Other puppet shows you watched

Censored

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
I think that's it. For some reason, I thought it was called "Hot Fudge Sundae", but it was years and years ago since I've seen it. I remember that most of the puppets were sort of human looking in a cartoonish way. One of the more memorable characters I remember was the "Kaz" (sp?) who was a parody of the "Fonz".

Censored

Reaction score
Kimp the Shrimp said:
Friends on Wooster Square
A lively group of puppets with personality plus, together with Grace and other "real people" who live in Wooster Square impart basic moral concepts in an entertaining style that makes learning fun.

I Don't recall this but it made me remeber a show on Odyessy channel ( Religious) GILBERT

Yes, friends on Wooster Square was a religious puppet show for kids. I think it was either Catholic or Episcopal. They had a character called "Father Frances." Other characters that I recall were "Screamer", "Goof", and "Super Mouse." I remember seeing it in the early 90's.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a list of puppet shows I've watch while growing up. Any title is bold means I still watch those on a regular basis.

* Sesame Street
* Barney and Friends
* Fraggle Rock
* Under the Umbella Tree
* The Muppet Show
* Mister Roger's Neighborhood
* Lamb-Chop's Playalong
* Muppets Tonight!
* The Puzzle Place
* Bear in the Big Blue House
* The Charlie Horse Music Pizza
* Wimzie's House
* Animal Jam
* H.R. Pufnstuf

That Announcer

Reaction score
One puppet show that I remember watching religiously as a kid was called "Today's Special." It involved a mannequin in a department store that would come to life every night when a magic hat was placed on his head by store clerk Jody. The puppets were old man Sam the security guy, who would sit at his TV and eat jellybeans, and a mouse whose name I can't recall. Is there anyone else here who has ever seen the show?

MrsPepper

Reaction score
That Announcer said:
One puppet show that I remember watching religiously as a kid was called "Today's Special." It involved a mannequin in a department store that would come to life every night when a magic hat was placed on his head by store clerk Jody. The puppets were old man Sam the security guy, who would sit at his TV and eat jellybeans, and a mouse whose name I can't recall. Is there anyone else here who has ever seen the show?
Oh, like, me, fer sure, rully!! That one's on my list in the first post! I remember one time the security guy was trying to break these world records, and they were silly, like the biggest ball of yarn, or how long can you keep a cup of water on your head. :big_grin: Needless to say, they all ended up in disaster!

I was also very fond of Bookmice. A bunch of mice lived in the walls of a old library, and there was a cat in the cellar. The mouse hole was on a mantle I think. I don't remember much else, but the girl muse had pink curly hair, I think.

There is also this other puppet show I remember, but have no clue as to the title. There were various animal puppets, and the show took place in an old house, with a courtyard-like area. There was also a garbage dump area, and this home under a bridge type thing for one of the characters. I can picture the scenery perfectly in my mind, but I cannot recall the characters. I'm positive they were animals though. Cats, possibly. Or Tigers. I believe there was a dog of some sort, the one who lived under the bridge. I wish someone else knew what show I'm thinking about!!

That Announcer

Reaction score
MrsPepper: Any idea where I might be able to get some videos or DVDs of Today's Special? I used to love that show! I would watch it at 7:30 every morning. It was my favorite show on TV at the time, and I've not seen it in 6 or 7 years! :cry: I'd love to see that show again.

The episode I distinctly remember the most was one in which Valdy guest starred. I don't know why, but I just remember that one.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
No, I don't think that it has ever been released for home viewing. It was made by TVO, so I don't think it ever will be, either, as TVO is Ontario's equivalent of PBS (meaning it has donations and members, etc).
BUT, I did manage to find this amazing fan site just now, of everything Today's Special. Check it out!
http://todays-special.schuminweb.com/main-page.asp
It has some clips, so that should satisfy for awhile, anyway. :smile:

Jessica

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Here's a list of puppet shows I've watch while growing up. Any title is bold means I still watch those on a regular basis.

* Sesame Street
* Barney and Friends
* Fraggle Rock
* Under the Umbella Tree
* The Muppet Show
* Mister Roger's Neighborhood
* Lamb-Chop's Playalong
* Muppets Tonight!
* The Puzzle Place
* Bear in the Big Blue House
* The Charlie Horse Music Pizza
* Wimzie's House
* Animal Jam
* H.R. Pufnstuf
I forgot about Wimzie's House! Only saw that like three times though.

MagentaHaiku

Reaction score
I loved:

Under The Umbrella Tree
Mr. Dressup (Finnegan!!)
Today's Special
Sesame Street/Canadian Sesame Street
Polka Dot Door
Square One
Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego?
Bill Nye
Reading Rainbow

Shows that scared the crap out of me:

Slim Goodbody

Funny story: Muffy was supposed to be used on Under The Umbrella Tree but due to how long it took to get the production going, Muffy went to Today's Special and Gloria went to Under The Umbrella Tree.

Crazy!

What are favourite puppets/Scary puppets/puppets that make you want to peel off your own skin- in current television shows?

There's this weird puppet thing in the TV Show Hi-5... And there's this other puppet on this aboriginal children's show that is just a stuffed bear with the stuffing taken out. GARH! NO!

Thoughts?!!?

Magenta

Pug Lover

Reaction score
Does anyone remember ReadAlong?
It was a TV Ontario show with puppet characters that consisted of a talking brown boot simply named Boot,a female talking pink shoe named Pretty,an old woman puppet named Granny and a talking skeleton who sang with a banjo named Mr.Bones.
This show was on during the 70s and early 80s.
One concept I always found strange and never understood,was how these characters often communicated to one another from totally unrelated scenery.
For example:Granny would be talking to someone while in her own cozy house.But the character or person(there were also human children on this show as well)she would be talking to,would be standing on a street corner out in public.