Old School Sesame coming to DVD October 2006

What would you rather see on the Nostalgia Sesame Street box set?

• Complete, uncut episodes

Votes: 59 46.1%
  • Compilations of the best skits

Votes: 28 21.9%
  • A combination of a few complete episodes and bonus skits

Votes: 41 32.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SesameStreetFan

Reaction score
I am definetley buying this the day it comes out. I'm just wondering if it's gonna be the first 5 Season premires, or if it will be a selection of 5 random episodes that were never on Noggin. Also I wonder if the 2 hours of classic clips will include any on the street inserts from the early 70's. There's a lot to wonder about that. It will Rock to finally be able to see the pilot. I hope instead of them putting on Noggin episodes a lot of us already saw before, they will air some more important episodes, Like The episode when Big Bird visits the White House, or when David decides to be a lawyer, or mabye some episodes that feature the Monster Family with the original Elmo as Baby Monster. There's a lot of possibilities here, but we will just have to wait and see what comes about.

chpoof

Reaction score
In the description it mentions Wanda the Witch. Was that clip only shown on the very first episode? (I believe that's when it was introduced.)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
chpoof said:
In the description it mentions Wanda the Witch. Was that clip only shown on the very first episode? (I believe that's when it was introduced.)
It was probably in other episodes as well. It was in the video The Alphabet Game.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
SesameStreetFan said:
I am definetley buying this the day it comes out. I'm just wondering if it's gonna be the first 5 Season premires, or if it will be a selection of 5 random episodes that were never on Noggin.
There are a few other alternatives as well. It could be five random episodes that were on Noggin, or five random episodes, including some that were on Noggin and some that weren't, or maybe a few season premiers, a few episodes that were on Noggin, and a few that weren't on Noggin.

chpoof

Reaction score
Who knows which episodes will be on there?

Thanks, minor muppetz. Ultimately I guess we just won't know until they announce it, which I hope will be before the DVD set gets released. I assumed that surely the debut episode would be on there, but now I'm not so sure. I must admit I'll be really disappointed if it isn't.

Mickey Moose

Reaction score
I think this is a great compromise for fans who wanted complete episodes and fans that just wanted clip compliations. I am under the impression the "pilot" they are referring to is the debut episode(the one where Gordon opens up the show with that little girl introducing her to Sesame Street). But I guess we'll find out soon enough.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I think this is a great compromise for fans who wanted complete episodes and fans that just wanted clip compliations. I am under the impression the "pilot" they are referring to is the debut episode(the one where Gordon opens up the show with that little girl introducing her to Sesame Street). But I guess we'll find out soon enough.
The pilot is listed as a special feature. It would be odd to release the first episode as a bonus feature, as opposed to being part of the main program. Also, it said that the pilot has never been available anywhere before. I'm not sure if that applies to TV or just home releases. If Sesame Workshop wanted the press release to say that the first episode will be included, then they shoudl have worded it differently, such as saying "Includes five episodes from the first five seasons, including the very first episode!"

I wonder what masters will be used. It would be great if the original master tapes were used and remastered, like what was done for The Muppet Show's first season, but I have also read that Sesame Workshop has remastered every episode every few years whenever a new type of digital technology comes out, and I know that these masters were not used on Noggin. Since Sesame Workshop spent a lot of money remastering every episode, it would make sense to use the most recently remastered copies for a big release.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a certain budget regarding the number of episodes that can be released on an Old School set regardless of how many discs are included and what the lenght/ amount of features are. After all, I've read that for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs, Warner Brothers only has a budget to restore 60 cartoons or less for each set, regardless of the number and lenght of bonus features. I wonder if Sesame Workshop or Sony Wonder would be willing to release future sets with more episodes, either by eliminating some features or adding an extra disc.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I don't see why he wouldn't. I heard SW has the rights to the old Kermit clips, but they have to have Disney's permission for him to be in anything new. He was in the "Friends to the Rescue" DVD that came out last year, so there shouldn't be any problem.

BEAR

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:

Yeah, it will be interesting to see the pilot and seeing a young Holly Robinson (Peete), Matt Robinson's real life daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.