Barney
Allegra's Window
Professor Iris
ah great shows still watch what i can at times

Blink

Reaction score
Pug Lover said:
Does anyone remember ReadAlong?
It was a TV Ontario show with puppet characters that consisted of a talking brown boot simply named Boot,a female talking pink shoe named Pretty,an old woman puppet named Granny and a talking skeleton who sang with a banjo named Mr.Bones.
This show was on during the 70s and early 80s.
One concept I always found strange and never understood,was how these characters often communicated to one another from totally unrelated scenery.
For example:Granny would be talking to someone while in her own cozy house.But the character or person(there were also human children on this show as well)she would be talking to,would be standing on a street corner out in public.
I totally remember this show!

In fact the person who built the puppets for the show is named Noreen Young. You can find out more information about her at her website here. She is also responsible for creating the puppets for the show Under the Umbrella Tree.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I LOVED Today's Special! Here is a list of the shows I used to watch that involved puppets:

Sesame Street
Muppet Show
Fraggle Rock
Mr. Rogers
Today's Special
Pinwheel
Under the Umbrella Tree
Captain Kangaroo (reruns in the very early 80's)
Lamb Chop's Play Along
Dumbo's Circus and Welcome to Pooh Corner - early shows on the Disney Channel, not actually puppets but people dressed up inside lifesize costumes of the characters
I used to watch the Puzzle Place when I babysat in the summer and thought it was quite clever, not really sure why they pulled that one off the air. I never got into Barney.

Kimp the Shrimp

Reaction score
redBoobergurl said:
I LOVED Today's Special! Here is a list of the shows I used to watch that involved puppets:

Dumbo's Circus and Welcome to Pooh Corner - early shows on the Disney Channel, not actually puppets but people dressed up inside lifesize costumes of the characters

they were live people in Winnie the Pooh?

Convincing John

Reaction score
Yes, I remember Readalong! There used to be a link for Readalong, but it doesn't work now...(sigh). But here is another link relating to the characters Boot and Pretty. The article was written by Bob Dermer, the same puppeteer who did Sam Crenshaw (the security guard) in Today's Special! (An awesome awesome show, by the way).

http://www.accucow.com/bootupdate.htm

I remember Pinwheel from years ago as well. At one time, Nickelodeon was called "The Pinwheel Network" and Pinwheel ran for 5 hours! No joke!

And of course, there was the Great Space Coaster! I LOVED this show! Here's a link to it:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Theater/9266/

Kevin Clash performed Goriddle Gorilla, in case you didn't know. Goriddle sounded a lot like Hoots the Owl. My personal favorite character was Gary Gnu. He was awesome!

Oh yeah, for you fans of the Star Wars TMS episode, click on the following link, click "Guest Stars" and scroll down to see a screenshot of where Mark Hamill was on the show:

http://www.geocities.com/tgscoaster/pic2/mpic1.htm

Convincing John

McFraggle

Reaction score
Besides the Henson shows, I watched "Under the Umbrella Tree," the various Disney Channel ones beside "Under..." such as "Dumbo's Flying Circus" and "Pooh...," and of course "Lamp Chop."

That Announcer

Reaction score
McFraggle said:
Besides the Henson shows, I watched "Under the Umbrella Tree," the various Disney Channel ones beside "Under..." such as "Dumbo's Flying Circus" and "Pooh...," and of course "Lamp Chop."
(sound of a 13-year-old screaming in agony and then hitting the floor writhing in pain) NOT LAMB CHOP! NOOOOO!

Actually, when I was young I watched that show quite a bit too.

Beulah Witch

Reaction score
Watched LOTS of puppets growing up!

I saw the Muppets mainly when they appeared on The Ed Sullivan show. My other fav shows that featured puppets were:

Kukla, Fran and Ollie (could you tell??)

Shari Lewis

Captain Kangaroo

Mr. Rogers