Oscars 2014

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
The tribute to actors who have passed away was done well. It was very touching seeing Egon up on the screen, probably my favorite part of the evening.

My least favorite part so far was that joke of a "Heroes" segment where they kept showing Man of Steel and pretty much ignored Christopher Reeve (Seriously? That's just embarrassing...). Yeah, I get it, they're promoting their upcoming DC movies, yada yada. Doesn't mean I have to like it, lol.

Though they almost saved the segment for me by featuring Kevin Bacon's "Let's Dance!" I was surprised how effective that was, lol. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well if nothing else, I do think Ellen is pretty funny so far. :halo:
Ellen was just about the only thing interesting last night. The pizza gag was inspired. You have to admit that. Too bad none of the rest of the show was funny at all. The montages were kinda... meh. I'm glad that they at least performed the Oscar nom songs, and the tribute was nice. I really think that Bill Murray did a more touching salute to Harold Ramis by squeezing his name into the award presentation. But other than that, did they have to be so dry? While I can respect that they gave the spotlight to an older actress... but did it have to be for animated picture? You couldn't do something funny there? Couldn't have Robin Williams present and just go off on the subject? How about getting Will Ferrel in character as Anchorman? Or Steve Carrel in character as Gru, like he did on Ellen? Nope. Just that actress and Mathew "I did one decent role and won an award for it" droning on about nothing.

Seriously? Not a single hologram of a cartoon character through the whole thing?

My least favorite part so far was that joke of a "Heroes" segment where they kept showing Man of Steel and pretty much ignored Christopher Reeve (Seriously? That's just embarrassing...). Yeah, I get it, they're promoting their upcoming DC movies, yada yada. Doesn't mean I have to like it, lol.
The studio is really to blame for that. I noticed, too, that they used Amazing Spider-Man footage instead of both that and the original. I know technically it's not the same thing.... but I think the studios only gave them the current movie clips of both franchises. Personally, I was more annoyed that the animated heroes segment didn't even feature a single Japanese film (we get it. You guys hate anime and foreign animated film), but had Crappy Feet showing how freaking awful it was.

Oh and Mathew's Oscar acceptance speech. It made James Cameron's Titanic speech look modest and self deprecating. We get it. You've built a career making garbage films, do one decent one and then get the award. No need to be the hugest d-bag in the universe about it.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Ellen was certainly entertaining in her interactions with the audience, ordering pizza for them all and even breaking Twitter with all those tweets. And it's great that the musical performances remained intact yet again. :smile:

drtooth said:
Personally, I was more annoyed that the animated heroes segment didn't even feature a single Japanese film (we get it. You guys hate anime and foreign animated film), but had Crappy Feet showing how freaking awful it was.
And they also had Cloudy in there. :rolleyes:

But at least a foreign film won for best animated short.

drtooth said:
Oh and Mathew's Oscar acceptance speech. It made James Cameron's Titanic speech look modest and self deprecating. We get it. You've built a career making garbage films, do one decent one and then get the award. No need to be the hugest d-bag in the universe about it.
This was my honest response to his speech.

Though in contrast, the Frozen acceptance poem was short but sweet.

Drtooth

Reaction score
And they also had Cloudy in there. :rolleyes:
I'm willing to overlook...well... everything about Cloudy and get to watching and sort of enjoying it some day. But it will be a warm day in the antarctic before I give Happy Feet acknowledgement.

And this is coming from a HUGE Robin Williams fan, too.

Though in contrast, the Frozen acceptance poem was short but sweet.
I know, right? That was one of the big highlights of the telecast. Such enthusiasm and love coming out of those two. Perfectly optimistic, not preachy... and NOT that guy's egostroke. Seriously... WORST Oscar acceptance speech ever, Matt. Can we expect any less from you?