Oscars 2013

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
You can read all the nominees right here.

Choosing a best picture for me is actually really hard, I'm curious to see how it ends up.
I think it's really Argo vs. Lincoln vs. Zero Dark Thirty. (Which are all great movies)
I want to see how this year's end up. I think the Best Picture nominees this year are way better than last years. 2012 was a great year in Movies.

• I really hope Frankenweenie pulls in an Oscar for best Animated Picture. It deserves it more than anything else on the list. Glad the Lorax wasn't nominated. (But I'm actually surprised that no songs from that movie weren't nominated, I was expecting that to happen.)
  • Why do I have the strong feeling that The Hobbit is going to win best Visual Effects due to it's High Frame Rate? I actually think it deserves it, becuase the HFR is actually pretty darn cool.
  • Glad the Hobbit wasn't nominated for Best Picture. It might be good, but it's not Best Picture worthy, The Lord of The Rings were nominated, (and won!) probably becuase of it's great cinematography. But I still don't think that means it get's the Best Picture spot.
  • Paperman will win Best Short. No question, if it doesn't, the other short's company must have slipped them some money for them to win.
What are your picks? What do you predict will win?

The Oscars air live on February 24th at 7 P.M Eastern, 4 P.M. Pacific time.

mr3urious

Reaction score
I'm surprised this was nominated for best animated short! Which is great, because I really enjoy this guy's work! :smile:

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Leo DiCaprio was great in Django, why no nomination?

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Burton does not need to win. He doesn't need any more unneeded recognition. I'm pulling for ParaNorman

and what do you mean by the Hobbit's High Frame Rate? to me, a high frame rate is playing a video game at 60 fps

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Leo DiCaprio was great in Django, why no nomination?
You've seen one Tarantino movie, you've seen 'em all.
and what do you mean by the Hobbit's High Frame Rate? to me, a high frame rate is playing a video game at 60 fps
Film is usually shot and projected at 24 fps (in America at least, it's 25 in other countries, hence why European prints of films always sound sped up), Hobbit was filmed at 40 fps, which gave the film it's fluid and nauseating look.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Interesting...I did not know that...

All I know is the average framerate for video games is 30 fps and "good" is 60 *shrugs*

I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference considering how bad my eyes are to begin with

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, there's also a difference in film and video: video in general (tape, digital, games, etc) is usually 30 fps, you're right; but yeah, that's the whole controversy surrounding The Hobbit, because moviegoers are accustomed to seeing movies at 24 fps, so for it to be 40 fps, its projecting appearing so fluid and fast-paced was making people sick, because it was enough to make 'em nauseous.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
It's actually at 48fps. It looks stunning, it's the reason why I really want to see The Hobbit that badly. I bet $20 that it'll win best Visual Effects.

Burton DOES need to win. I was not a fan of Burton until I saw Frankenweenie, I'm actually still not much of a fan. I really hated some of the stuff that he's done in the past, but Frankenweenie was a beautiful, emotional movie and a great dedication to classic horror films. A great movie.

I'm surprised that Ben Affleck wasn't nominated for Best Director. :confused:

I don't think any actors have a chance against Daniel Day-Lewis, he's gonna steal that Oscar. His performance as Lincoln was amazing, deserves it more than anyone else on the list.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
You just described ParaNorman...smaller, lesser known companies need more recognition than someone who gets all the attention by slapping his name on something he wasn't involved in...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
You guys realize you're illustrating the same thing heralde and Drtooth and every body have been saying about award shows all this time, about how fixed they are...