Oscars 2013

Drtooth

Reaction score
The whole film, tone and subject matter was kinda unfriendly to little kids. If anything, the black and white made it slightly creepier. It plays good to a solid 8-12 crowd (Paranorman maybe 10+), but Hotel Transylvania was its immature cereal colored cacophonous kid friendly best. If it wasn't for that movie, I'm sure Frankenweenie would have gotten slightly better numbers, but I doubt it would get that audience in the first place. I mean, the movie was about a kid who brings his dead dog back to life. That's both depressing and morbid. While HT did have the morbid story of Dracula's wife getting brutally killed (semi off screen), the advertisements basically come off as harmless as a Groovie Goolies-esque frolic.

If you're like, 6 or so, what would you rather see? The horrifying looking project about giant monster pets (thanks to the advertising) attacking the city where the humans are just as ghoulish looking, or the candy colored cartoony looking thing where the monsters are all silly?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
If you're like, 6 or so, what would you rather see? The horrifying looking project about giant monster pets (thanks to the advertising) attacking the city where the humans are just as ghoulish looking, or the candy colored cartoony looking thing where the monsters are all silly?
Which is what I've been trying to say, just apparently not saying it right :stick_out_tongue:

jvcarroll

Reaction score
That's definetley the reason why Frankenweenie didn't do well. I don't think kids want to see such a scary movie in black and white over a colorful CGI movie. It was unfortunate it lost to Hotel Transylvania, I don't think anyone was expecting that.
What is this award that you keep citing Hotel Transylvania won? It hasn't won any awards I'm aware of.

Drtooth

Reaction score
What is this award that you keep citing Hotel Transylvania won? It hasn't won any awards I'm aware of.
I think he means box office. They were, after all, competing films with similar subject matter. Hotel Transylvania won a bigger audience and a long box office stay. Not to mention it won over little kids.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think he means box office. They were, after all, competing films with similar subject matter. Hotel Transylvania won a bigger audience and a long box office stay. Not to mention it won over little kids.
The character design was wonderful, but I just couldn't enjoy it due to Sandler's constant jabbering. The film couldn't go 5 seconds without him saying something. Not a joke or anything important, just talking for the sake of talking. This is the film that made me despise Adam Sandler. I know, what took me so long? :stick_out_tongue:

To be more specific, I felt the film was like going out with a bunch of friends where one person in the gathering monopolizes the conversation. Nobody really cares what the guy has to say and he's just talking to hear the sound of his own voice. He won't shut up or let other people talk so everyone just suffers through it and desperately hopes that he'll figure it out or leave soon. :rolleyes:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Already hated him via the Jack and Jill fiasco.

Still, HT is a kid friendly, colorful film. Frankenweenie was ghoulish and probably nightmare inducing to the little ones. While I preferred Frankenweenie, if I was a parent of young kids, I'd go to the one where the monsters are goofy so as not to have to deal with screaming kids who think a giant turtle (not knowing it's a Gamera parody) is coming after them in the middle of the night. I wouldn't take anyone under the age of 9 to Paranorman. Scary for little kids and I don't think kids would appreciate it as much.

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Monsters Inc 3D was also terrible timing! It wasn't a smart move that Disney did releasing it during the holidays. When people go to a movie during Christmas vacation, they're not usually going to go to a movie they already saw a billion times over a new movie that they can go see. (e.g., Wreck it Ralph). That's why Finding Nemo 3D did well, becuase it was released in an off-season when there was nothing else playing to beat it.
Plus, it was still very easy to find it on DVD or Blu-Ray while it was playing in theaters. (I know it was out of print for that time, but many stores still had copies of it lying around)

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Wh... why did Brave win Best Animated Feature?
I think I was the only one hoping that Brave would win. Why? Well, let's look at the films that were nominated.
  • Brave - While definately one of Pixar's lesser films, it was still a very well-made movie with a very well-told story. The development of both the mother and daughter characters was very relatable and heartwarming, in my own eyes.
  • Frankenweenie - Didn't see it.
  • ParaNorman - Didn't see it.
  • The Pirates! Band of Misfits - Didn't see it.
  • Wreck-It-Ralph - Didn't see it.
  • The Lorax - Wasn't nominated. And it was rubbish.
  • The Oogieloves and the BIG Balloon Adventure - Wasn't nominated. Probably on account of it not being animated, and being one of the worst movies ever made.
I don't know. Maybe my opinions will change over time.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I think you just kind of pointed out the problem with talking about who should win and why. Unless you have seen all the movies nominated, do you really have any right to say X was better than Y and Z and when you have never seen them?

Just some food for thought

As much as I complain about Tim Burton, I still do want to see Frankenweenie. And then I can be a fairer judge between that and Paranorman

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I think you just kind of pointed out the problem with talking about who should win and why. Unless you have seen all the movies nominated, do you really have any right to say X was better than Y and Z and when you have never seen them?

Just some food for thought
I can tell SG was being serio-comedic with that post but with that said, as someone who saw all 5 nominees, Brave was the weakest, at least in my opinion. I'll go so far as to call it Pixar's weakest "good" film (and even I'd consider it far, far away in quality from A Bug's Life which is right ahead of it in my personal Pixar hierarchy). I just don't think Pixar should be rewarded just for making a movie, especially when that movie is, while entertaining, is generic and lacked the emotion and passion it's predecessors had (aside from Cars 2).