years ago, though.

I'm happy to see they are beginning to work on bringing the Muppets back to the front of the line again.

6. erniebert1234ss

erniebert1234ss Active Member

You know, I wasn't terribly unhappy with the broken promises that Disney did (I wasn't AT ALL excited about America's Next Muppet, and thank God they canned it).

That being said, I love this article, and it shows real promise!

BTW, I'm obscenely excited for Letters to Santa.

And I am really, really intrigued by the FAO Schwarz Build-A-Muppet deal. I'd love to see THAT in the "reimagined" Pleasure Island!

BJ

7. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I just hope they re-run Letters to Santa more than once, there is nothing worst than missing a tv special :(

8. uppitymuppity

uppitymuppity Member

The NY Times rocks!:D

9. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Lemme just say this... there is a fine line between negativity and skepticism. I'm looking forward to these projects, and I know that they WILL happen at some point. They spent all this money getting the Muppets, and they want to work them out, and have the money work for them as well.

The problem is, and will always be, they just didn't know exactly what to do. A Movie? Considering the last few Muppet Movies didn't do great at the BO, it seemed out of the question. A TV show? Where were they gonna put it? Disney's running Disney Channel stuff... ABC family doesn't do much... and ABC has its own line up to take care of. The best things we could have hoped for were a special at some point, and a DTV project.

I think there is real hope and promise coming out of Disney....
    Now, I AM skeptic about these projects... but just a healthy dose of it. I feel they will happen, but I want to see MORE info... I won't count my chickens until we see physical evidence. I know there will be a movie eventually and a Christmas special (A Christmas special is a can't miss anyway. Look at the loser new specials people have been tossing together...a Freezerburnt Christmas? Yeeechhhh!).

This news article gives me hope. When a project goes from internet buzz to mainstream media, it almost HAS to happen.

10. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

Good read. One question, does anyone know where I can find the interview Frank and "others" expressed disappointment w/ the current state of the Muppets? I've read about his thoughts on SS, but I'm curious about these other statements.

11. Muppet Newsgirl

Muppet Newsgirl Active Member

Yeah - the minds up in the boardroom assume that all the kids are going to swoon, lockstep, over the latest bit of fluffy pop-culture stuff they throw out, and that's always annoyed me - that they think all kids are supposed to love the exact same things.

And here's something: in 1997, it seemed that almost every other girl in my age group was listening to the Spice Girls. I was listening to Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

That said, I'm certain that there are plenty of kids who love the Muppets and couldn't care less about what Disney's up to these days. At least, I hope that's the case.

12. Telly

Telly Active Member

i'm even MORE excited about all of the projects after reading that article! If any or ALL of the projects get cancelled...oh well! I still have my Muppet DVDs to watch!

13. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Wow, it seems that the muppets are coming back to the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade....

Going to be kind of weird with it other Muppet family joining in the parade festivities. :p

14. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

So I mentioned this article to Gonzo and he grabbed up the paper from me and read through it... his response can be seen here.

15. Winslow Leach

Winslow Leach Active Member

Heehee!

Very cute!:)

HUZZAH!:D

16. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

My rambling on the topic...

Well keep in mind that The Walt Disney Company is a giant corporation that employs over 140,000 people, whereas The Jim Henson Company has less than 60 employees!

Disney is 2,400 times bigger than Henson! And they shelled out big bucks for the Muppets back in '04, but they didn't really hit the ground running like everyone initially thought they would - they spun their wheels a bit (due in part to corporate politics, and change in management, and the lack-luster of "Wizard of Oz" which had been started before the deal). I think a lot of fans have been frustrated – as we felt we should be getting big things by the Muppets being at Disney but the output in the first few year (2004-2007) and the total momentum appeared to be just about the same as (if not just a little lower then) their later years at Henson (1999-2004).

Well it took a while to get the franchise situated and comfortable within the company (a huge entertainment powerhouse and cooperation like Disney very different beast than the little ‘mom and pop’ company that the Muppets came from) - not to mention having to develop a strategy to rebuild the brand a bit and relaunch the Muppets as a viable and current brand (and not turn them into a nostalgic brand or a kiddie brand, or alienate the fans or have the characters loose their souls). The Muppets haven’t really had a big hit and huge sustained exposure since the early/mid 1990s (and some would argue it’s been longer then that). But things are looking good for the Muppets now. And I think the big Muppet boom everyone expected to magically happen back in 2004 just took a little longer too get here. But that's because Disney took it somewhat slow and did not just quickly pump out any junk they could slap their newly acquired brand's name on (and then just cast them aside when the next bigger, more profitable, thing came along). They had a bumpy start but Disney is truly trying to relaunch the Muppets for the long haul.

I've talked to many people that work with the Muppet and Muppet Studios, and there a big shift in attitude by everyone -- everyone I've talked too has high spirits and is very optimistic about the future (in a way that hasn't been felt in more than 10 years). This isn't like the other attempts at "relaunches" that we've that seen in the past - where it lasts for about 4 months (usually just around the release of a new film) but then it all dies off -- such as around the release of Muppets from Space (1999), Very Merry Muppet Christmas (2002), or Wizard of Oz (2005) --- Disney is not going to let this the Muppet fizzle out after the next big project -- they are trying to build the brand up in a way so the everyone loves the Muppets again (like they did in the 70s and 80s) and so the next big project is a big success and everyone wants more, more more! This isn't going to be just another a flash in the pan attempt to squeeze some money from these puppets, this is a strategic and planned rebuilding and reintroduction of the Muppets in hopes to get the Muppets back where they belong.

17. theprawncracker

Three things... One, THANK YOU FOR SAYING THAT! ! ! Two... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY! ! ! ! ! ! Three... BRING. IT. ON! :excited:

18. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I would have to agree with you there.

Dave Goelz spoke last year in San Francisco's YBCA of the hard reality in funding and promoting projects. Ideas are everywhere, but it's hard getting companies to sign on and once they do they want some control for their dollar. That can get sticky. He seemed to think things had the potential of happening at Disney with both announced and confidential projects. There was the appearance of hope.

Pot, meet Kettle. The Henson Company has such limited resources compared to large companies like Disney, but they haven't had a firm strategy so nothing substantial projects are coming to market. They have spread themselves too thin. The no longer have the distraction of the Muppet band, but it took them far too long to focus on the Fraggles - the first and brightest thing they should have started with. I mean, the Nightmares & Dreamscapes episode, Mirrormask, the kiddie flicks and the floundering Dark Crystal projects have so clouded the direction of the company in the eyes of consumers. They are finally setting it right, but let's hope they hire a good external marketing team. The Muppet brand is showing solid signs of digging itself out of the past troubles. The Henson Company and Fraggle project, though I firmly believe is happening, is mostly talk at this point.

The Muppets are back on track. They could easily end up a wildly more successful brand with active projects than they were in Jim's final years. I do believe the fuzzy renaissance is coming.

19. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to a great future full of feathers and fur, and that ain't no 'fleece!'

Haa! Hey, this is my "A" material.

20. theprawncracker

If that's the way you wanna "B," perhaps you should just "C" yourself out. :o