Overrated Movies

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Phantom Menace would have been a MUCH better movie had the pod race NOT been the main focus and Darth Maul actually HAD a more of a role. DM was the COOLEST thing about that movie, he comes out for 5 minutes, 10 minutes before the movie ends and dies.

What...a...waste.
Agree about the pod race and Darth Maul. Also if the random offensive stereotypes had been removed. And if the dialogue hadn't been painful to listen to. Then it would have been a much better movie indeed. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Agree about the pod race and Darth Maul. Also if the random offensive stereotypes had been removed. And if the dialogue hadn't been painful to listen to. Then it would have been a much better movie indeed. :smile:
I just never got the point of the two whatever they were (politicians, businessmen... both) with the 1920's style Chinese accents. Is there a China in space or something?

The one thing I think the prequels (at least the first 2) did wrong was they showed stuff that didn't need to be seen and they mentioned things in passing that SHOULD have been seen. Extended lines of establishmantary dialogue went on too long, and the whole bit about Padame being Amadalla seemed either forced in or just poorly timed and established.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
The one thing I think the prequels (at least the first 2) did wrong was they showed stuff that didn't need to be seen and they mentioned things in passing that SHOULD have been seen.
Well, ol' Georgie himself admitted that he isn't the best director in the world (Or was it 'writer'? (Eh, the heck with it)).
Extended lines of establishmantary dialogue went on too long, and the whole bit about Padame being Amadalla seemed either forced in or just poorly timed and established.
I'd go with the second option. It felt like it was supposed to be a legitimate twist, but it didn't work right.

Heck, the first time I saw Episode I, I missed it completely and was left wondering why a handmaiden was suddenly leading the troops. :confused:

On a similar track: I think that the Original Trilogy is somewhat overrated.

Sure, they're good movies, but they seem to be among the many fims that time has put on the 'Infallible Perfection' pedestal. To call them anything less than than perfect will open you up for death-by-hate comments in less friendly parts of the Internet. And, quite frankly, that bugs me. :grouchy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I just never got the point of the two whatever they were (politicians, businessmen... both) with the 1920's style Chinese accents. Is there a China in space or something?
Not to mention that Watto's Italian and Jar Jar...yeah. I mean what was the point of that??? It was just uncomfortable and stupid.

and the whole bit about Padame being Amadalla seemed either forced in or just poorly timed and established.
I know even to this day I'm confused. Sometimes it feels like you're supposed to think it's Amadalla when it's really Padme, but then oh nevermind, we didn't mean that!

On a similar track: I think that the Original Trilogy is somewhat overrated.
Sure, they're good movies, but they seem to be among the many fims that time has put on the 'Infallible Perfection' pedestal. To call them anything less than than perfect will open you up for death-by-hate comments in less friendly parts of the Internet. And, quite frankly, that bugs me
Well that's more a reflection on the fans than the movies. :wink:

I hesitate to call any decent movies from years ago overrated, because I don't think we realize just how good we used to have it. Especially compared to the nonesense we're getting now.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Not to mention that Watto's Italian and Jar Jar...yeah. I mean what was the point of that??? It was just uncomfortable and stupid.
I'm still racking my brain on the fact that half of everyone in space speaks in English accents. And those were the better movies. :concern:

But when it comes to movies that are overrated, I have to say... much as I liked it, Shrek was pretty overrated. Not so much the movie itself, but the fact there was at one time 6 or 7 planned. Originally there was supposed to be Shrek goes Fourth... and I guess the next were Shrek Pleads the Fifth, Shrek eats some bad Clams and gets Sick(S), and Shrek's Heart Gives Out, He Dies, and leading a Good Life Goes to Seven. But thankfully, the studio turned itself around (which I'll go into) and let it go after a Fourth ending movie and a few TV specials... though they're still doing that Puss in Boots spinoff (which I swear to frog if it even cuts 2 bucks out of The Muppets's potential BO, I'll lose it). Other than that, the fact that Dreamworks, and everyother movie studio out there felt they had to just rip off the pop culture-y humor with a 'tude model. Dreamworks, for the LONGEST time felt that every film needed an annoying squeaky voiced character in it to be the next "Gingerbread man." Like the random, unfunny and pasted in Shrimp in the dreadful mess they called "Shark Tale."

But I swear, Kung Fu Panda was a turning point, and they've been making better films ever since. It's one of my favorites, and I think Po is a hundred times more likable than Whiny ol' Shrek. In fact, I'm starting to think some of their films are quite underrated now like Monsters Vs. Aliens and Megamind. Really... in a field where the Superhero parody is more stale than a straightforward Comic book, they managed to find the ONE outlet that hasn't been tapped.

But back to Shrek... let's not forget how it also rejuvenated the Fractured Fairy Tales fad (though I hate to give it the same name as those wonderful Jay Ward/Bill Scott cartoons)... those terrible Happily N'ver after movies (why did there need to be 2?), those things Henson did... Hoodwinked kinda... kinda came across in a bad light because of this. I only saw the second one, I enjoyed it, even though it was a total mess. i gotta see the first one. Maybe next time I'm at Five Below... But it really seemed for a while bad CGI movie studios wanted to make their OWN Shrek, not even pretending to copy Pixar anymore.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm still racking my brain on the fact that half of everyone in space speaks in English accents. And those were the better movies. :concern:
Lol, good point. Though not as wierd as having an ape with an English accent in Planet of the Apes. :wink:

But when it comes to movies that are overrated, I have to say... much as I liked it, Shrek was pretty overrated. Not so much the movie itself, but the fact there was at one time 6 or 7 planned.
I think the original Shrek was very good, though I don't watch it a lot. The sequel was OK too. But beyond that more sequels were unnecessary. They should have just given him a TV series if they wanted to milk the franchise. :stick_out_tongue:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Lol, good point. Though not as wierd as having an ape with an English accent in Planet of the Apes. :wink:
To quote Raphael in the 80's TMNT when meeting Usagi Yojimbo:
"He comes from an alternate Earth, from Japan, so naturally he speaks ENGLISH!"

I think the original Shrek was very good, though I don't watch it a lot. The sequel was OK too. But beyond that more sequels were unnecessary. They should have just given him a TV series if they wanted to milk the franchise. :stick_out_tongue:
The third one could have been so much better. It plays better on TV, it had some decent concepts (I loved the princess resistance front, too bad that was only a tenth of the movie), but overall, they spent most of the movie just trying to do the same stuff as the first two, especially the Donkey and Puss having a caustic relationship bit... the part where they switch bodies went on FAR too long to be funny. And over all, I hate character from a previous movie seeks revenge plots. They're unoriginal...

The fourth was very special. There were no far jokes, we actually saw other Ogres, and I feel that the writing was overall a bit more mature in the aspect the 3rd grade gutter humor and non-stop in your face references to other movies were no longer present. I WISH Shrek 3 could have been half the movie Shrek 4 was... but over all, I think the fourth movie was a huge sign Dreamworks wanted to move on. I heard NOTHING but good things about How to Train your Dragon (I missed seeing it in theaters by that much) even Megamind seemed to have some nice emotional bits... but both Kung Fu Panda movies (especially the second one where they decided to make Jackie Chan's character funny...the Chan-man's a riot in his own movies) really felt like they wanted to throw away their old ways and make something more about the story and less about the in your face-ness Sharktale had.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
Overrated... Pirates of the Caribbean series. I get the whole Johnny Depp thing... he's pretty good as the drunken pirate captain, but 4 movies? The story just isn't that interesting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Overrated... Pirates of the Caribbean series. I get the whole Johnny Depp thing... he's pretty good as the drunken pirate captain, but 4 movies? The story just isn't that interesting.
If the story makes money, who gives a crap if it's that interesting?

Personally, he takes all the focus off of MY favorite pirate, Monkey D. Luffy. If I didn't like the movies so much, I'd almost be ticked.

But hey... the WORST thing was when Disney tried (and failed) to make OTHER movies based on theme park attractions. Maybe if Haunted House wasn't a family friendly raucous comedy... Still, POTC SHOULD have been a cartoon series.