Overrated Movies

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
Huuuuge fan. It was my favorite movie throughout most of elementary school and middle school, and it's definitely my second favorite book of all time.
I love the movie, too. :big_grin:

I have a few grieveances with the book, though. 1. It gets a little hard to follow in a few spots. 2. It could have done with a few more chapter breaks. 3. The sequel still hasn't come out yet! (That preview chapter was brilliant!)

Puckrox

Reaction score
I love the movie, too. :big_grin:

I have a few grieveances with the book, though. 1. It gets a little hard to follow in a few spots. 2. It could have done with a few more chapter breaks. 3. The sequel still hasn't come out yet! (That preview chapter was brilliant!)
I want the sequel so badly! He needs to crank it out soon!

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Another thing I think people should keep in mind is that "overrated" and "bad" aren't synonyms. Overrated things just get more credit than they deserve; it doesn't mean they're bad. The Beatles are overrated, but they're still one of my favorite bands, for instance.

Puckrox

Reaction score
Another thing I think people should keep in mind is that "overrated" and "bad" aren't synonyms. Overrated things just get more credit than they deserve; it doesn't mean they're bad. The Beatles are overrated, but they're still one of my favorite bands, for instance.
Agreed. Or like the musical Wicked. I think it's the most overrated thing on the face of this planet, but that doesn't mean I don't adore it with all my heart. (Same thing goes for Glee. Totally overrated, but I love it.)

Frozann

Reaction score
For me, it's The Lion King. It's one of movies I never liked as a child, never got me. I don't understand when everyone starts to compare new animation movies with TLK like it's a God. Many things were stolen from Kimba the White Lion, I do believe in this. Here the comparison goes -- http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm
I don't say that I hate TLK or anything like that. I like it, but all my fondness decreased to nothing because of its intolerable level of overrated-ness of fellow movies appreciators.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
For me, it's The Lion King. It's one of movies I never liked as a child, never got me. I don't understand when everyone starts to compare new animation movies with TLK like it's a God. Many things were stolen from Kimba the White Lion, I do believe in this. Here the comparison goes -- http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm
I don't say that I hate TLK or anything like that. I like it, but all my fondness decreased to nothing because of its intolerable level of overrated-ness of fellow movies appreciators.
I do hold "Lion King" in high esteem, but I also see what you're saying. Disney lifted a whole lot of the story from elsewhere at a time when such things couldn't be as easily checked on the internet. Also there were some rough patches that still annoy me to this day: I didn't like the on-the-nose, rapidly aging visual montage rather than showing a few brief scenes of Simba maturing. I also didn't like the awkward-looking animal pyramid formation in the "Just Can't Wait to be King" dance number. It sticks out like a sore thumb surrounded by an otherwise beautiful standard.

The Disney film that I really loathed when it came out (and tolerate now) is "Aladdin". Yup. This is a film I should have liked, but didn't. After the stunning "Little Mermaid" and the Oscar nominated "Beauty and the Beast" they make this punny, anachronistic vehicle for Robin Williams. I prefer the musical segment of Aladdin running through the streets before all the jokey-Genie garbage. It's a great film for kids! I just think that Disney's rediscovered majesty was watered down by disposable gimmicks.